Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink 6th Annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention, Sat. Aug. 10th, 2013, Reviews, vids, pics start on page 13

Goto Page: Previous 1 219 20 21 22 23 Next

great to meet you emilio. you were the guy having the most fun, and i'm not implying others weren't.

www.surfintheeye.com

Viva Emilio! Hope to see you again next year.

Rick

Rick

Johnny-O wrote:

Another successful Convention. And it was awesome !! Incredible when you think the top headlining bands represented Surf Music from 3 different parts of the globe (Japan, Australia, Italy). I know over the next few days we'll be seeing photos, videos, and comments of the day's performances. Before all of that, I just wanted to mention something that might of gotten overlooked yesterday in all of the excitement.

THANK YOU BigTikiDude !!

None of this could have happened without all of your vision, planning, and hard work. I know you've been getting by over the last few days with only a few hours of sleep, having to stay up late and wake up early delivering gear. And I know it's all been very stressful because you want everything to run smoothly and ensure enough money is raised to compensate all of the bands adequately. You ALWAYS put the bands and the community ahead of yourself. This does not go unnoticed.

The Surf Music world (heck, the entire world even) is a better place to live in because of your dedication and promotion of a musical genre that sometimes gets overlooked by the popular media. Your efforts will resonate in the many years to come as the Convention just seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

BTD, We love you Man !!

Thanks for the Thank you John O
it means a lot

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Brian wrote:

I said this on stage but I'll repeat it here: Six years ago when Jeff was putting this crazy scheme into action, he could have called it "Jeff Bigtikidude's super awesome California spectacular Surf-a-pa-looza reverb explosion convention". But he called it the SurfGuitar101 convention instead. My heart swells with pride and respect for this man every day.

Thanks for taking note of that Brian,that means a lot.
The show and surrounding shows are for the surf music comunity.
I just wish that more people would give back to the forum, and at least read more of what is going on, on here. And leave FB for awhile.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'd like to add a big 'thanks for all you do' ,Jeff...I know it's gotta be a ton of work ;we are lucky that surf music is your passion.

bigtikidude wrote:

Brian wrote:

I said this on stage but I'll repeat it here: Six years ago when Jeff was putting this crazy scheme into action, he could have called it "Jeff Bigtikidude's super awesome California spectacular Surf-a-pa-looza reverb explosion convention". But he called it the SurfGuitar101 convention instead. My heart swells with pride and respect for this man every day.

I've wondered about the history of the Convention for a while. Is this the beginning of the SG101 Convention? It's the earliest topic I can find on the subject, but is there another, earlier one?

Jeff, most people I know, myself included, who do or have done something like this have a whole team helping them. In my case it was a core of six people plus another six who helped them. What you do is extraordinary. I salute you!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

insectsurfer wrote:

One of the best things about this festival is the tangible feeling of community and brotherhood(and sisterhood). It's cool enough being a member of this eccentric and intense chat group online, but to actually be able to meet people who all share the same mania for surf music is really and truly uplifting. I really miss everybody after the weekend!! Highlights were, well, EVERYTHING! ALL the bands were TERRIFIC, and I got a chance to finally experience a live Penetrators set! Double Crown Sean is a real live human being! Davie Allen and Paul Johnson walk among us!! Ivan is officially recognized as being awesome! Lorenzo the International Ambassador of Surf! BigTikiDude and Brian Neal planted a few seeds and got a giant beanstalk in return! (And The El Caminos played an Insect Surfers song -whaaaaat!!) Every single person in attendance was as interesting as the next! Just...wow!

Preach on Brother Dave!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Noel wrote:

bigtikidude wrote:

Brian wrote:

I've wondered about the history of the Convention for a while. Is this the beginning of the SG101 Convention? It's the earliest topic I can find on the subject, but is there another, earlier one?

Jeff, most people I know, myself included, who do or have done something like this have a whole team helping them. In my case it was a core of six people plus another six who helped them. What you do is extraordinary. I salute you!

That's it Noel,
its interesting to look back at that thread, and see all the people that
said they would go, but haven't come. Or just dropped off the forum.
oh well.
Yeah I have a team of Helpers.

Much thanks goes out to.
Matt Quilter and and Quilter Labs for providing amps and PA(and mixing)
Ran(kick the reverb) and Dario Gomez for amps,
Tim(HB Kahuna) for loaning of the Eddie Bertrand Quad Reverb for sat n sun
Dusty Watson for the drums
Kristena(tiki tena) and her guy Sean for the Facebook page and help with soponsors.
Jonpaul Balak for Flyer and website work and all around moral support.
Jonpaul girlfriend Marie King for being in charge of the door at the event, and helping divy up the money at the end of the show.
My Mom n Dad, helping at the door, front and back, and allowing me to have the BBQ at our house on friday before the event.
Jason Weckerly and Wife Danielle,printing of flyers and helping at the door.
Maxx's Mom (Erin) I believe it is, helping at the door.
Kristena's daughters for helping at the door.
Sorry if I forgot anybody else.
The Starting Gate for the Venue,
all of the bands and or people that helped get gigs for the out of town bands before and after the convention.
Big Wave Dave and Bro Daddy,
Cousin Mary and KFJC,
Ferenc and Forbidden Island.
Mike Vernon and 3 Balls of Fire and the Redwood in LA
The Pike Bar in Long Beach
Rob of the Dynotones and Dipiazza's
Franke of the Volcanics and his brother and the Barkley in Passadena
Dave and Rebecca at the Purple Orchid for a Fri Pre show
Ryan and Steve of Secret Samurai for having a SD pre show every year
Outerwave and Dons for a Fri Pre show
Carlos and the Tequila Worms and the Juke Joint for the after show party.
Linda Miller and the HBISM (surf museum) for the post convention pier show
Brando and Spikes in Rosemead for the annual monday tiki night party
Brianna and Surf Dogs in HB for Tuesday show
Knuckeheads and Outerwave for the Wed. show.
and Otto Von Stroheim and Tiki Oasis for having 1 or more of the sg101
bands at Oasis the following weekend.
Of course all the great sponsors and vendors listed on the front and back of the flyer.
All of the bands involved in the convention itself, and the pre and post shows.

I think thats about it, if I forgot anybody from memory,
I sincerely appologize.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

Emilio, it was a TRUE pleasure meeting you! The one thing keeps coming to mind when I think about meeting you - 'pure of heart'! Your love of this music is clearly deeply genuine and it shows. You are an inspiration to us all, and I am very glad that you were able to come to the convention. Hopefully we'll see you there quite often in the future, too!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

you forgot me Shock

but it's okay

www.surfintheeye.com

Last edited: Sep 08, 2013 20:51:23

Thanks Ivan, means a lot coming from you.

IvanP wrote:

Emilio, it was a TRUE pleasure meeting you! The one thing keeps coming to mind when I think about meeting you - 'pure of heart'! Your love of this music is clearly deeply genuine and it shows. You are an inspiration to us all, and I am very glad that you were able to come to the convention. Hopefully we'll see you there quite often in the future, too!

mom_surfing wrote:

you forgot me Shock

but it's okay

Carol,
So Sorry,
Yer help in organizing the member jam
Online and day of was a huge load off my
Mind.
Thank you so much!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

One more from the Penetrators, "Wind Beneath My Kilt"

The Pyronauts "Ghastly Stomp". Not too early in the morning to do the Stomp ?

2 for Tuesday by the Mystery Men?
" Brunhilde" and "The Fox"

Oh! sweet memories ... saw them 3 times and they were a blast! 3 guitar bands rule!

BIG THANKS, Dave for continuing to process and post videos! Hated having to miss this years Convention, but love getting to experience it in some small way through these videos. Thumbs Up

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

The Aqualads "Curse" , thanks to Fady for the info.

Thanks for all the vids!! Cheers

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Goto Page: Previous 1 219 20 21 22 23 Next