Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Introductions! New Members Post Here

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 555 56 Next

Sounds great...welcome eh.

http://blueruins.bandcamp.com

Welcome aboard!

maybe this thread should be fixed on main page, it would be easy, to find it (for new guys)

original compositions (low-level demo stuff /out of tune, etc) myStuff not my best, but i don't like to be in a musician community without anything to show

I kinda agree, the introduce yerself thread on Tiki Central
Is in the General Discussion area.
Yet people still miss it, and start their own threads.
:-/

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey guys, glad to be here! I've been reading the forum here for a while, and finally got around to joining tonight. I like the enthusiasm here, and I like that y'all are such gentlemen in your discussions. And of course, I like surf!

I have been playing guitar for 14 years, and grew up listening to punk, surf and all kinds of rock. Some of my favorite bands include the Ventures, Man or Astro-man?, the Ghastly Ones and Dick Dale of course! Other favorites include Queens of the Stone Age, Black Flag and Black Sabbath. Star Crunch is my favorite guitarist within the surf/instro genre.

My surf playing is rock influenced, not necessarily very traditional, but I play some of that too. My surf rig consists of an early Firstman Mosrite clone (black), an Eastwood Sidejack Deluxe (sunburst), and a Squier Jaguar (surf green). For amps I use a '69 Twin Reverb and a '74 Vibrolux Reverb. I often use pedals such as a Merkin, Micro POG, DM-2 and VB-2, and I have a bit of a gear collection beyond that as well. I'm a bit of a geek sometimes!

Anyway that's enough out of me. I look forward to getting to know some of y'all better!

Welcome to SG101, AXXA! You've definitely come to the right place.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Welcome aboard AXXA!
Best forum on the net, right here.

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Hey AXXA. You've got some good taste in music. You in a band?

(But,...you failed to mention a Fender Reverb unit in your gear list. (W.T.F., Bro? Smile )

Twisted Evil > Angel

AXXA wrote: Hey guys, glad to be here! I've been reading the forum here for a while, and finally got around to joining tonight. I like the enthusiasm here, and I like that y'all are such gentlemen in your discussions. And of course, I like surf!

Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace. Glad to have you with us. We have a great bunch of guys and gals here. We have everyone from absolute beginners to old hacks (like myself) to some of the best surf guitarists on the planet. This is the place to share your interest in surf.

Your observation is right. We don't flame folks for their opinions (like some other forums do). Whether you are a beginner or been playing for 50 years, I like to hear your opinions.

You name a lot of great bands.Check out some of Martin Cilia (a member here) and the Atlantics music. If you are not already familar with it, you may like it. Flight of the Surf Guitar is a great starting point.

I like your gear rig. 69 Twin should be a great amp. I have a 69 Dual Showman Reverb. Best I can tell, the DSR is just a head version of the Twin. Great amps. How od you like your Squier VM Jag? I picked one of those up last June. (Surf green of course) The one I got was fine. Great guitar for the price. How is the Sidejack? I have never played that one. Thought about giving one a try. I would like to hear that one if possible. Been curious about the Sidejack. Sure is a sharp looking guitar.

Talk to you later,
Norm

Hey there AXXA! Welcome to the forum from a fellow Atlantan! Do you play in a band in town? We'd love to meet you sometime, so hopefully we can catch you at a local Atlanta surf show (rare as they can be... haha).

Welcome AXXA,

Mark these dates to remember on your "Surf to do Today Calendar."

May 3-5, Instro Summit, Durham, NC.......check it out Three days of total Surf/Instro saturation.

May 11th Atlanta Food Truck Park, Howell Mill and I-75 A slew of the Southern Surf purveyors of reverb all afternoon.

June 22 Surf Fest 2013, Downtown Douglasville, All afternoon and into the night.

Welcome aboard, and Best Reverbs,

Eddie Katcher, The Surge!
The "Old Dude" of Southern Surf
Leaving out the vocals since 1963

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Hello SG101!! I've been reading these forums for probably 2 months or more, so tonight I finally bit the bullet and registered. I probably should have joined sooner, but college is making me tighten up my schedule. Oh well, just one more year left....until I'm working at a Starbucks or something. Whatever

All-in-all, I can't wait to enhance my knowledge of Surf Music, Surf Gear, and to find ways to work what I can acquire into my already eclectic songwriting. I initially was a huge fan of Spaghetti Western Soundtracks, Instro Music, and Surf Rock like Dick Dale, The Trashmen, and the Ventures, but it wasn't until I whimsically strolled Youtube a few years ago that I began to fully absorb and enjoy the whole surf spectrum....so here I am now.

I really wish I could contribute something of substance right now, but seeing as to the fact that it is past 3:45 am (and I have my contract law class in a few hours.... Zzzzz ) I'll just wrap it up with this post for now.

Respectfully,

-Kian

Last edited: Apr 05, 2013 02:52:53

Welcome, Kian! Chalk up another Carolina member, Woot! Woot!

Not sure how deep into tomato-based BBQ land you are (how far "Western" that is), but you should definitely consider making it to Durham for some part or all of the Instro Summit. Cinco De Mayo weekend.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Welcome to SG101, Kian. As fady said, if you can, coming to all or even some of the Instro Summit will be a great experience. The spectacular music is only part of it. You'll also get to know as nice and fine a group of people as there are anywhere.

Welcome aboard Kian!

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Haha, well my definition of Western is pretty Western. Picture about 40 miles from the NC/GEORGIA border (the one most people don't know about) and about 95 miles from Knoxville, Tennessee. I go to Western Carolina University, so that is why I listed my location as Western Carolina. However, I actually live about 20 minutes from Raleigh when I'm not in school.

Unfortunately, my final exam is the 6th. I actually saw someone post that flyer earlier and got all happy about it, but then I got my exam dates finalized. Happiness deflated....oh well, there's always next time. I'm sure it'll come back by the numbers of people that say they're going.

As far as BBQ goes, funnily enough my folks run a BBQ catering business and we use a variety of sauce styles from mustard-based to tomato-based to vinegar-based, but our main draw is actually red wine based. It might be a Central North Carolina thing, I dunno. I'm not the best judge of the different BBQ styles: My folks are originally from Vermont/Quebec, and I didn't eat my first succulent pulled pork BBQ until I was almost 16. Sigh

Last edited: Apr 05, 2013 11:16:39

Kian wrote: Hello SG101!! I've been reading these forums for probably 2 months or more, so tonight I finally bit the bullet and registered.

Welcome to our little corner of cyber space. We have a great bunch of guys and gals here. Everyone from absolute beginners to old hacks (like myself) to some of the best surf players on the planet.

I have my contract law class in a few hours

That should be an interesting class. One of the more interesting and more common sense based areas of law (well at least in the academic setting).

Talk to you later,
Norm

My name is Matt and I found the site a few weeks ago and I've been lurking so much that I figured I should probably just make an account. A little history about me and surf, when I was around 5 or 6 my aunt gave me a surf cassette tape that I'm surprised still works, I listened to it nonstop for hours on end day after day after day. Track list shown here: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Surfin-USA/release/3788980
Mostly vocal stuff but I love it all, though I get the feeling that isn't how most people feel here......dont judge me. I'm hoping the site will help give me some insight to playing surf music because I love messing around with it but I haven't sat down to actually try and write a structured song.

No worries, Matt. If a comp like that resonates this strongly, you definitely belong here. It's true that almost all current surf music is instrumental. The saxophone isn't used much any more either even though it was once fairly common. Things change over time, that's all, but great music is still great music. I like those old songs and I think more than a few people here play them too. Welcome to SG101.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013 23:10:41

shadowlink867 wrote: My name is Matt and I found the site a few weeks ago and I've been lurking so much that I figured I should probably just make an account.

Welcome to our little corner of cyber space. We have a great bunch of guys and gals here. Everyone from absolute beginners to old hanks (like myself) to some of the best surf guitar players on the planet. If you are interestned in surf, this is the place to be.

Mostly vocal stuff but I love it all, though I get the feeling that isn't how most people feel here......

Old timers like myself usually consider surf rock as instrumental. The vocal type that the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean created, I call the California sound. But that is splitting hairs. There is plenty of common ground between those. Heck, even the King of Surf, Dick Dale, who proclaims to have invented surf did some vocal songs back in the beach movie era.

I'm hoping the site will help give me some insight to playing surf music

You are in the right place for that. We have a lot of information already up. We have tabs and backing tracks to help you along. If you run into something you don't understand or need some help with, ask. There is a lot of collective surf experience around here. The folks here share freely out of a love for surf and a desire to keep it alive and well. That means we need to help new players along. We depend on bringing new blood into surf to keep it going long after we are gone. Sadly too many of the early surf players are gone. Fortunately we have this site to hekp new players pick up the torch.

Talk to you later,
Norm

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 555 56 Next