Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Surf Age Nuggets

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Norm and Jim, I think Jon & the Nightriders beat you to the punch - sort of. Check out their 2000 album, Undercover:

Besides borrowing the cover of the Creations' Crash single, the album has four tracks that are also found on Surf Nuggets: XL-3 by the Phantoms, Crash by the Creations, Rev Up by Manuel & the Renegades, and Earthquake by Marlow Stewart & the Illusions. And though they aren't, both Hurricane by Conrad & the Hurricane Strings and Stampede by the Scarlets could have easily been on Surf Nuggets. (Undercover also features a few tracks that I've never seen compiled in the original, and it's a damn shame, too! Why has Sea-N-Shore by Jerry & the Diamonds (written by Jim Masoner) never been compiled and rereleased? It's an amazing track. Also, The Force of Gravity by Genteels, They've Landed by the Sorensen Brothers and Swamp Rider by Tommy Reed and the Runaways - never seen those compiled, either. (Please correct me if I am wrong and some of these have been compiled and released.))

It's interesting to think about the Surf Nuggets tracks that have been covered in the past 20 or some years. The Bitch Boys did Gotcha by the Tradewinds, Ali Baba by Dave & the Customs, and The Breeze and I by the Vibrants on their 2004 album Ride the First Wave. The Tiki Tones (with Shag on rhythm guitar) covered the Cherokees' Uprisin'. The Penetrators did Unknown by the Vy-Dels, the Untamed Youth did Minor Chaos by the Furys, and Fifty Foot Combo did Ali Baba by Dave & the Customs. And of course, the Toads' Morpheus has been covered many times, most notably by Satan's Pilgrims and the Nebulas. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012 15:32:46

A band (or bands) to play it all live would be something though. At a special show or two? Drool

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

TFJ wrote:

shivers13 wrote:

Man, I would love to put together a band specifically to play the stuff off this disc! If you live in the L.A. area send me a message!

Give me a month, I'll fly out for a week or two to practice & then do the show (assuming you play guitar).

tfj

That would be an honor, Jim! Fly out here permanantly and let's start a band! I'm actually serious about finding some players to jam this stuff!

IvanP wrote:

Norm and Jim, I think Jon & the Nightriders beat you to the punch - sort of. Check out their 2000 album, Undercover:

Yeah, I remember in the 90's most of the bands including ours tried to dig deep into these obscure tracks to cover. Mostly from the Surf Creature, Surfer's Mood and Wax 'em Down Comps. Now that this colection is out I hope it inspires bands to play some of this rather that the same old standards.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Brian wrote:

A band (or bands) to play it all live would be something though. At a special show or two? Drool

Now that would be far-out!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

The drums on these discs are blowing my mind. As a rhythm guitarist and wanna be drummer I listen to the snare a lot.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

IvanP wrote:

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Interesting that The Bambi Molesters did The Debonairs version of High Wall (itself a cover of Fabulous Wailers.) A cover of a cover.

At least it sounds to me like the Bambi's version owes more to The Debonairs than the Wailers (whom they credit on Intensity!).

Unless I'm mistaken, Dalibor.

IvanP wrote:

I think Jon and the Nightriders beat a lot of people to the punch...and probably won the round, if not the match.

shivers13 wrote:

TFJ wrote:

shivers13 wrote:
That would be an honor, Jim! Fly out here permanantly and let's start a band! I'm actually serious about finding some players to jam this stuff!

I'd come out and jam on it - wasn't kidding about that. I just need to be at the Tiki Ti by 3:45.

Yeah, I remember in the 90's most of the bands including ours tried to dig deep into these obscure tracks to cover. Mostly from the Surf Creature, Surfer's Mood and Wax 'em Down Comps. Now that this colection is out I hope it inspires bands to play some of this rather that the same old standards.

That was one of the best things about the 90s bands - they dug deep for vinyl and/or obscure stuff and learned how to play based on that - and almost, if not more importantly, they went after the tone/sound. Hearing those bands play got me looking for the originals.

This whole thing is great & there are so many things to say, but one observation: - Disc 3; Track 11 - Vy-Dels - Unknown. I am freaking amazed at how the Krontjong Devils nailed the tone on this on their first CD. Insane.

Received my copy last night, the replacement for the envelope that arrived empty.

TFJ, that is a couple of times you mentioned emphasized the importance of the tone, or sound. That is really it for me, too. I don't really listen to this music for complexity, or even great arrangements particularly--melodies are important, of course--but this music for me is mostly about mood and tone.

A couple of early random observations...
The Persuaders "City Of Atlantis" (disc three) jumps out at me, because it sounds more modern somehow...well actually, it sounds like a Space Cossacks tune. It's the Shadows influence, I guess.

Also, this is the first time I've heard Baja covered in the Hazlewood version (The Turks, disc 4). I'm sure by this time, The Astronauts was the one everyone knew. But that Al Casey album must have been popular too, because The Hearse also got covered a lot.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012 17:43:48

So when is this thing going to hit the Gracenote media database? LOL, I won't rip it until I can avoid typing in all the names.

The database that VLC media player uses already has it.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Mine came in the mail today. I'm burning "play" copies now, the originals will be archived. Stoked! Big Grin

You're not drunk if you can put your socks on while standing.

Brian wrote:

So when is this thing going to hit the Gracenote media database? LOL, I won't rip it until I can avoid typing in all the names.

Very frustrating, yes! Would some other poor iTunes users please key this in decently for us? I'm tempted to offer to divide the task with someone. Surely we can't be the only two people who need this!

Maybe by way of experiment I'll do just one disk, like number 1? OK, done and what a pain in the butt that is. See if it comes up now. They may have some kind of probationary process, or require multiple similar submissions. Who knows? For the record, in iTunes your only option with the track details seems to be to say no in the import module to importing without details, type them in at that point (not later in iTunes proper) and then submit them from the Options pulldown.

Last edited: Dec 06, 2012 02:19:56

I typed in all 4 discs, but I only get the grace note prompt when I insert the cd. How do you get the grace note to prompt on command ?

DaveF wrote:

I typed in all 4 discs, but I only get the grace note prompt when I insert the cd. How do you get the grace note to prompt on command ?

Thanks, Dave! You are a benefactor of humanity. At least to SG101 humanity.

You don't, as far as I can tell. It only gives you the option during the import. This is consistent with past experience. It gives them proof you actually have the CD, I guess, and they need to be able to collect the signatures of the CD and tracks.

Incidentally, you aren't in yet. For me. I bet you are in for you. I am still getting no data for volume 2, which I did not enter myself, but volume 1, which I did enter myself, shows with data. Importing without replacing yields two copies of everything, but labelled as I did it.

What is the 28th track on volume 4?

Last edited: Dec 06, 2012 02:29:21

Tuck wrote:

What is the 28th track on volume 4?

I didn't see it given a name anywhere in the booklet, so I labeled it "Commercials and Jingles" by "Surf-Age Nuggets". Sounds like Gracenote has at least a half-dozen entries for this set yet, you'd think they'd have approved one by now.

The Spoils - FB - RN
Second Saturday Surf in Austin, TX - FB

Last edited: Dec 06, 2012 11:22:21

anybody else get this?
or is Santa bringing it for x-mas?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks Tuck, but I could not figure how to send my typed info to Gracenote.
As soon as you "Get Info" & start typing, sending data to Gracenote is an option I can't find.

If you go to itunes & search on "surf age nuggets", I see song info for all 104 songs.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next