Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink New Dimensions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

One of my favourite surf records ever, was the Best Of the New Dimensions released on Sundazed. However the information I have about this band is very scarse. Can anyone tell me something more about them?
Im particularly interested in learn if they ever released anything on 7" 45 rpm. Can anybody help me, please?

I dug up this thread. I had forgotten Michael Lloyd joined up. But like most 60's players, they don't seem to stick around. We probably scare them with all of our rabid interest!

http://surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5936

There aren't any singles listed by them in John Blair's "Illustrated Discography of Surf Music" book.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Between the New Dimensions and The Crossfires they cover all my surf needs

formerly SvD, bots.... member since 2006. Same game different name!

My understanding of the problem with the New Dimensions is that they were so absolutely young (14 or so). On this basis (there must be other factors, however, that interacted with this) their releases were restricted to those three rack job LPs, plus four additional compilation LPs in which they appear. I'd certainly liked to hear more by them.

Brian
I dug up this thread. I had forgotten Michael Lloyd joined up. But like most 60's players, they don't seem to stick around. We probably scare them with all of our rabid interest!

http://surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5936

There aren't any singles listed by them in John Blair's "Illustrated Discography of Surf Music" book.

Holy Cow! I'm bummed I missed this post originally. Very cool that Michael Llyod joined the forum, even for only 2 posts. Come back Mike!

The New Dimensions are without a doubt one of the best surf bands ever. Pick up their "Best of" on Sundazed released in '96 on CD and see for yourself. It blew my mind in '96 and still does. These youngsters had THEE sound,IMO. The 2 live tracks show just how killer they were live as well.

Jeff, how about getting Michael to come to the SG101 convention???

Michael , you out there????

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Tuck
My understanding of the problem with the New Dimensions is that they were so absolutely young (14 or so).

i think that was their strength!

formerly SvD, bots.... member since 2006. Same game different name!

SvD

Tuck
My understanding of the problem with the New Dimensions is that they were so absolutely young (14 or so).

i think that was their strength!

Indeed! It was pretty amazing what these guys were playing at that age. I can see how their age can get in the way of touring and other responsibilities, though.

Yeah, they rule...

shivers13
Indeed! It was pretty amazing what these guys were playing at that age. I can see how their age can get in the way of touring and other responsibilities, though.

Age was definitely a strength for them in some ways. I think the problematic aspect must have been legal - at their age they needed parents to sign contracts for them - but I'm guessing there were additional factors here because in some cases parents certainly did this for their surf musician kids and the New Dimensions parents were fairly supportive. But maybe they were a little too knowledgable for the usual stories to work on them. Just speculation and reading between the lines. Who knows, really.

Thank you everyone for the information and I am sorry to start again this topic, didn't realise there was already one discussion over New Dimensions.

I am particularly interested in learn if they ever released anything on the 7" 45 rpm format.

FredBaltazar
I am particularly interested in learn if they ever released anything on the 7" 45 rpm format.

I'm pretty sure they never released any 45s. However, there is an existing acetate of two songs that I assume were intended for release as a single. The songs are "Phantom Skier" (Instrumental) and "Phantom Skier" (Vocal), both great with the instrumental version ranking in my top 5 for New Dimensions material. Both sides were included on the Sleazy Surf vol. 2 comp put out by I think Deke Dickerson.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Thank you very much indeed Klas.

My old New Dimensions CD is scratched Sad

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

Fret not, JoshHeartless. $3.99 plus a few clams shipping and you can be whole again. Yes

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Thanks for your very kind comments. I was an original member of the New Dimensions (later name change to the Alleykats). As a fourteen year old drummer in one of the hottest surf bands around, we lived music 24/7. The photo featured was taken at the Surf Fair held at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in Santa Monica, CA. There, we alternated sets with a new band known as the Beach Boys. I clearly remember a comment by Brian Wilson as we moved our instruments off the stage to make way for their set. As I passed with my rather new drums, Brian looked at me and said; "You don't plan on making this a career do you?" At the time I just shrugged. Little did he realize just how famous his band would become. Thanks again, my best. Art Guy

Holy Cow! Welcome to sg101, Art! Very glad to have you here. What a great story about Brian Wilson. Being from the East Coast, I missed out on you guys as New Dimensions. But once I found your music here, I really dig the energy and excitement in your music. You must really have had the kids stompin' at the dances. It still makes me want to dance, that's for sure.

Here's a bunch of other topics on sg101 about the New Dimensions.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014 18:54:12

Thanks for that anecdote, Art! The New Dimensions are one of those bands everyone wishes there was more by and about.

Art, thank you so much for dropping by and posting. I hope you can stick around and answer some questions. There are many people on here who are huge fans of what you crazy kids did back then!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

It would be my distinct pleasure to answer any questions relating to the New Dimensions, our appearances, or other questions about the band, our recordings or for that matter anything else I can remember after all these years. My best, Art Guy

Thanks, Art, a lot. One of the things I really love about your recordings is the sheer exuberance of everyone's playing. It's so full of joy, like you're all having a absolute blast. It's all so full of fun and sounds so carefree. The other thing that gets me is how in my face the sound is. Do you know what I mean? Was this intentional or simply a side-effect of the way you recorded your songs?

Which leads me to ask, how did you make your records?

Again, thanks!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next