Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Your First Surf Show

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

DBurch wrote:

Noel wrote:

DBurch wrote:

I couldn't really say I've been to a full on Surf band concert yet but I've seen some close to its: Agent Orange a few times, Supernova were pretty surfy, and recently saw Man or Astroman? a couple weeks back.

Try to catch The Sharkskins and Great White Caps. They're from here and play regularly in and around Philly.

Will do, thanks!

The Sharkskins in Phoenixville. https://www.facebook.com/hotrod.hoedown
The Sharkskins in Ocean City. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=646847118677196&set=a.144494015579178.24565.120271461334767&type=1&theater
The Great White Caps all over. https://www.facebook.com/greatwhitecaps/events

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Could we get this thread back on topic please?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

Could we get this thread back on topic please?

Thread Hijack Just trying to get some folks to their first real surf show. We can now resume the regularly scheduled topic. Big Grin

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I don't appear to have really chimed in.

First surf show was the Surf Coasters at the EMP. I was very freshly 21 and had no 21 year old friends. So I took my mom! She had a great time, I was practically standing on Shigeo. It was also my first meeting of the beloved Ferenc Dobronyi who I have met several times since and it is always a pleasure!

Two days later we drove to Canada with some friends to catch them, hell of a show! Thankfully 19 is the drinking age in Canada so I could experience the Surf Coasters with people I enjoy music with!

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was the first surf show you played, and I actually have a photo of that. But the first surf band I ever saw live was the Surf Men in 1964 at a Serra High School Fiesta Dance.

1964? Then this were not the Surfmen that became the Lively Ones, right?

The first surfband I ever saw live were Plan9 (then still billed as "Plan 9 from Outta Space"). I was 16 so it must have been 1999. I went there with a good friend from school, who later became the bass player in my own surfband.

My brother had pointed out that gig to me, because the guys in the band were friends of him (he later joyned them on trumpet) and he had noticed that I was getting more and more into surf. He then lived in the same street as the venue, which helped to convince my parents that it was okay for us kids to go there. I have seen them many times since then and they are definitely still one of my favorites.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

The Atlantics when they played as part of a concert series here in Australia about 12 years ago.

https://www.facebook.com/lostremoleros/

Instro Summitt 2011. How's that for a first show?

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

simoncoil wrote:

Actually, I do believe these were same Surfmen who became the Lively Ones. It was either late '63 or early '64 I forget, that was a long time ago. Serra High School, in Gardena CA, had the best bands at the Fiesta Dances, which were part of annual fund raisers for the school. The Fiesta itself was a huge carnival. We got to see folks like Sandy Nelson, Dusty Springfield, Dick Dale, The Hollywood Allstars (2 guys from the Coasters and 2 guys from the Drifters) The Kingsmen, The Crossfires and many other acts. They would put on 2 pro acts per nite for 3 nites straight. It was pretty cool to say the least.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013 17:34:55

Oct. 1964 --- that's me playing the Alamo guitar. (my Fender Musicmaster was in for repairs that weekend.) I think we were playing 'Tall Cool One', or 'Waikiki Run'.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013 18:03:02

vintagesurfdude wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

Actually, I do believe these were same Surfmen who became the Lively Ones. It was either late '63 or early '64 I forget, that was a long time ago.

As far as I know the Lively Ones formed in '62, but it is never the less possible, that original guitarist Ray Hunt continued playing with other guys as the Surfmen. Either version is quite impressive for a first surf show!

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

simoncoil wrote:

vintagesurfdude wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

Actually, I do believe these were same Surfmen who became the Lively Ones. It was either late '63 or early '64 I forget, that was a long time ago.

As far as I know the Lively Ones formed in '62, but it is never the less possible, that original guitarist Ray Hunt continued playing with other guys as the Surfmen. Either version is quite impressive for a first surf show!

Interesting!, You're most likely right, I remember them as being awesome. Got my attention for sure, I was in a fledgling surf band by late '64. Cool, good info, thanks!

First surf gig was 2011 at a fund raiser. We were an auction item purchase at a nearby blueberry farm. I had been playing bass in a cover band for years and this was the first step out front as lead guitar playing surf. we did a couple other blues and alt rock song but here was the playlist as I remember it not in order

Walk Don't Run Ventures version
Hawaii five o: Ventures
Flash of green: Pollo Del Mar
Ewa on the Beach: FATPB
Speed Boat: Torquays
9 miles to Stuckeys: Torquays
Board in the stone: Torquays
Goo Goo Muck: Cramps
Ocean Man: Ween
Voodoo Lady: Ween

We had two sets and can't remember the other songs.

Of we butchered a song, one mild to moderate train wreck. But as is usually the case, the audience didn't even notice. I run all the sound for my cover band so it was fun tweaking the board for the surf sound.

You have great taste in cover songs, Rob!

RobC wrote:

... but here was the playlist as I remember it not in order

Flash of green: Pollo Del Mar
Ewa on the Beach: FATPB

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013 22:37:13

Out of curiosity I thumbed through some old Monthly Planners to see what Surf Music I might have seen in the early 1990's. At the time, I really didn't understand it as a genre other than it was a good compliment to the Punk shows that my friends and I used to go see.

I see that I saw a double bill of the Insect Surfers and the Halibuts at the Alligator Lounge in Santa Monica on Dec 3rd, 1993. That's pretty funny to think I recently saw the Insects 20 years later.

I saw Dick Dale for the first time at Santa Monica Pier on Aug 12th, 1994.

I do recall seeing Los Straightjackets and Man or Astro-man at some of their earliest L.A. shows but I pretty much missed out on the whole post "Pulp Fiction" Surf Music explosion. Cry

I didn't even know there was a "scene" still going on until I met BigTikiDude in 2009. Going to my first my SG101 Convention in 2010 was like a religious awakening. An epiphany !! Smile

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013 22:27:01

My first surf show was Man or Astro-Man? at the Starfish room in Vancouver in July of 96. Incredible show! I booked the next day off work cuz I thought it was gonna be a late night. Turns out, the next day the band stopped at the gas station where I was working at the time, my co-worker told them what a huge fan I was (and went to their show) so when I went to work the following day there was a t-shirt and a bunch of swag waiting for me! Great memories.

Dick Dale, May of 1994 at The Zephyr Club, Salt Lake City. First date with my now wife. She's not a surf fan and doesn't like guitar music in general. She made it through the date, so I guess she's a keeper!

Either you surf, or you fight.

imafunkyman wrote:

Dick Dale, May of 1994 at The Zephyr Club, Salt Lake City. First date with my now wife. She's not a surf fan and doesn't like guitar music in general. She made it through the date, so I guess she's a keeper!

i think that's the place we saw social distortion play. kind of an old warehouse of some sort?

www.surfintheeye.com

Hi guys,

First surf gig I saw was Dick Dale at Fender Museum in Corona. This was around 2006? After that, I've seen Slacktone a few times at Don The Beachcomber.

If I was rich, I'd fly the Nebulas and Fathoms out to California for a couple shows. Probably at Don The Beachcomber and then Mr. Rick's in Avila Beach..

I want to hear Caravan with a drum solo.

I was there too Mom! It was my first date with my now wife. The good ol Zephyr Club. I miss that place.

Either you surf, or you fight.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next