Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink How To Do Interviews

Page 1 of 1

To be completely fair to everyone in Hangmen, and to all who have offered advice, complements and support to me regarding their interview in particular and my interviews generally, I've decided to rename and repurpose this thread and solicit more suggestions from everyone about how to make my interviews better.

Thank you for understanding, and my apologies to Hangman for pushing out an unfinished interview. I'll try a lot harder not to make that mistake again.

As an example of a change I'll me making in the future, I've divided the republished interview into three separate parts, Introduction, Hangmen and Singapore Slingers. I hope everyone finds the new format easier and more enjoyable to read. It'll be up in a few minutes under the original title, Hangmen Interview by Noel.

Thanks, again.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Apr 06, 2013 09:45:39

Suggestion. It may just be me, but I tuned out quickly. Instead of simply cutting and pasting a transcription of this very lengthy interview, perhaps you could compose a paragraph or two to introduce the readers to whom it is we are reading about, lending a little backstory and insight to set the stage. It's a nightmarish task trying to piece all this information together when the subject is seemingly unknown.

Twisted Evil > Angel

A nice interview, done by a nice guy, for a great group. Check them out, if you haven't already. They are sure to be making a mark.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Great idea! My bad. I'll write an introduction and divide it into sections. It think I got so close to the material I forgot everyone else may not know them. The changes will be up as soon as I make them. Thanks!

Done. I hope the changes make the interview easier to follow.

Thanks for being open to my suggestion, Noel. I think that simple intro helps. Keep it up, I like what you're doing, you've found a niche and you seem to be enjoying yourself. You should consider publishing these interviews at your own Blogspot page. The layouts there have more freedom for embedding media, video/audio players, photos, and such, within the article, not just at the end, or having some link that takes the reader off page. Should give a magazine feel to your work.

Twisted Evil > Angel

norcalhodad wrote:

Thanks for being open to my suggestion, Noel. I think that simple intro helps. Keep it up, I like what you're doing, you've found a niche and you seem to be enjoying yourself. You should consider publishing these interviews at your own Blogspot page. The layouts there have more freedom for embedding media, video/audio players, photos, and such, within the article, not just at the end, or having some link that takes the reader off page. Should give a magazine feel to your work.

I think this is an EXCELLENT idea!!

To be completely fair to everyone in Hangmen, and to all who have offered advice, complements and support to me regarding their interview in particular and my interviews generally, I've decided to rename and repurpose this thread and solicit more suggestions from everyone about how to make my interviews better.

Thank you for understanding, and my apologies to Hangman for pushing out an unfinished interview. I'll try a lot harder not to make that mistake again.

As an example of a change I'll me making in the future, I've divided the republished interview into three separate parts, Introduction, Hangmen and Singapore Slingers. I hope everyone finds the new format easier and more enjoyable to read. It'll be up in a few minutes under the original title, Hangmen Interview by Noel.

Thanks, again.

Find the new Hangman interview here.

Last edited: Apr 06, 2013 09:55:15

To make navigating a three part interview easier, I've added links to each part of the Hangmen interview that will take you either of the others. So, in Part 1, you can jump directly to either Part 2 or 3, and so on for the others.

Try these to see how they work.
For Hangmen Interview Part 1 go here.
For Hangman Interview Part 2 go here.
For Hangman Interview Part 3 go here.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited: Apr 06, 2013 14:30:57

I guess I didn't see it until you made the changes, but I don't think there's anything really wrong with it. It's not exactly conversational, more a Q&A, but that's fine.

The one thing I'd suggest is maybe italicizing your own questions. I'll admit to skimming a lot of articles I "read" and I got lost pretty quickly and had to dig for what they were responding to.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

ElMonstroPorFavor wrote:

I guess I didn't see it until you made the changes, but I don't think there's anything really wrong with it. It's not exactly conversational, more a Q&A, but that's fine.

The one thing I'd suggest is maybe italicizing your own questions. I'll admit to skimming a lot of articles I "read" and I got lost pretty quickly and had to dig for what they were responding to.

I can italicize the questions. Thanks for the suggestion.

Go Bold too.

Twisted Evil > Angel

norcalhodad wrote:

Go Bold too.

The questions or the answers?

I don't know, but my eye sight is failing and bold is easier to read and provides some good separation from the regular font, but too much bold might be overkill, so maybe if the Q's are shorter than the A's go bold with the Q's.

Twisted Evil > Angel

This is all a big help. Keep the ideas coming.

And feel free to say something to Alastair on the Hangmen interview too.

norcalhodad wrote:

I don't know, but my eye sight is failing and bold is easier to read and provides some good separation from the regular font, but too much bold might be overkill, so maybe if the Q's are shorter than the A's go bold with the Q's.

Font size within a post is out of my control, but you can usually increase the font size of the whole screen somewhere in Tools for your browser. I do.

I've updated the Hangmen interview here with bold questions. I found italicized answers hard to read and bold and italicized questions unnecessary. Let me know what you think.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013 11:12:41

Noel wrote:

Font size within a post is out of my control

No it's not.

But it isn't something I want to advertise or have people use on a regular basis.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

nc

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013 12:22:01

It's all in the help (the ? button next to the submit button).

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013 12:21:15

Page 1 of 1