Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Who Is That Guy? Iconic Surfer with Jaguar in Fender Ad

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Okay, this is the last picture I'm posting, unless Randy puts up a better one. Big Grin But it's a really good picture of Jon. I think it's by Peggy Robinson.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I know what I said, but then there's this one from the day the ad was shot. I couldn't not share it.

From Randy,
It was new when Jon knee paddled out. He caught a wave, swung it around and played while ridding in. Jon stepped off onto the sand and they put it in a box and shipped it. Didn't have to wipe off a drop. Here's the ride and afterwards, going back into the box. Notice Jon's hair is dry and in place still. Jon was an excellent surfer and had great style, as you can see.

_image

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013 12:21:13

Ya, that was posted on page 2.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

Ya, that was posted on page 2.

Oops! Sorry. Here. I still think Randy's quote is added value.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013 13:17:11

You should watch the previously posted video first. But I thought this was also interesting.

Last edited: Feb 09, 2014 07:31:21

This is more information than we ever could have hoped for. Thanks. I am very pleased to know that Mr. Martin has such good friends who are looking out for him and that he is receiving some well deserved recognition.
~Cheers to all!

I see from the link ref this is in the Shallow End. It would not be much of a leap to suggest that this is one of those threads with (emotional closure) that could sit in the very best of SG101 area.

Excellent - thrilling - awesome - and a '66 Malibu SS convertible full of other superlatives.
W O W

Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Done!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

This has been a very entertaining read Smile Thanks Scott for raising the question, Shivers13 for helping to solve the mystery and Noel for the cool vids !

"Duck Tape is like The Force: it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Speedball-JR/151771678181829?fref=ts
https://twitter.com/SPEEDBALLJR
https://itunes.apple.com/be/artist/speedball-jr/id389972205

I loved the part in the article where
Shivers13 said: Mystery solved!!!
Randy Nauert of The Challengers says.... this is Jon Martin. I spoke with him a few days ago. We'll be visiting in Newport when he returns from Idaho in a few months. The photo was taken at Doheny, in one ride. Jon knee paddled out with the new Jag and caught a wave, stood up and swung it around for this photo. They put the guitar back into its case and sold it.
And in the next post,
Scott01 said: Going to need a bit more information regarding Jon Martin, before we are able to call this case 'closed'.
And nobody caught or at least mentioned the irony that he was challenging The Challengers.
Scott, you are a master sleuth yourself! You did do a lot of footwork getting to the bottm of this.
This was a great episode of Unsolved Mysteries!
This is definitely one of Surfguitar101’s BEST Threads. And what a great ending, from an iconic, mystery-laden Black and White photo to the full-color Video Interviews.

Aloha Y’all,
Mr. Backwards

PS I also had the pleasure of seeing The Challengers at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium, back in the day….Mr. Backwards aka Senor Grampa.

"To do, is to be" Aristotle ~ "To be, is to do" Socrates ~ "Doobie, doobie- doo" Sinatra

And so, 49 years later...

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

^^^^^ Holy cow, that's quite impressive! ^^^^^^^

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Horrible tone,
But yeah impressive.
Lake surf music at its best

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The iconic Fender ad with Jon Martin surfing with a Jaguar keeps showing up, and bringing back a flood of good memories. Seems time to bump the thread. Just scroll up a bit.

I loved reading this thread when I first joined, excellent bump!

Daniel Deathtide

Jon Martin member of The Newporters (along with Scott Engel and John Stewart).Their single on Scotchtown 500 from September 1963 is a gem.
Adventures In Paradise / Loose Board
see John Blairs book for a label scan:
"The Illustrated Discography of Surf Music 1961-1965, 4th edition 2008
page 82 !!

Thank you!

tired wrote:

Jon Martin member of The Newporters (along with Scott Engel and John Stewart).Their single on Scotchtown 500 from September 1963 is a gem.
Adventures In Paradise / Loose Board
see John Blairs book for a label scan:
"The Illustrated Discography of Surf Music 1961-1965, 4th edition 2008
page 82 !!

bigtikidude wrote:

Horrible tone,
But yeah impressive.
Lake surf music at its best

His tone is due to the fact that he is surfing in a lake. If he was in the Ocean his tone would be completely different!

Jon Martin member of The Newporters (along with Scott Engel and John Stewart).

I don't think Jon Martin was a member of The Newporters. References?

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next