Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SG101 Podcast »

Permalink Like our podcast? - we need your help to fight patent trolls!

Page 1 of 1

Many of you have heard by now of a phenomenon known as the Patent Troll. These are entities that buy up patents and use them offensively to make money, with no regard to the damage it does to society. Now, there's one going after podcasts - all podcasts. This is a real threat, they've already successfully sued Apple.

This is a non-partisan issue that effects all users and future users of the internet, and really has potential for even greater damage. Fortunately, there is a response to this threat- The Shield Act. Go to this link and it will guide you to automatically tell your representatives to support the Shield Act. DO IT!!!! (please)

www.eff.org/shield

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Mar 03, 2013 18:18:54

It seems there are more than one kind of pirate harming musicians. Thanks for the heads-up, Danny.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Done. (That was easy.)

CUTBACK

Done

Done

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

Done.

Noble cause, but at a cursory glance, it appears to be an effort focused on the symptom, not the problem. Meaning, from the limited information I see, it appears to be a plea giving someone authority to decide if a patent owners rights will be enforced or not.

As that 9 to 5 Mac article writes "The new patent, issued just last year on Feb. 7, 2012, is quite broad and describes a 'System for Disseminating Media Content Representing Episodes in a Serialized Sequence.' ", it would seem the bigger issue here is the legitimacy or rigor that goes into issuance of a patent nowadays.

Anyone aware of any efforts focused on addressing/improving the patent issuance side of the equation?

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

There is a major effort underway right now to reform the patent system, at least when it comes to technology and information systems.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

How did this go (so far)?

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

(Corrected Bill No. & citation of vote tally)

Good timing. US House of Reps just voted last week (Dec 5) with a decisive majority on legislation to curb patent trolls at-large. House Bill HR 3309 "Innovation Act". Passed 325-91 (votes).

I think it needs to still get through the Senate before it really matters, but the topic has attention.

A few associated links:

http://judiciary.house.gov/news/2013/12052013.html

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20131202/CPRT-113-HPRT-RU00-HR3309.xml

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/12/05/the-house-votes-on-patent-reform-today-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013 21:11:12

Yay! I would've voted but mine would've been a troll vote if it had've let me, which it didn't (and rightfully so). (When I tried to enter the postal code for Wellington, NZ, it didn't know WTF was going on)

Surf Daddies

So does this mean there will be another SG101 podcast soon?

Surf Daddies

Some news on this front via the EFF:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Adam Carolla’s Settlement with the Podcasting Troll

Great explanation of what's happened (and continues to happen!). I hate that it got settled only because of what the result could have been, but I certainly understand how expensive this all is. Buncha bullies. Here's hoping the bigger dogs in the fight will take it even further!

Thanks for the update, Brian!

Just blows my mind you can get a patent for creating an .mp3 file and putting it on the internet for other people to download.

It blows my mind that you can use the courts to bully the citizens of this country.

I hope this troll gets clobbered. It's such an important case.

Greed...

That's why I love the whole Linux community. Innovation and sharing for FREE!

Brian wrote:

Just blows my mind you can get a patent for creating an .mp3 file and putting it on the internet for other people to download.

I heard the actual definition was an even broader stroke, along the lines of "A series of chapters of online audio content in sequential order"... Whatever That's completely nuts.
Too much lawyers, making 'justice' a business, what can you expect.

A nice ending to the story:

EFF Busts Podcasting Patent, Invalidating Key Claims at Patent Office

that's great news, thanks for updating us Brian.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Page 1 of 1