Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SurfGuitar101 Website »

Permalink How to read the forums

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I see a lot of people use the home page list of recently updated threads to read the forums. This makes me sad because I did a lot of work to make the site keep track of which threads are unread for each user. The site puts these new icons besides topics and threads you haven't read or have new posts.

You can actually click these "new" icons and it will take you to the unread posts.

But the secret weapon is the "Show topics with unread posts" button in the pulldown menu on the upper right of the main forum index page. Click GO beside that and it will generate a list of your unread topics.

photo

You can use the global "Mark all topics read" button at the bottom of the main forum index to, well, mark all topics read. Each forum has one of these buttons also, so if you are like me, you can regularly hit that button in the Gear and Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

Also take a look at some of the other options in that pulldown menu.

And again, the best way to read the forums on a mobile device is to use an RSS reader. Just plug this link into your reader software. Google Reader is my favorite, but unfortunately Google is retiring that product in July. But other products are stepping up to fill the void.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022 17:14:04

Thumbs Up

Thanks for the tip!
You know we are lo-tech folk out who use tube amps, spring reverbs and a wire cord.

It aint called 101 for nuttin.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

I always go to the forums, And click on every
Orange icon.
Except for the gear area.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Awesome, I'm glad it helped someone!

I head straight for unread pretty much every time. I have to remind myself to look for the things it doesn't cover (but should). Fabulous feature. I think I've been using some variant of this feature since 2006.

Occasionally I subscribe to something too. You want to subscribe to things that amount to mailing lists on shows, like the SG101 Convention thread, or Instro-Summit, or where a favorite band might play. I wish there were a way to subscribe to things like the calendar or a particular band, etc.

Using the Forum without making use of features like these is like trying to play guitar one-handed.

Last edited: Apr 02, 2013 14:50:04

Thanks! I hadn't noticed the feature, it's my favorite on the forums that do have it.

IMO.

I have only used the links to the 20 newest posted threads
Twice before.
I hardly ever look at the Front page.
I have to remind myself to look at the news items
Periodically. But they are usually duplicates
Of stuff in the forums.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

But the secret weapon is the "Show topics with unread posts" button in the pulldown menu on the upper right of the main forum index page. Click GO beside that and it will generate a list of your unread topics.

This is a complete game changer for me. I hate sub-forums as a rule, while necessary I just can't constantly be clicking on multiple sub-fourms to see new posts. Once or twice a day, yes. But not the way I use this board on slow evenings.

Thanks Brian!

I always use the 'Show topics...' function and haven't thought of doing anything different every time I log on. Having said that I could browse more of the site generally...

https://www.facebook.com/lostremoleros/

Brian,
I noticed this feature about a week ago. First I wondered why every thread I saw was NOT labeled "NEW." It was as if everything I touched lost its newness. At that moment I understood. I had not imagined that the website could track that much detail in my viewing.

I am deeply impressed, Brian. Thank you.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013 16:12:27

Brian told me how to do that years ago.

Ain't you guys caught up yet ? Big Grin

Freshwater Surfin'

The Murray Basin
Australia

Bump for new members!!!

98% of the time, I go to all the sections of the Forum from in the Forum.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Bumping this! Also replaced the image that got lost in the first post.

A few people told me recently that they can not use their phone to view the forum. I can, And I am no rocket or computer scientist.
what are they doing wrong, or I am doing right?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022 19:14:22

The forum does look like shit on a phone (lots of side to side scrolling needed) but it can be done. I had work in progress to fix this but got derailed by life.

I turn the phone sideways,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Brian wrote:

The forum does look like shit on a phone (lots of side to side scrolling needed) but it can be done. I had work in progress to fix this but got derailed by life.

Sometimes I wish life would just leave me alone

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

The bookmark on my browser bar goes directly to that 'unread posts' link.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Thanks for the tip, Brian. I am new to this type of site, and I am still trying to figure this out.

Michael B. Coats

Goto Page: 1 2 Next