Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Anyone ever try to play Surf Music on acoustic instruments?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

I dunno. Unless something better turns up for the same money, or as good for less, I guess I'll be getting the Sonoran. It does seem the consensus is, it will get the job done pretty well. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013 23:03:31

Good luck! No doubt a good guitar. Stylish, too!

IMO.

This may be a nice acou. hybrid for those surf-set's?
Danelectro Convertible

As for the Goya Levin's mentioned earlier, their models can be among the best bang when it comes to an all solid vintage acoustic. I also used to buy and restore alot of the Japanese made Sigma Martin's, very nice in sound and quality, usually above compared to the entry/mid level Martins of today, and for a fragment of the price. This will only apply to the ones made in Japan between 1970 and 1983.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013 03:20:31

Rudi, I've never seen one of these. Looks very cool. Fender have similar Strat and Tele-shaped hollow-body acoustic electrics. Hadn't really given them a thought. There was a White Stratacoustic in the same guitar shop last year selling for about $130. Didn't bother to play it. Wish I had. I guess I should've bought it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013 09:00:31

Well, it's mine now. I was wrong about a couple of things. It's the new V2 with a lot of improvements over the previous version. Lower action, 3-ply guard, bone nut and saddle. The saddle is compensated, but I think it was on the earlier one, too. And, it's Lake Placid Blue; says so right inside. I think the electronics are upgraded as well. The battery is down by the jack instead of up at the pre-amp controls. It's more than enough for my needs. Nice guitar.

Oh, and later, will someone please remind me not to downsize by getting rid of this unless it's to replace it. I wouldn't have had to buy this if I hadn't downsized away it's predecessors (an acoustic dreadnaught & a mini-jumbo acoustic-electric. I actually thought I'd never need them for anything. This replaces those two guitars. At least it takes up less space and can cover both needs.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013 12:45:10

Congratulations!

heepeejeep wrote:

Congratulations!

Thanks! It is a little bright or thin, as I think others have alluded too. Nothing warmer strings and fiddling with all the tone knobs won't solve. Plus, I think it will sound nice under dueling guitar leads. A lot of the music planned for this project have a lead guitar and either vocal or organ parts played by a second lead guitar, plus the rhythm part. I like it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013 13:23:47

Hammond101 wrote:

Super! Time to woodshed.

Yep! Gonna spend a lot of time there now! Big Grin

Congtats Noel. Nothing like a new guitar experience to bring out some creativity!

Keep it Drippy Brothers and Sisters!

More Surf Uke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3PSGePtdb0

My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins

Last edited: Oct 09, 2013 23:41:39

Thanks, Jeff. That's exactly the idea, though not with ukuleles. One would be interesting, tonally. Two lead and one rhythm guitar. Rhythm on the uke? Which one?

I'm looking forward to getting this project started. I've recruited one lead guitarist already and just need one more.

caddady wrote:

I was in the market for a Telecoustic or a Stratacoustic when I found the Peavey. Used Strat/Telecoustics are going for 150.00 USD. I wanted a thinner body than a standard box.

It's a little late to the discussion, but I think this video conveys pretty-well the capabilities of the Stratacoustic,

I've always wondered what would happen if you stretched a spring or two from the bridge or cone to the neck block on the inside of a Dobro type guitar. I might not 'drip', but I would think it would resonate nicely.

Now I just need a Dobro...

As for a band situation, a baritone uke would make a great rythm instrument (its tuning is close to guitar too). Upright bass sounds cooler, and bassier than an acoustic, and some found object/trash can style drums would sound cool, and not overpower.

MPoppitt wrote:

I've always wondered what would happen if you stretched a spring or two from the bridge or cone to the neck block on the inside of a Dobro type guitar. I might not 'drip', but I would think it would resonate nicely.

Now I just need a Dobro...

As for a band situation, a baritone uke would make a great rythm instrument (its tuning is close to guitar too). Upright bass sounds cooler, and bassier than an acoustic, and some found object/trash can style drums would sound cool, and not overpower.

There's this, which seems to work well. Ukes are a great idea; I have to try that. And, I think bongos sound terrific with acoustic surf music.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013 11:39:01

That's pretty cool. I can't help but to think that the 'mechanicalness', and added movement of a Dobro style setup would get the springs movin' better.

I also had the idea of using an acoustic's pickup output to drive an external, possibly acoustically tuned box with bigger springs (like screen door springs). You'd be able to kick it too!

You'd have to amplify the signal somehow to get the springs going, and that's above and beyond my electronical prowess.....ahh, surfer's pipedreams....

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013 14:00:57

A little update, with thanks to everyone who chipped in with ideas about an acoustic-electric for surf music. Though I've played around with it before, I spent some quality time with my Fender Sonoran today, playing the rhythm part to The Intoxicators' Phantom Mustang. It plays very easily and sounds bright, full and balanced with reverb through the Quilter MP-200, just like Ferenc said it would. Not harsh at all. Looks very cool in Lake Placid Blue with the matching blue Strat headstock. I like it a lot, much more than the guitar it replaces.

So the point of this update is that this isn't a bad guitar for the money, and is a pretty decent guitar for acoustic surf music. And one more thing. Just like the pictures shows, it does look more green or blue, depending on the quality and quantity of light that falls on it. It looked green in the guitar store, but mostly blue at home. But you can see the effect of different quality on the headstock, which looks green in the pic, almost like it did in the store. Neat.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014 06:42:58

Drumsdick accompanied me recently on a quick ver. Of "Let's Go Trippin'". To weird it out a little, I intro'd the first few bars with my Ovation accoustic. Nice sound to lead in. As my laptop recently blew up I didn't attach video. Follow this link to one of the first songs listed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/webster1251

Rich

Last edited: Dec 07, 2013 13:55:11

We recently acoustically experimented with some material so we can do lower volume gigs. Our drummer even put together a suitcase kit! Super cool, check it out:

The SpeNerds
Alaska's Premier Instrumental Surf Trio!

The tone through piezo pickups varies enormously among my 4 guitars with piezos. It seems to vary even more than the acoustic sound. Nylon strings can sound buzzy and grindy, metal strings extremely thin and harsh.

I find that effects pedals are just as important for piezo pickups as for magnetics. Variations in effects pedals for piezos are similarly enormous. Acoustics don't sound good with pedals for magnetics, I had to get a pedal just for acoustic guitar. At least it works well for both nylon and metal strings.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4