Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Iconic Drummer Dick Dodd Has Cancer

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

This is very sad news. R.I.P. Dick Dodd.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

This is truly a sad, sad situation. My deepest sympathies go out to those closest to Dick. Like so many lately, he was taken far, far too early. I feel incredibly blessed to have been able to play with Dick twice, both situations made even more meaningful because they were tributes to the late, great Eddie Bertrand. The world is a better place because of the music and memories that Dick leaves behind and the way he touched so many. Godspeed, man.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Dick Dodd was an influence to so many with the ultra cool Dirty Water record, and, of course, all of the surf instrumentals he was a part of. Somebody pointed him out to me at a surf show, and I considered him a true celeb that had made his mark on me as a kid listening to WPGC out of Washington, DC. Such a friendly guy when I got to meet him.

Thanks, Tim, for all of the help you gave him.

Here is the official announcement from his Facebook page. Dick passed at 10 PM PST surrounded by family and friends. He had a set of drumsticks in his hand per the families request. Services and tribute gig pending.

Tim, I was hoping Dick was holding a set of drumsticks as he crossed over. I'm glad to know he was. However friendship and loving-kindness are defined, you personified it with Dick. May we all be such a friend, and have a friend such as you, when it's needed. Peace and comfort to you, Tim.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Tim,
My thanks to you also.

RIP, Dick. What out for the Baja Marty bear hug.

Another gone far too soon.

Here is Dick playing at the Eddie Bertrand benefit. Thanks to Tom Duncan for the video.

I was at Tim's house today cleaning his pool.
And looking in at the Drum set in the dinning room,
That I had seen Dick play at a few rehearsals.
I got very happy remembering seeing him play with such
Teenage enthusiasm. That was just a year a go.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

We lost another good one. RIP. Sad

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

I'm super bummed about this, but so glad that his musical legacy will certainly live on far beyond all of us!

Thanks for all of the updates.

Our deepest sympathy to all that new him. His musical influence lives on and now he's playing in that big surf band in the sky.

CUTBACK

A very sad day yesterday (more today) helping Dick Dodd's family sort through his belongings at his house. His family has entrusted me with his musical equipment. At this time his family is not sure as to the final disposition of his equipment. What I would like to do is have my musician friends, especially drummers come over to my house on Saturday Dec 7 at noon and help me sort through Dick's equipment. Some of the equipment is in great condition. Some needs some TLC. Hoping people can come over, bring some cleaning supplies and help me put all his gear back in pristine condition, determine what some of the vintage gear is and determine a fair value. If you see something you like, you can make an offer to his family and maybe take home with you. I'll serve some beer and pizza and maybe play some of Dick's music. If anyone wants to come over during the week, that is fine also. Everyone is welcome. I'm in HB close to the surf museum.

Last edited: Dec 02, 2013 13:04:56

Sad to hear this - I saw Dick play at the Eddie Bertrand benefit show at Don The Beachcomber a few years ago - I might have met him, even. He was really great that day - full of energy and teen age enthusiasm. Funny too. He threw several dollar bills on the stage, as a jib at Eddie Bertrand, who used to fine the band members for mistakes back in the day. I couldn't hear the errors he made Smile

One of my favorite parts of surf music is the sense of urgency in it, particularly in some of the original recordings. Dick Dodd is the sound of that urgency. From Squad Car, to Scratch, he was the force that drove Eddie B to play them the way he did. The YMCA Hollywood bowl show below is a fine example of what a force he was.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

This is such a shock and so saddened all weekend. It was just a few weeks ago Blair was talking about upcoming gigs. Life turns so fast.

Tim bless you for being there throughout Dick's battle. Blair too.

I didn't know Dick, played phone tag for years but only spoke a few times. The first time was when he heard there was going to be a benefit for Ed and he called insisting that he be there. I don't know why he thought to call me LOL. When he first got up on stage I didn't know what to expect. But WOW! I was blown away by his drumming at Eddie's benefit, wasn't what I was expecting. Definitely at THEE top of the game and made it look so easy. Was so looking forward to seeing him play again.

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

Here's a brief bio with highlights of Dick's musical career from the Daily Breeze. RIP, Dick Dodd. It was a pleasure seeing you having fun at Don the Beachcomber's benefit for Eddie Bertrand.

UPDATE:
No formal funeral service is planned for Dick per his wishes. What he did ask for shortly before his death was for for his friends and especially his last band The Dodd Squad to come together, have a drink and rock his music. Accordingly a big tribute is being planned for March, 2014 on a exact date and at location to be determined.

The tribute will feature his music from the Belairs, Eddie and The Showmen, The Blitz Brothers and The Standells.

The Tribute will feature Standells co founder and lead guitarist Tony Valentino, Danny "Daddy-O Grande" Amis of Los Straitjackets, Danny Horter, lead singer of The Yellow Payges and John Blair. More artists to be announced.
updates at www.dickdodd.com
www.facebook.com/dickdirtywaterdodd
Twitter @BostonDickDodd

Very cool, thanks for the word on that Tim.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Dicky's obit appeared this morning in the Atlanta Journal. Much more than just a notice of his passing, it was well written including mention of his stints with both the Bel Airs and Eddie and the Showman.

Thanks HB for all that you do, you are an amazing fellow.

Season's Revevbs,

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

We continue to receive many inquiries regarding services for Dick Dodd. His family has planned a service and memorial tribute concert celebration of Dick's life that will take place in March 2014. We are seeking a suitable venue. When a suitable venue is determined, a date and location will be announced. We anticipate an announcement near the first of the year. Tony Valentino, lead guitarist and co-founder of The Standells has committed to participating and performing. Stay tuned for more details.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next