Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink CD Review of SURFMANIA With THE SHARKSKINS by The Sharkskins and Sting of Death by The Great White Caps

Page 1 of 1

CD Review of SURFMANIA With THE SHARKSKINS by The Sharkskins and Sting of Death by The Great White Caps

By Noel

Okay, so why am I reviewing two CDs together in a single review, and why these two? These two surf bands have many things in common. First, they are local (for me anyway). Second, I have seen them perform live and in person. The Sharkskins opened last Fall for Dick Dale and The Great White Caps opened for The Ventures this past Spring. Third, both surf bands include vocals in their sets and CDs and they play mostly original music but also the occasional cover.

So what sets them apart? Well, just look at their cover art.

The Sharkskins

The Great White Caps

Both bands perform live with technical prowess, great sound and a have sense of humor. The Sharkskins have a vintage sharp-dressed look and feel while The Caps have a, well, a Jersey Shore surf bum look and play with well-rehearsed comical abandon and amazing precision. Make no mistake; these two bands are serious and excellent surf bands.

SURFMANIA With THE SHARKSKINS

The Sharkskins are from Doylesotwn, Pennsylvania. This record was released in 2011 and is their latest. It reminds me in many ways of bands from the ‘60’s that used the occasional sax and mixed instrumentals and vocals, Hot Rod and Surf into their shows and records. But these aren’t kids having fun; these are adults having fun. And their records have excellent production values and tight, error-free performances, without the wrecklessness of so many of the kids back then.

Their only cover is an excellent rendition of Apache, which sounds completely convincing and traditional. It compares very favorably with the best versions I’ve heard while also more modern sounding. You’d be forgiven for thinking you’ve heard Mojito #4 before; it strongly recalls Istanbul (not Constantinople) but it isn’t that tune. That’s okay because it has its own sound and feel, and stands up quite nicely. What more can one say about a band that dedicates a song to Unsteady Freddie. And it’s a good song too. Isle of Palms is a classic surf tune in the thoughtful restful vein of Endless Summer and Floating Home. The other vocals and surf instrumentals are excellent, especially Dead Man’s Beach. Lots of fun. I should mention that The Sharkskins had their families in the audience when I saw them, and I find nothing quite as sweet as seeing someone on stage dedicate a song to his young daughter who’s there watching her daddy.

All in all, I was happy to play this record again and they sound unique enough that when one of their tunes or songs rotates through my ever-expanding surf playlist, I can tell who they are and always enjoy their music. The Sharkskins play great surf music and it’s on this record. You can find The Sharkskins on FaceBook and ReverbNation, and ask buddyluvgoo any questions you might have right here on SG101.

STING of DEATH by The Great White Caps.

These musicians from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, have a completely different sound and presentation than The Sharkskins. Tattooed and dressed in North-East coast beach clothes, they appear to be ready to run all over the stage or into the audience at any time. Oh, wait … they do. They also use choreography, make faces at themselves and each other while playing, and generally have an enormously good time during their shows. So do their audiences.

Their debut CD, Sting of Death conveys a lot of this fun. There are hard-driving tunes and slower ones with unusual and captivating melodies. They all sound totally unique, at the same time totally traditional surf and also very progressive, sliding back and forth between styles in the same tune. The title track, Sting of Death is a good example, starting out with an odd and captivating melody in the trad style and then suddenly switching to something edgily progressive. It just works. You have to see them perform Morey Boogie to believe it, but the tune is a gas, fun, catchy, danceable and memorable. Other standouts for me are 50 Year Storm, Cleaning the Tube and Barrier Island Twilight. I would say their most memorable song is Totally Pissed About These Shitty Waves. It rocks with a beat that doesn’t stop and has lyrics that are sardonic and perfectly convey the life of a Jersey Shore surfer. Besides, it mentions listening to Satan’s Pilgrims. Bradley Beach is best listened to with Belly Dancers in the room; very exotic. The most unexpected cut on the record is their perfect cover of All I Have to do is Dream. The vocals and instrumentation made me think they’d put the Everly Brothers recording on there. The Great White Caps are highly talented and play extraordinary and very unique surf music.

You can find The Great White Caps on FaceBook and their own Website, http://www.greatwhitecaps.com/ and can ask MontagtheMagnificent any questions you might have right here on SG101.

I guess I don’t live in a surf music wasteland after all. I have two excellent surf bands to choose from who perform regularly and have different takes on the surf sound, don’t play the same music, and are both excellent bands. Their CDs are worth a listen any time.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012 14:14:25

Nicely done, Noel! Thumbs Up I'll definitely be checking out these two bands.

Keep it up!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

Nicely done, Noel! Thumbs Up I'll definitely be checking out these two bands.

Keep it up!

FYI, here's a thread Noel put up a couple months ago with some killer vids from The Great White Caps.

-Damon.

Heard of the Sharkskins but the Great White Caps are new to me, gotta get out and see 'em both. As Noel noted maybe I don't live in a Surf music wasteland after all.

bamboozer wrote:

Heard of the Sharkskins but the Great White Caps are new to me, gotta get out and see 'em both. As Noel noted maybe I don't live in a Surf music wasteland after all.

Well, just in case ...

The Sharkskins open (again!) for Dick Dale at 8 PM on Friday, July 27, at the Sellersville Theater in Sellersville, PA. See SG101 calendar for details and map. It's a great venue.

The Great White Caps are playing a surf music soundtrack live to a screening of POINT BREAK on Friday, July 20, at the ArtsQuest Musikfest Cafe in Bethlehem, PA. This is also a great venue. The details are here.
http://www.artsquest.org/pages/details.php?54346

They're also playing at Musikfest on August 9, also in Bethlehem, and doing a post show show at Molly's Irish Grill at 10 PM.

Maybe buddyluvgoo and Montag have more information?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Thread Bump!

Hey Noel - where did you pick up the Sharkskins album? I can't find it on their website or anywhere online.

To Boldly go where no Tiki has gone before...

Page 1 of 1