Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Surf Age Nuggets

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Ah, I see that in the wikipedia entry on .wav files now. Thanks. Yes, the answer seems to be use a ripping solution that relies on the freedb.org database, because Gracenote only has part of the information (at least now). VLC must use freedb as it had the track info immediately after I got Surf Nuggets.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

IvanP wrote:

I think this post by Ted was meant for this thread:
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/post/267380/

Damn phone! ...or brain. Operator error.

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Brian,

Yeah, I checked wikipedia among other things, but only to endure I knew the answer. I've had to deal enough with programming for WAV files professionally that I've had to deal with it. For example, one employer I had did a lot with voice playback (for ATC systems). They used metadata in WAV files in order to tie the file into their syntax system.

And one of my current home projects is to replicate the finctionality of lib_sndfile in Lisp, so I've been haunting sound file formats lately. Big Grin

This has been very enlightening, though I still have a long way to go. In niche music we probably see more of the odd cases wrt labeling than most music listeners. And we are generally more serious about having stuff labelled.

Observationally with iTunes 11, there are three cases with a new CD when you try to import it into iTunes.

1) The CD is recognized and you can import it with the labeling. Presumably it is already in Gracenote.

2) The CD is recognized as labelled and you can import it with the labeling and also iTunes asks if it can submit the information to Gracenote. I assume in this case that the labeling information is coming from the CD, but perhaps some online resource is involved.

3a) The CD is unrecognized and you elect to key in the CD and track information after importing. At which point it is too late to submit the track information to Gracenote/CDDB.

3b) If the CD is unrecognized, and you elect to label it before importing it, and then if you wish you can submit the information before you import.

3c) As I recall, when I reimported CD 1, having previously labelled it after importing it, it was recognized and imported with that previously entered labeling, but there was no offer to submit the information to Gracenote. And, of course, I had to delete one of the copies of each track.

What seems to be happening behind the scenes is that iTunes can get the information from several places, including Gracenote and your local information (if you have already imported and labelled manually), but it also has some other resource, whether that is online or on the CD, and it is sometimes interested in transferring this information to Gracenote. It is never (in my experience) interested in transferring your hand entered information, unless you do this before importing the first time.

I suppose it is possible that variant 2 represents getting "unverified" information from Gracenote and that "submitting" in this case is Gracenote's way of getting people to approve of someone else's data entry. I don't think this makes sense. You don't usually study the labeling well enough at this point to be construed as approving it.

I always set up a program to include text in a burn. I have encountered car players that can read CD text and car players that do not. I have never had a home system that read it.

I receive a certain number of informally copied CDs for things no longer available otherwise and I have noticed that these are often recognized as if they were an original. Sometimes iTunes is not sure which of several editions such a CD is. This is also sometimes true with purchased "original" copies.

I just typed 'em in by hand. I feel like it made me a better person, as wll asd a biteer tipest.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

I need to get these CD'S, there's some great stuff on them. Drool I have the Lost Legends of Surf Vol.3 and love it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013 00:07:25

This thread is now making my head hurt,and my eyes roll back in my head.
I just put the cd in the Home or truck player and listen.
If I wanna know the info, I look at the book it came in.
But I guess that is just too hard for some to do.
Whatever

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

This thread is now making my head hurt,and my eyes roll back in my head.
I just put the cd in the Home or truck player and listen.
If I wanna know the info, I look at the book it came in.
But I guess that is just too hard for some to do.
Whatever

Lol true, reinventing the wheel you could say for lack of a better comparison.

Really Jeff? If you had an mp3 player I think you would be asking along with the rest of us "how do you get 104 songs & artist names onto my device without me having to type them all in." We aren't making it harder, we are trying to make it easier.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013 08:11:50

I had a home CD carousel (Sony?) that would read/display CD text.

Usually, I don't like the formatting other people submit to freedb (or others). So I always end up having to muck with the text anyway.

Brian wrote:

Really Jeff? If you had an mp3 player I think you would be asking along with the rest of us "how do you get 104 songs & artist names onto my device without me having to type them all in." We aren't making it harder, we are trying to make it easier. Whatever

It's tedious, but I actually type all the metadata into Media Player before I sync it to my mp3 player. I didn't used to do it but I quickly tired of looking on the display and seeing nothing. I also do it for Japanese issue CDs too. They come with the metadata, but I can't read any of it.

I appreciate not having to type all this info in myself, so thanks to all those who do it so I don't have to. But it's also not a problem if I'm just spinning CDs.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Brian wrote:

Really Jeff? If you had an mp3 player ...

Jeff is a traditional first wave music integrator. He uses Fender orange (county) crates for the media and looks up the contents in his head. I could remember where everything was when I was his age, too. Now I don't remember if I even have it sometimes, and I definitely can't find it thumbing around in my shelves of CDs and records without a very strong light and a magnifying glass.

I do a certain amount of mucking with what comes out of the databases, too, but they are better than they used to be, and too much typing makes me bitter at it too.

At a minimum, I really hate it when all the bands are alphabetized under "t." Or, "i," if they're Italian. Of course i for Italian really is kind of iconic and I'm amazed that I never noticed it. There's d for Deutsch, too, and I guess l in Spanish is for latino.

I also hate capitalized prepositions, conjunctions, and articles, etc., as in Man Or Astro-man's Domain Of The Human Race. But there's not enough time in the world to fix that. Or is it Man ... or Astro-Man? i forget.

Brian wrote:

Really Jeff? If you had an mp3 player I think you would be asking along with the rest of us "how do you get 104 songs & artist names onto my device without me having to type them all in." We aren't making it harder, we are trying to make it easier.

I got a Ipod for X-mas, but haven't put anything on it yet.
I will never use it for DJing, that is vinyl and cd only.
I will put a bunch of my favorite cds on the ipod and play it in my truck
which has a ipod input on the face of it.
But I always listen to whole albums,
hit play and let er go.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 09:27:50

if you have windows 'mediaplayer' it will recognize the song titles but itunes is still sadly oblivious....

That recording flow chart is brilliant!

Paul

Number9 wrote:

Ah, Holy Tech time!

Haha love it!

Or not.

hey,yay, itunes has finally recognized the track listings.....!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next