Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Madeira: Tribal Fires

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Damn! You guys.... Geez, thanks VERY much! Bill, so glad you like Mar Vista so much! Funny enough, my wife told me it was her favorite, too, just a few days ago. And no less than John Blair said the same thing! You're in good company. (BTW, it should be pointed out that it was written by Patrick, and his home demo sounded almost exactly the same as the final version.)

Danny, your generosity knows no bounds! Thank you, my dear friend! Those compliments coming from such an immensely talented person as you mean a LOT.

Ariel, we actually brought in Dane's friend Brad who is an orchestra percussionist to overdub some cool stuff on a handful of songs. He did the same thing on Carpe Noctem. He's got a huge collection of exotic percussion instruments from around the world, and he added a lot to the songs he was on!

killbabykill34 wrote:

I actually gave this a full listen through just yesterday. While the material Ivan wrote with SC is much more to my personal taste,

Noah, make sure you stick around the Casbah on Saturday afternoon, I think you'll be glad you did.... Smile

there is no denying that this album is a true masterpiece. I would even be as bold as to say it is the first true 'classic album' to be produced during this 4th wave of instro surf.

Well, damn. As many amazing albums as have been produced over the past 5+ years (the Barbwires, Los Twang! Marvels, the TomorrowMen, Frankie & the Pool Boys, Satan's Pilgrims, the Phantom Four, Bevel Emboss, Bambi Molesters, etc.), I have a hard time accepting that, but I am VERY grateful for your sentiments, and actually completely blown away by them. Thank you very, very much, Noah.

I only hope to one day have the money and time to put this much thought, effort, and passion into writing and recording an album.

Well, it sounds like you may already have with your full-length debut! But, I think you might be overestimating how much time we put into recording Tribal Fires. The album was basically recorded in one weekend - we hauled our gear in around 11 am on Friday, and departed around 8 pm on Sunday, with all 13 songs (including all the overdubs) done in that time. I did a few fixes on Tribal Fury and Cities of Gold about a month later, spending another couple of hours in the studio, but that was it. I can't say how long it took to mix it since the engineer did it mostly on his own time, but I'm guessing it was about an hour per song, two hours max - not a huge amount of time. This is how our other two albums were done, too. In each case we were focused and ready when we went in. It's a bit stressful, but it gets the results, so what the heck....

Anyway, see you in just over two weeks, Noah! Really looking forward to seeing KBK!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Ivan,
Just take it as a compliment, as all of the albums you mentioned are fantastic beyond belief. I must listen to the last Satans Pilgrims album a few times per week, still to this day. And that isn't even mentioning all of the great EP's that have come out since KBK started.
I would love for people to view the new KBK among the best. But it is what it is. I feel we nailed a sound that is all our own and that breaks down some of the more obvious comparisons we have received over the years. But I also personally know that we have a long way to go and the potential to get there. I feel like we are really just now getting into the groove of undestanding our strengths in writing and those elements that set us apart as an original entity. I hope we have a followup EP early next year that is really going to take things to another level, as we have written some great music that was simply too green to apply to the album at the time of recording.
I am very excited about Instro Summit, as well as seeing both The Madeira and your other project. ( Please bring sure to ask your guitarist to bring one of his other bands albums for me to purchase). We are avoiding a tour this year so that we can stick around for both Friday and Saturday night and enjoy the summit for the first time as spectators.

...and it is unbelievable that you guys recorded that album in a weekend. It would take me three times that long to do my parts alone if I wanted the quality of playing you guys achived on that album. But, then again, I have less than ten years playing this genre. And I only have three of playing it consistently. Hopefully in twenty years I will reach the level of comfort you have achieved.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

One word re: Mar Vista Ivan...EPIC

www.northofmalibu.com

I bought the album yesterday and I have listened to it 4 times already. Tomorrow morning, I plan on playing it during my run.

To Boldly go where no Tiki has gone before...

killbabykill34 wrote:

Just take it as a compliment,

OK, Noah, will do! Smile And thanks kenposurf and ArtDecade, too!!

I am very excited about Instro Summit, as well as seeing both The Madeira and your other project. (Please make sure to ask your guitarist to bring one of his other bands albums for me to purchase).

I just reminded him! I think you will REALLY like what Patrick does with Destination: Earth! You guys have quite a bit in common.

...and it is unbelievable that you guys recorded that album in a weekend. It would take me three times that long to do my parts alone if I wanted the quality of playing you guys achived on that album. But, then again, I have less than ten years playing this genre.

Hey, I have 17 years - and like I said, all three Madeira CDs, including our first one, Sandstorm, that came out in '05, were recorded in a single weekend - and in '05 I had nine years of experience playing surf, so less than you now! So, no excuses! Twisted Evil We just worked really hard, both together and individually, to make sure we're as ready as we possibly could be by the time we got to the studio. It really keeps things spontaneous and fresh, though it can get pretty stressful. But it's the best way to record rock'n'roll music! Go in, knock it out, go home!

And I only have three of playing it consistently. Hopefully in twenty years I will reach the level of comfort you have achieved.

Noah, judging what I've heard from you so far, I'd say you're already there, and are just being too tough on yourself! Anyway, like I said, I wouldn't say it's necessarily 'comfortable' recording in a weekend. The pressure is definitely ON!

See you tomorrow!! Really looking forward to it.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ivan, I have the Destination: Earth catalog. I was talking about the Star Trek themed band. Sorry...

www.thekbk.com

killbabykill34 wrote:

Ivan, I have the Destination: Earth catalog. I was talking about the Star Trek themed band. Sorry...

Ah! Five Year Mission. OK, I'm glad you clarified. I'll let Patrick know.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Indeed. Hell, I was the one who requested that Crispy invite Destination: Earth last year, since Madeira were already making the trip. ;)

www.thekbk.com

artdecade wrote:

... Tomorrow morning, I plan on playing it during my run.

SAFETY WARNING: The sheer beauty that's going to hit your senses can be quite disorienting. Please be careful not to bump into something or wander off a cliff.
Enjoy!

DreadInBabylon wrote:

artdecade wrote:

... Tomorrow morning, I plan on playing it during my run.

SAFETY WARNING: The sheer beauty that's going to hit your senses can be quite disorienting. Please be careful not to bump into something or wander off a cliff.
Enjoy!

It was cold the other morning, so I ran on the treadmill. Thankfully, I didn't fly off!

To Boldly go where no Tiki has gone before...

Last edited: May 04, 2013 09:48:21

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7