Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink The Shallow End: Dedicated to Rip & Spanky

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Skol!

It was SO GREAT to have a bunch of SG101ers jamming on Checkpoint: Echo at the convention this year, AND later that night to have the Tequilla Worms play the Penetrators' Melodie's Dilemma, which they did amaznigly well! The Penetrators live! It makes me incredibly happy to see that....

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

we played 'checkpoint echo' really well in the parking lot before we went on Big Grin

what a great, great band they were

www.surfintheeye.com

Found this searching for a web based copy of Hubba Hubba (One of Spanky's Favorites for some reason)!!

This is our set list from 95or96 show at The Point in Atlanta when we opened for "the Dale". This is definitely one of our earliest shows because we had to remind ourselves which key the songs are in......or maybe this was just Spanky's copy!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hookups/433907693/

Fender Bass, Small Firearms

I just found a VHS tape with a complete Penetrators set from their 1996 gig in San Francisco at the Paradise Lounge!! I need to get it converted to digital, then I'll put it on YouTube. What a find!!!

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Can hardly wait to see it. Great find!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

PolloGuitar wrote:

I just found a VHS tape with a complete Penetrators set from their 1996 gig in San Francisco at the Paradise Lounge!! I need to get it converted to digital, then I'll put it on YouTube. What a find!!!

I CAN'T WAIT to see this!!

sweet!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Cool!

www.northofmalibu.com

That's awesome, I've seen just about everything I could find on youtube already.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Rip, if you could, please keep the rain at bay tomorrow. And tomorrow night another scotch. It'll be 10 years...

Miss ya.

Damn, time flies.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

So I've got that scotch. Thanks Rip, the rain held off, and our little Surfin' Saturday turned into a big success. I hope you heard The Mystery Men? play "Codename: Gypsy." I sat in with them and believe it or not, nailed the bridge.

Hope you and Spanky are doing well. And I hope y'all know how much yer missed down here.

Cheers.

Today would have been Rip's 47th birthday. Take a sip of scotch tonight and remember him. We - Trace, Sticks, Ed and I - will be celebrating Rip and Spanky and the Penetrators' music again in exactly four weeks at the Convention and the HB pier. Really looking forward to that.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I'm not drinking scotch but I'm tipping the can in remembrance. When I bought Penetrators cd's years ago, I had no idea that they would become treasured. RIP.

Thanks for the reminder Ivan - started the evening off with a beer by a backyard campfire, but will pour a glass of scotch now that the kids are a sleep and play a few fave Penetrators tunes before turning in for the night. Can't wait to hear your set with Sticks and Trace in a few weeks!

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Missed this post as I was out all day sun.
But cheers to Rip,
Long may he live in surf fans memories.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

So I'm a few minutes early, but I do have to fly tomorrow, so I think you'll would understand. 11 years, and I miss you like yesterday. A single malt toast to you, Rip.

Jet

My day has been enlightened just listening to some of their material. It was super hearing Gemini 13 cover one of the tunes yesterday at Surfing Saturday. Great, great music. Great, great guys.

We all miss 'em.

Being Scotchless in Lilburn, I think I'll go raise a glass, and toss back a cold one.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

I believe that back in '03 that terrible day was also Mother's Day, like this year. Keep Rip and Spanky's mom in your thoughts today, too, it can't be easy for her.

I just raised a glass of Oban single malt to their memory - especially since it was Rip and Spanky that introduced me to Water of Life, of which I'm quite fond of today! Being able to play a handful of shows with Trace and Sticks and Ed last year, performing all those amazing Penetrators songs, will forever be one of my favorite memories. That was a very moving experience for all of us. I hope we get to do it again and help the newer generations of surf fans learn about the genius of Rip and Spanky. Here's to you, fellas!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next