Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » North Sea Surf Radio »

Permalink The Top 61 of 2013 with "Adiós Sancho" by Los Coronas on #1 !

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Would be great if we could buy the album in the USA!
ferenc

nielsjansen wrote:

The Top 61 of 2013:

1 . Los Coronas - Adios Sancho

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

What an awesome collection of songs!

https://kingpelican.bandcamp.com/

This was my list!!! My number 1 make it as number 3, my number 2 was number #4 and my number 3 was #7!!!!

1. LOS VENTURAS – BEACH BUNNY
  2. SURFER JOE – FIRE ESCAPE ROPE
  3. KANALOAS – MOROCCO SURF
  4. THE PHANTOM FOUR – THE GREEN ROOM
  5. LONGBOARDS – BEACH BUS
  6. MESSER CHUPS – HULLA TIKULA
  7. DIRTY FUSE – WHY DON’T YOU TELL US
  8. LOS CORONAS – ADIOS SANCHO
  9. TWANG O MATICS – FEZ INFERNO
  10. MOBSMEN – ROMAN CENTURION
  11. LOS DERRUMBES – SUNSET
  12. THE VOLCANICS – THE BARON
  13. GOGGLE A – TOKYO DUCK DRIVE
  14. LES AGAMEMNONZ – MARATHON
  15. BIKINI MACHINE – COUGAR 73

Green Cookie records
www.greencookie.gr
http://greencookierecords.bandcamp.com/

Green Cookie Beach
http://www.northseasurfradio.org/#!green-cookie-beach/c3pr

Playlists
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/22677/

Congratulations to:

Neils, North Sea Surf Radio, all the surf people that send their list, all the bands, Los Coronas for #1 and our family here on Green Cookie records that have a track on this list....

LOS VENTURAS #3, #59
SURFER JOE #4, #38, #49
DIRTY FUSE #5, #21, #55
LES AGAMEMNONZ #10, #24, #28, #37
GOGGLE-A #58

MORE RELEASES ON GREEN COOKIE RECORDS FOR 2014!!!!

Green Cookie records
www.greencookie.gr

Green Cookie Beach

Playlists

PolloGuitar wrote:

ferenc

nielsjansen wrote:

The Top 61 of 2013:

I think I saw the CD for sale in a store here in Mexico.
Would you like me to check for you if it is still available?

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

Really? that would be very kind!
Let me know if you can pick it up for me.
Thanks,
ferenc

Emilien03 wrote:

PolloGuitar wrote:

ferenc

nielsjansen wrote:

The Top 61 of 2013:

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

PolloGuitar wrote:

ferenc

Second that. It is available used.

http://www.amazon.com/Adios-Sancho-Los-Coronas/dp/B00BCOL9XA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388777609&sr=8-1&keywords=coronas+adios+sancho

Or buy it from Irvine California CD/DVD Here...

PolloGuitar wrote:

Really? that would be very kind!
Let me know if you can pick it up for me.
Thanks,
ferenc

Emilien03 wrote:

PolloGuitar wrote:

ferenc

nielsjansen wrote:

The Top 61 of 2013:

Ferenc I have it, available in a few days.
Still I don't have a date for the opening of the Surfer Joe Music Store, but it is going to me this month

Lorenzo

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Last edited: Jan 04, 2014 11:53:08

Bad news Ferenc, went to the store yesterday and the CD was already gone.
Surfer Joe Music Store to the rescue!

In my opinion "Adios Sancho" is a great instrumental music but not surf. I do not understand that is the BEST cut surf 2013

Carlos Yela
Surf Music Madrid FB
La Ola Perfecta
Surf Music Madrid site

carlosyela wrote:

In my opinion "Adios Sancho" is a great instrumental music but not surf. I do not understand that is the BEST cut surf 2013

I understand what you are saying but the Latin influence has been in surf music since Latin'ia so you could say Adios Sancho explores the possibilities further.

I think that in this day and age true surf music is a bit of an acquired taste for most folk. If band makes an album as good as this, are prepared to tour it waving the surf flag and it is easy to listen to/influential then it is good for the surf community.

carlosyela wrote:

I also think that, but every mind has a particular & peculiar taste.
Anyway ... what you are saying means a lot 'cause you are from Spain ...
Insane! from The Longboards in my opinion is more on the Surf side.

Los Coronas are currently a great instrumental rock band with three albums of good surf ("Los Coronas" (1995), "Gen-U-Ine Sounds" (1996), "Caliente Caliente" (2004)). It is a great band. No doubt. They have played in Australia, México, Europa, Surf-O-Rama (often), Surfer Joe, North Sea, etc. Now they are on top. And "olé" by them. I've been to three of his shows, one of them two months ago, with 1,000 people. And only playing them!

I would like to hear the opinion of the American public. In USA is where the roots of this music are. Of the 75 voters to the 101 best songs of Revival, 35 or more, were Americans. No song of The Coronas among its 350 or more selected.

(sorry my English)

Carlos Yela
Surf Music Madrid FB
La Ola Perfecta
Surf Music Madrid site

Last edited: Jan 06, 2014 10:38:08

Carlos,
Los Coronas CDs are nearly impossible to find in America. I understand that the band is signed to Sony in Spain, so they don't export to the USA. People here just don't know the music.
I would love to see the band come to tour here, they are very exciting live.
Thanks,
ferenc

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

Last edited: Jan 06, 2014 13:27:20

Dear Carlos,

Let me start by saying that the number of votes you are referring to are only the ones through this forum. We have also received a very high amount of votes through email by listeners worldwide that do not have an account on SG101.

As for Los Coronas being surf or not I have some things to say. Sit down for a long read Wink

With the Classic Surf you can easily divide the music in being pure surf or not. Only early 60´s West Coast instrumentals with reverb would apply by purist standards (a bit simplified but you get the point). Any Euro Instro, Eleki, Rautalanka or pre-surf rock & roll instrumentals do not apply and are officially no surf records. So The Ventures, Link Wray, The Shadows, The Spotnicks and Yuzo Kayama do not belong in the Classic Surf Top 101 by purist standards. We at NSSR have however agreed to let the audience decide what they consider surf music and therefore allowed those bands to enter the Classic Surf Top 101. 99% of music listeners would not be able to distinguish the difference between a track by The Shadows or an authentic surf tune. So we decided to let those “surfish” records enter our charts realising they might not be pure surf. Now that´s as far as the classic era goes, pretty easy to make the distinction IMHO.

Enter the Revival Era. Bands all over the world start making music clearly inspired by the surf classics but all doing it in their own fashion. If you want to apply some new purist rules here what will be the boundaries? the percentage of reverb? the line up of the band? the type of chord schemes? Clearly the origin of the band plays no role anymore. The Surfites from Sweden are probably one of the most “drippy” and “twangy” sounding surfbands since The Astronauts. They sound more purist surf than 80% of the current US bands. So therefore applying boundaries in the Revival era in my opinion is near impossible. If you would apply strict standards where revival records need to be “as close to the original surf sound, structure and lineup as possible” there will be very little music left to choose from. Of the following bands at least 80% of their material can not be considered surf music: Daikaiju (too metal/progressive), Hawaii Samurai (too punk), Messer Chups (too experimental), The Mermen (too progressive/psychedelic), The Phantom Four (too clean/too much world music influenced), Man or Astro-Man (too punk/metal/heavy), The Bambi Molesters (too clean/too much guitar psychedelic instrumentals), Laika & The Cosmonauts (too much keyboards) and I could go on for a while. The same goes for the last Los Coronas album (too much horns/spaghetti Western).

With strict rules the Surf Revival Top 101 would be a totally different list with 10 entries of The Surfites, Surfer Joe, The Mobsmen, Los Twang! Marvels and other wet sounding bands staying close to the original sound. Mind you, even though these bands are among my favourites I think a radiostation playing only purist surf will have too little variety. My mission with North Sea Surf Radio is to reach a wider audience for surf music and get new music lovers interested in the genre we hold so dear. I think by showing the world how this genre has evolved from the “Pulp Fiction music” they all know, to a versatile genre with loads of different kind of vibes, sounds and influences to explore, the chances of people sticking around longer to hear more is bigger. You might call this a commercial consideration, which it maybe is, but I think the surf scene does not benefit from a purist station that only the couple of 1000 worldwide diehard purists enjoy. They are already on board for our music. I think the surf scene in general and specifically the bands benefit more by reaching a potentially bigger audience and by playing all these bands on the boundaries I think we will more likely get the interest to grow. Not that the purist bands in itself are not interesting enough but the variety makes for a more versatile listening experience. I have a very broad taste in music and I prefer a Reggae station that plays Ska, Rocksteady, Roots Reggae, Dub, Mento, Raggamuffin and Dancehall. Not one that only plays Ska 24/7.

Not to insult any of my friends in the US but why would you want to hear your answer specifically from the Americans? Is it because they invented the genre that they now own it and get to decide what is good or right? Are the British the only ones who can say something decent about the US 60´s garage scene because these bands were all inspired by The Kinks, The Who, The Rolling Stones and The Beatles? I think anybody can jump in on this interesting debate regardless of their country of origin. Surf Music is a worldwide phenomenon nowadays and surf concerts in Spain or Mexico draw way bigger audiences than the ones in the US. So let everybody, including the Americans, join in on the conversation.

Dozens of insiders from the surf music scene voted for the Top 61 of 2013, they are all people active in surf music that have heard a lot of surf music in their lives and know what they are talking about. Most of them considered this the best tune of 2013. I do not claim that our lists are the bibles in surf music. Maybe I should say that North Sea Surf Radio is not a station “dedicated to Instrumental Surf Music” but a station “dedicated to Instrumental Surf Music and Surf Music Inspired Instrumental Music”. But this is such a hard slogan to market.

Anyway I am only giving my opinion here and try to explain why we do the things we do and why we do them the way we dot it at NSSR. I am always open to any debate and suggestions.

Best regards,

Niels Jansen
Program Director
North Sea Surf Radio

To submit your surf music to North Sea Surf Radio send the tracks as .mp3 in 320kbps bitrate with correct tags to playlist@northseasurfradio.com via Dropbox.

North Sea Surf Radio: Website- Facebook - Twitter
North Sea Surf Festival: Website - Facebook - Twitter
The Phantom Four: Website - Facebook - Twitter

Maybe we should just call those lists:
Classic Top 101 and Revival Top 101
Just drop the "Surf" word from the 101 lists.
(The Top 61 of 2013 was already without the S word.)
Would that make everybody happy?
Cheers,

Niels Jansen
Program Director
North Sea Surf Radio

To submit your surf music to North Sea Surf Radio send the tracks as .mp3 in 320kbps bitrate with correct tags to playlist@northseasurfradio.com via Dropbox.

North Sea Surf Radio: Website- Facebook - Twitter
North Sea Surf Festival: Website - Facebook - Twitter
The Phantom Four: Website - Facebook - Twitter

Well said, Niels, I agree 100%. Thumbs Up I think it's problematic to try to create boundaries around this music when it's already so far out on the margins. I really think we need to be more inclusive. I know speaking to the Bambi Molesters that they were not comfortable with the surf label simply because they did not want to feel restricted in only playing music that would fit somebody's purist definition of what surf music is. It does seem that many of the best bands, the ones that really make a mark and draw a lot of people to their shows, do feel a need to go further, to push against the boundaries if not even completely jump them. Good for them, they should do whatever the hell they want to do! I always consider it a compliment that any band would want to play anything that sounds like surf music, and if they do, they should be welcomed to the fold and encouraged to keep at it. As far as I'm concerned, Los Coronas are definitely a surf band. Of course, Adios Sancho is primarily influenced by the spaghetti western sound, but so what? To my ears, it's more than close enough, especially as it is played by a surf band.

The other thing is that there really doesn't have to a single, generally-agreed-upon definition of what is and what isn't surf music. For the more trad minded people, it's perfectly OK to limit what you think of as surf music, that's entirely your prerogative. And of course, it's perfectly OK for the rest of us to have a more inclusive definition. It really doesn't matter, except maybe when it comes to programming NSSR - but I trust Niels will do right by most of us in that regard.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Jan 06, 2014 13:58:16

nielsjansen wrote:

Maybe we should just call those lists:
Classic Top 101 and Revival Top 101
Just drop the "Surf" word from the 101 lists.
(The Top 61 of 2013 was already without the S word.)
Would that make everybody happy?

No. Keep doing what you're doing, Niels.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Here is my opinion as a surf music fan and as a label…

I’m collecting and hearing surf music since 1987. That don’t means that I don’t hear or own different styles of records. I believe that music comes from the same core and for many many reasons people creates different styles over the years. The only criteria for my ears is GOOD or NOT.

Surf and istro music is amazing mostly because the musicians has no lyrics to care about and everyone focuses to music and takes it forward. I think that most important is the band or the musician to take all their influences together, mixing them and create their own unique style, that’s the bands that staying in the music history and hall of fame… needs always a personal touch…

One of the main problems is when (mostly) major labels or producers wants to make the music more commercial. Then the band loosing their style.. that’s why I don’t trust some people on “music business”…

Anyway, I can understand what Carlos saying, but let me remind you my friend that MISIRLOU was a traditional Greek song and Dale did his magician… and since we are Mediterraneans I LOVE your Spanish music and style Carlos (I’m paying them again and again on my show) and our Greek middle east sounds (treble spankers, Phantom 4) and spaghetti western Italian style… I NEED more surf bands with this kind of stuff on their music…. but I love the psychedelic style of David from Insect Surfers and the unique mix of classic surf 6t’s music with samba flavor from Les Agamemnonz…. Or the power of the El Ray….

And… everyone who taking surf music one step forward is my pal…..

As a label we are releasing music that we will bought for our personal collection and joy if someone else released it… that’s the ONLY criteria all this years… and we did that with surf, garage, mod, psychedelic even with some kind of blues…

Just want surf music to live ages to ages… so everyone who do that inspiring from love to surf music is welcome….

Green Cookie records
www.greencookie.gr

Green Cookie Beach

Playlists

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next