Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Iconic Drummer Dick Dodd Has Cancer

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Dick Dodd is the iconic first wave surf drummer of The Belairs as well as Eddie and the Showmen. He went on to fame as drummer and lead singer of The Standells and sang Dirty Water which is listed in the The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's "500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll."

Saturday I received a phone call that Dick Dodd was very sick and unable to get out of bed. I took Dick to Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center in Fountain Valley, Ca. After undergoing a battery of diagnostic tests, Dick has been diagnosed as having stage 4 cancer of the esophagus. He also has cancerous lesions on his spine, spleen and liver. This is very serious.He will be hospitalized till further notice undergoing treatment.

Dick will be incurring tremendous expenses as a result of his treatment. His attorney has established a fund where people may donate to assist him. http://www.gofundme.com/4x9opk

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013 12:39:09

Oh, No! ... Words are simply failing me.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013 20:56:21

Oh no. My thoughts go out to Dick and his family and friends. I'll be sure to tweet and share the donate link.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Good on you Ken for helping him. Prayers sent.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013 23:03:55

This is awful news, especially so soon after losing Eddie. Here's wishing all the best to Dick - fight like hell!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

New website for Dick... http://dickdodd.com/

Ask Dino Show with Dick Dodd.

Please let Dick know we are all thinking about him here at SG101

10/24/2013 Update:

Last night Dick watched the Red Sox victory over STL. Watching the TV in his hospital room we could hear Dirty Water over the Fenway PA system and Dick singing. He was all smiles.

Today treatment starts. Dick will be undergoing several very difficult procedures. He also starts chemotherapy and radiation. He will likely be very tired and uncomfortable for the next few weeks.

In lieu cards and flowers we request you email your thoughts and wishes to Dick at dickdodd@yahoo.com. I will make sure Dick sees each and every email.

Dick asked me to pass on to everyone how grateful he is for your thoughts, prayers and donations. To those who have his cell phone number and have left messages he has received and greatly appreciates your messages. He is just too tired to respond at the moment.

Dicks goal at the moment is to be well enough to sing Dirty Water at the Red Sox World Series ring ceremony on opening day 2014 in Boston.

More updates as information becomes available.

Tim Ferrill
www.dickdodd.com
www.facebook.com/pages/Dick-Dodd/467565283329382

Last edited: Nov 05, 2013 17:16:10

Not to change the subject but I was surprised to see that Ask Dino show. We went to the same elementary and high schools and when I was 17 I played bass in his Top 40 band.

God bless you, Tim, for everything you're doing for Dick. That is just amazing. With people like you around him, Dick beating this nasty thing is almost guaranteed!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Terrible news. Dick is such a great guy. Such an honor and a pleasure to have seen him play. He has the spirit and soul of a young man. I really hope he can beat this.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Bad news, indeed. Hoping for the best.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Here is a picture of Dick at a recent gig playing a guitar formerly owned by Ivan.. John Blair in the background.
The latest update is here www.facebook.com/dickdirtywaterdodd

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013 09:35:39

Wonderful pic. Happy times for sure. Thanks, Tim.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I took Dick back to the hospital at 5 am this morning. Dick was readmitted. Situation not looking too good. Might know something later tonight. The most current updates will always be at http://www.facebook.com/DickDirtyWaterDodd.

He's in my thoughts. I have nothing but reverence for the Standells. Best music ever created IMO.

Since I'm not on facebook, I really appreciate you keeping us apprised, Tim...not to mention being there for him. He's been in my thoughts and prayers since this first broke.

Everyone should have a friend as good as Tim. All the best to Dick.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next