Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Garaza: The Bambi Molesters

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Sorry if this is a repost, but...holy Toledo!

...29+ minutes of Zagreb's finest combo!

"Garaza" The Bambi Molesters of YouTube

I've never seen it before. So thanks a whole lot! I hope one day to see them play, live and in person, right upfront so I can be overwhelmed by massive swells of the dark waves of their music.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Oct 09, 2013 08:27:29

Amazing, thanks Dave!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Worship
I have seen it before, but it once again strikes me as maybe the best example for songwriting being way more important than outboard reverbs.

I'm off, working on my tunes... Sigh

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Ivan,
Can you translate the interview for us, please?

Thanks

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I think I may have translated this the first time around. I tried to search for it, but couldn't find it right now. Can anybody find where it's been posted before on SG101? My translation may be there.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

I think I may have translated this the first time around. I tried to search for it, but couldn't find it right now. Can anybody find where it's been posted before on SG101? My translation may be there.

Ivan, I'll look for it, but can you remember any search words that might help?

Is this it?

Nope, not same interview, but still interesting! Is this perhaps the one you were thinking of? I'll keep looking.

Last edited: Oct 09, 2013 11:42:10

Noel, I did a bit more searching, and I couldn't find it, so don't worry about it. I think I was thinking of the one you linked above. I'll try to find the time to translate this one soon.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

There are two topics with references to the Garaza show.

http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/9250/?page=9#p175689
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/14313/?page=2#p192446

Neither, that I noticed, have a translation of the interview.

I just saw your comment, Ivan. I think we all look forward to your translation. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 09, 2013 11:49:30

The first interview (from 4:55 to 7:22):

G: Good day, much respect, Bambi Molesters, how are you?

L: Good.

G: It's been a long time since we've last seen you.

L: Yes, we've had a bit of a longer pause, about two years. Now, we're back, working on a new album, and we're going to play some of the newer songs.

G: Glad to hear that. The pause was for a creative break, to get some new ideas?

L: Yes, that, but also for some personal reasons. New little creatures....

G: Congratulations! Girl or boy?

L: Boy, for us, and Dalibor also has a boy.

G: Congratulations! That's a fun group now! So, if you were to tell your child about the Bambi Molesters, where would you start, in 1995 or elsewhere?

L: I'm not sure I would tell him... [laughs]

G: Why? Let the music do the talking?

L: Of course, that's the best way, he can figure it all out himself. But yes, it's been a long development, we've been playing for 15 years now, which when you say 15 years it sounds like a really long time. We've had many things happen, playing outside of the country, playing here, we've collaborated with a lot of people, which has been great, one of the best things we've been able to do as part of this... let's call it career.

G: How did those collaborations happen?

L: I don't know, it was always one thing leading to another. It started by us often playing in Slovenia when we first started since there weren't many clubs around here to play around '94. So, you meet a few people, they introduce you to somebody else, some people hear you and tell others, and so it goes.

G: Is that what happened with ????? (I don't understand which band she's mentioning here - REM?) How was it with them?

L: With them it was super. It's a big circus. A big show, lots of people, lots of people working for them, they are wonderful people, and they were super to us, we were treated the same as they were.

G: That's how it should be, you deserve nothing less. You're from Sisak [a Croatian town], coming from there in '95, but one of your songs is now used in Brazil, right?

L: Yes, [Lada is talking about some TV show or production company that I don't know and can't understand here]. One of our songs is at the beginning, over the titles, and they used another song.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

The intro:

Hello to all from the Garage. Today we have the great honor of hosting a great band that's not only internationally renown and praised, but has also had many international collaborations and has played with many artists that we greatly admire. Today here with us, so we can admire them and their surf rock, they are the Bambi Molesters.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Very cool, Ivan. Thanks!

The second interview (from 15:15 to 18:08)

G: Here I am again. Let's talk about this long-awaited next album, after the break and everything. First let me ask, has your sound changed since '95, as you've been relying on this vintage surf rock from the '60s, has that changed at all?

L: You mean on this new album, on which we're now working? Yes, it actually has. Not in some huge way, it's always going to be us, but we're broadening our sound, we have a string section on some songs, a horn section, and so on.... Of course the sound changes, it changes every time we do something new, we're listening to new music. we're probably new people, and so the sound changes.

G: Especially now due to the break, as well...

L: That, too.... [laughs]

G: How much do the reviews - and they're fantastic reviews, for example in magazines like Rolling Stone and Mojo - give you some kind of a push? Do they do that, or is it that you're glad to see them but you're really just on your own path?

L: I think it's more the second. It's always nice to see that somebody has understood you. But I don't know that we'd be doing anything differently if somebody was to write that something was no good. With music you can't satisfy everybody, but you have your own audience, you do what you love and you do it how you think it should be done...

G: How is your music created? Does somebody write it all?

L: It depends. Until now it was mostly Dalibor that did it. On the new album he wrote some of it himself, some of it was Dinko and Dalibor, some of it was done by us three, all different sorts of combinations, so we'll see...

G: So, what should we expect on the album? How many songs?

L: Well, so far, well, I don't know... We're finishing it now, but it definitely won't be less than 12. So, let's say around 12. [laughs]

G: So, what stage is the reocrding in? Are you going in and out of the studio, or....

L: Half the songs are recorded, the new single - which is already in rotation on HRT - is finished, the video for that is finished, so we have about half of the album to record.

G: So, it could be out in the Spring?

L: It'll be out in January, even sooner. We're fast in the studio.

G: You really are. That's going to be coming soon. You mentioned the video. How are you doing in that regard?

L: This first video is for the song that we're just about to play, it's the first single, "As the Dark Wave Swells". We're very fond of this video as it was done by a friend of ours who is an excellent German director, he has an independent film production studio, and he did it based on some of his feelings, how he experiences our music.

G: And there was an old collaborator of yours that worked with you on this album...

L: You mean Chris Eckman? With Chris we've developed a collaboration which has now lasted a long time, it's not collaboration, it's friendship. He's currently producing our new album.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Thanks, again, for translating this program for us, Ivan.

Thanks dp and Ivan! I put this on the front page as a featured video. It's really great.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Oct 09, 2013 19:33:00

You're very welcome, Noel and Brian, I was happy to do it.

Translating this made me think yet again how the Bambis are really in a completely different class than most of the rest of us - making videos, having their single in rotation on their national radio station, getting CDs reviewed in huge music magazines, friends with actual rock stars, recording with a real string section, and on and on and on....

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

You're very welcome, Noel and Brian, I was happy to do it.

Translating this made me think yet again how the Bambis are really in a completely different class than most of the rest of us - making videos, having their single in rotation on their national radio station, getting CDs reviewed in huge music magazines, friends with actual rock stars, recording with a real string section, and on and on and on....

That's true, Ivan. We all know how terrific they are. All their coverage and accolades are well-deserved. But it seems to me some large part of all that is the difference between the American and European music scenes. And not just European but other non-American music scenes such as the Mexican and South American scenes. The large enthusiastic crowds we've seen at very large shows, television programs named some form of "garage" that provide national exposure; these reveal a completely different musical environment than everyone here plays in.

Here, MOAM, Daikaiju and to an extent LSJ, seem to have transcended the limits imposed on everyone else here, by the musical superhighway that completely by-passed the genre. They somehow found the on-ramp and joined the rush. I think, perhaps, the other music scenes allow far more variety in the music they accept than ours. Here, if it isn't hip-hop, country or pop, it just has to struggle on its' own.

As great as the Bambis are, there are many, many surf bands represented on SG101 that could have achieved similar status and recognition if they weren't limited by the music scenes they play in.

IMHO. YMMV.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013 18:19:29

Excellent post...I watched the video with wide eyes late last night. Ivan thanks for translating. I enjoyed reading that as well. So what is the latest news..any word of a new album?

Looks like the Bambi Molesters were on TV again. Smile
Another rough 30 minutes! Enjoy!

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014 09:01:16

Goto Page: 1 2 Next