Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink 6th Annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention, Sat. Aug. 10th, 2013, Reviews, vids, pics start on page 13

Goto Page: Previous 1 218 19 20 21 22 23 Next

Thanks, Dave - finally had a chance to look at these photos. Very nice reminders of this wonderful long weekend.

Coz

bIG_wAvE_Dave wrote:

Thanks for bearing with me, folks. Keeping in mind what Brian has just said about SG101 friendships, I encourage you all to look through my picture collection from the SG101 SoCal events. Many of you will see yourselves and more than just performers.

I thank those who took shots that I happen to be in.

There are several hundred pics organized here. Feel free to use or repost whatever you like and if appropriate, I ask a credit. Hope I captured the "spirit" of the events. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95601762@N00/collections/72157635159278103/

bIG wAvE Dave Becker
Bass, BroDaddy, Aquamarines
SG101! SG101!

Thanks to both Daves.
For pics and video.

My Internet was down for a few days,
So I had to wait to view them.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Maxx has posted quite a lot of videos from the Convention, as well as a few shows around the convention - check them out here: https://www.youtube.com/user/sfsurfmusicfan/videos

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

Maxx has posted

you sure it's Maxx? Smile

-Darren

darrenk wrote:

IvanP wrote:

Maxx has posted

you sure it's Maxx? Smile

-Darren

oops, sorry, maybe not!! If it's you, sorry I got that wrong. Anyway, thanks!!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Glad you enjoy them. If you see any without song titles and know what they are, please drop me a note and I'll get them updated.

Be sure to check out Emilo's videos at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpWvXpwuv7jXo0Qe_Miss0Q/videos He also has some videos of the convention and some of the shows around it. I'm still waiting on Freddy's videos but I think he is still going through his backlog from other shows.

-Darren

Thanks guys!!!!
Keep the videos coming please.

I'm finally recuperating from the madness.
Sittin on my butt, watching TV last night
And today/tonight.
I am going to the surf museum tomorrow,
But I'm just settin up sun shades n chairs.
Way low stress compared to the convention.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

darrenk wrote:

Glad you enjoy them. If you see any without song titles and know what they are, please drop me a note and I'll get them updated.

Thanks, Darren, and once again, sorry for my confusion. I did see that you misspelled the name of Aqualads, you may want to fix that. The name of that song, BTW, is Vientos Del Sur.

Thanks for the great videos!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Oh, the Paul Johnson & Friends song is Small Fry.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

what song are you referring to?

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

That song is called BEACH CITY BOP. Never heard of Small Fry. It is included in my Senor Surf album by the way as a bonus, recorded in Italy as Paul Johnson and Friends, but was a song that Paul put out as Packards. I have no idea if he did it before with some other name Smile but this one is surely Beach City Bop.

(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

That song is called BEACH CITY BOP. Never heard of Small Fry. It is included in my Senor Surf album by the way as a bonus, recorded in Italy as Paul Johnson and Friends, but was a song that Paul put out as Packards. I have no idea if he did it before with some other name Smile but this one is surely Beach City Bop.

Et voila'...

(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

IvanP wrote:

what song are you referring to?

Small Fry was a minor song of the Challengers for what I remember, but surely since the 80s I think Paul is referring to this song in the revisited Packards version.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Lorenzo, the song was recorded in '64 by Richard Delvy's made-up band the Good Guys and released on their "Sidewalk Surfing" album.

The same recordings that originally appeared on that album were later released by the Challengers (on their "Wipe Out" and "At The Teenage Fair" albums - check it out below). It's possible actually that Paul played lead on the original recording. Maybe he'll chime in here and talk about that a bit. (I actually discussed the Good Guys album with him briefly two weeks ago at the Convention. He did play on parts of it, if I remember correctly.)

BTW, you can get the entire Good Guys "Sidewalk Surfing" record, plus a bunch of other rare Challengers stuff on the GNP/Crescendo CD "Killer Surf!" - some of it is really great (though some of it is crap, too, once they get into the psychedelic/easy-listening era). I'd recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Surf-The-Best-Challengers/dp/B000001OYU

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013 14:22:15

surferjoemusic wrote:

Small Fry was a minor song of the Challengers for what I remember, but surely since the 80s I think Paul is referring to this song in the revisited Packards version.

Lorenzo, the song is titled "Small Fry" in this version from last year's Convention. I have no idea what the song's 'proper' name is, but I have known it as "Small Fry" for about 15 years now, and wasn't really familiar with the Packards version. Again, maybe Paul can set the record straight.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

Lorenzo, the song is titled "Small Fry" in this version from last year's Convention. I have no idea what the song's 'proper' name is, but I have known it as "Small Fry" for about 15 years now, and wasn't really familiar with the Packards version. Again, maybe Paul can set the record straight.

Yes I know what you mean :), but I am telling you what Paul was referring to in the set list. Small Fry is certainly less "rocking" that Beach City Bop which, as the Packards' stuff, is more 80s sounding. The beginning of the song is different between Small Fry and Beach City Bop.

(www.surfmusic.net)

The Penetrators Tribute from the HB Pier: "Another Time, Another Place"
from their "Locked & Loaded" cd.

18 days since I left SoCal the place in which my passion started back in the 60's ... As many of you know this was my first SG101 Convention and also my very first time in the USA. My planning started on January '13, the goal was having a full week of surf madness ... and I'm so glad I was able to make it. For me this trip was a life changing event, my expectations we nothing compare to what I lived that week.

I was going for the music but now I know as someone said: "The music is cool, but the thing is about the people". There is few I can say as many of you noticed I was having the time of my life. Big Grin

Meeting all the attendees was a thrill and sincerely I want to thank you all for beeing so nice with me, you're now on my heart & mind as a deep memmory I would like to repeat every year for now on. It was something I was wishing for about 8 years ago since I started playing Instrumental Surf Music ... meeting people who care about and take the music as part of their lives. If you share the feeling I will like to call you my new friends, people who share with me a special bond over age or nationality.
If any one of you decide to come someday down to Mexico, I'll be your guide in the most populated & biggest city in the globe.

So hopefully and with a good planning I've be back next year for the 7th Annual SG101 Convention! Cool

!VIVA SG101.COM! Smile !VIVA BTD & STAFF!

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

I'm sooooo glad you were able to come to the convention Emilio, and it was an honor to meet you. Hope to see you again next year!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Emilio,

I am so happy to see yer post and yer very positive thoughts
On what the convention, and meeting all the people means to you.
It's posts like yours that make me wanna keep doing the sg101
Convention.
It was great to meet you.
And I hope that you can come back next and every year.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 218 19 20 21 22 23 Next