Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Dave and the Customs / Terry Wooten

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Im not sure where to start , but i just discovered a photo with my father (terry wooten) playing bass with Dave and the customs, this was news to me since he died in 72 and i was only 5 at the time any info would be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013 21:08:21

Their song Ali Baba is considered by many
As a surf classic.
Welcome to SG101

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks a bunch

Awesome. We were talking about your father's band earlier today!

Dave and the Customs rule! I don't think much is known about the band, unfortunately.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I can't say I know much about them beyond Ali Babba...Although it is still one of my favorite songs to cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vvqi1VrKv8

formerly SvD, bots.... member since 2006. Same game different name!

That's awesome, I hope to learn more about my father and the band, I love the music.Ive been listening to this music for years and never knew it was in my blood.
I can tell you guys this though,my dad tried the army thing for awhile, he had a rough time.He got married in the late 60's,had two sons in 67and 69 then died of melanoma in72. During this time we lived in LaPuente ,Ca. I remember after he died, i was playing with that bass guitar, and some how got electricuted.
I have only a couple more pics and a handfull of memories , if you guy's dont mind, I can share them later.

GREAT SHOT!! Ali Baba is a classic. They recorded three 45 singles according to John Blair's book. Do you have any of the other Dave and The Customs singles?

I was looking for more stuff on Youtube and I only found them doing the Byrds' tune "He was a friend of Mine" in 1966.

wooten2 wrote:

Im not sure where to start , but i just discovered a photo with my father (terry wooten) playing bass with Dave and the customs, this was news to me since he died in 72 and i was only 5 at the time any info would be appreciated.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

I wish i had more then this picture, but I don't. I'm still scrounging for info, its looking like he was a early member of the band until Dave's brother took over the bass, I have no idea of what happened. Everything seemed to happen before ali babba.

I received an email today with the subject: Dave and the Customs original founder and author of Ali Baba alive and gigging in so calif.

Here is the text:

Please post my:
www.markz-theonemanband.com
on ur website. I am still doing music and want to let people that one of the original brothers are still alive and well.
Thank you,
Mark Zdunich, Dave and the Customs

I see that a markz signed up, so maybe he can answer any questions about Dave & The Customs?

Wow, cool thread, hadn't seen this before. Would be great to get him to a legends jam or something.

So my first question for Mark is, what was it like having Benicio Del Toro as your drummer?

Joking aside, I love Ali Baba. Dave and the Customs rule!

I have two singles by the group:
Ali Baba and Mizerlou.
(In the 1980s I had written an article for "California Music Magazin"
in Australia about different versions and the writing of the Misirlou, Miserlou, Mizerlou etc.)

Maybe my single came from the same source as there are the handwritten
names on it as well.
Ruediger

I wouldn't be unhappy if you were able to transfer Mizerlou up to youtube..

I received some email a few weeks ago from someone named Cindy who got to see and hang out with the band when she was a child. She was kind enough to send along these memories. It's nice to know random people Googling for surf bands find threads on SG101.

My brother's name was John Sarnowski. Dave and the Customs played in our garage on Villa Park Street in LaPuente. It was quite an event. I suppose I was around 8.

As best as I remember, I think they weren't allowed to play in their garage. I know that it was summer because I was barefoot. Wanted to talk to Mark and touched his guitar and got quite a shock! There were a lot of teenagers around and I also remember a girl crying on the side of the house because she had such a mad crush on one of the brothers. Dave and the Customs were a very big deal. That was my Beatle moment!

Cool,

seems like a lot of electrocution going on back then.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Brian wrote:

I received an email today with the subject: Dave and the Customs original founder and author of Ali Baba alive and gigging in so calif.

Here is the text:

Please post my:
www.markz-theonemanband.com
on ur website. I am still doing music and want to let people that one of the original brothers are still alive and well.
Thank you,
Mark Zdunich, Dave and the Customs

I see that a markz signed up, so maybe he can answer any questions about Dave & The Customs?

I believe Zdunich is a Croatian last name - nice to see that at least one ethnic Croat was part of the first wave!! Big Grin (Any idea whether Mark is still part of the forum, Brian?)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

(Any idea whether Mark is still part of the forum, Brian?)

Unfortunately last login was July 2016, the same day he registered.

I wrote Mark a while back on facebook asking him if he was indeed the same Mark from the Customs and got a positive response. He expressed quite a fondness for those times with the band. I encouraged him to come here and share more memories but so far no such luck. I didn't realize he had already been here.

Hello all ,I lived down the street from Dave z.and Mark z. Dave and the customs I lived on Lanaca St, La Puente Ca, I was 9 or 10 when there band played all around d neighborhood, I was so inspired by the band I started playing guitar and still do ,have had a pro career in music. I knew the members of Dave and the customs,brothers Dave and Mark,Ken cookie Cook drums,Terry Wooten Bass, also another bass player for a bit name Ronny Blue. I will never forget these guys,I am 67 years old now . Thank you

Goto Page: 1 2 Next