Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Shoot the Pier - Low Hangs The Moon (EP)

Page 1 of 1

Shoot the Pier - Low Hangs The Moon (EP)

Got my copy from Bill & Ellie yesterday, and after the Halloween madness passed, I've gotten a few spins with it.

What stands out to me is the the growth and evolution of their sound and song writing. They've arrived at a place where the tunes are on the darker, mellower side - and that's not a bad thing. I'm not being disingenuous when I suggest they have a very Bambi Molesters "Dark Wave Swells" vibe going on, and it's great. Bonus points for being totally self recorded, produced, mixed and mastered.

The Polls. There's something very B-52's-ish (think self titled/first record) about the bass line and melody here. There is a bit of tension and some reserve about the song that swells ebbs - teasing, never quite cresting - but taking you right to the edge. It's got a seductive sense that makes you wanna hear it all over again.

Green Room Meditation. Less a structured song, per-se, much more a swirling and hypnotic grove with a very splashy reverb rhythm that opens the track, disappears, then sneaks back in to remind you of the surf experiences that inspired it. Not spy, but there's a mysterious spirit in the melody that sets the tone, along with a tasteful touch of synth and some spatial guitar effects to add color to the meditative state.

Low Hangs The Moon. As Bill & Ellie write a song, you can hear them posted on their ReverbNation page - you often need not wait for the next release. All along, I thought The Poles was going to be my favorite on this upcoming EP. I have a new favorite from the batch hearing Low Hangs The Moon again. Catchy sea like melody here to weave through the song. My favorite part - there is a lot going on in the secondary layers of this song. I mentioned this to Bill the first time I heard it and still fell this way; there is a very Radiohead Kid A type thing going on - which is to say the rhythm and percussion sections are deceptive - at first you don't notice them, but they peek in and grab you then fade to the background to make room for the melody. Careful though - the've not disappeared, just moved. Listen closely and you feel it pulsing all along. LOVE how the melody/lead and rhythms come together on this one. A brilliant cut and definitely my favorite Shoot The Pier song.

Surfer Lost. A song dedicated to those surfers who lost their lives doing what Bill & Ellie love (living life to it's fullest). If I recall correctly, this was written shortly after Andy Irons passed (about this time last year.) Lots of musical layers - beautiful composition, many interwoven textures including some dark brass horn(s), unless my ears are playing tricks on me(?). It is somber but also has moments of dreamy energy - it all comes together very nicely.

Emily sitting on her board waiting for one last wave reflecting on the day. The perfect ending to this EP - a dreamy little number that shimmers like the sunset glistening on the ripples of the ocean. You know it's winding down and fading away, and that's ok. It's been a good day.

I know Bill & Ellie wrestled a bit with seeming to write "only dark sounding" songs lately. Perhaps it's the perfect timing, but listening to these songs as an EP right now as fall has settled in and it feels like winter isn't too far away - it's all so fitting and works so well. Nice work!

I'm really enjoying this EP, and if you've read this far, I think you should give it a listen too. You can hear the songs on their Reverbnation page, and watch their videos there too. Reach out to Bill (SurferBill) if you're interested in getting a physical CD.

Nicely Done Bill, Ellie!!

ps - I don't think you could have had a better image for the cover work, nor title for that matter - so apropos! Totally fitting for the soundscape you've put together here. Maybe I should have just posted the picture to save the 1,000 words ; )

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Nov 02, 2011 08:12:00

I only got a chance to listen to this once so far, but the variety and quality really struck me. I can't wait to spend some more time with it!

Mike

manfromravcon.com

Thank you. We so much appreciate.

Shoot the Pier on Bandcamp
Shoot the Pier on Reverb Nation
Shoot The Pier on Facebook
We are on Instagram under "@shootthepiersurfband"

My Country EP ... Florida Dirt Fire
https://floridadirtfire.bandcamp.com/album/florida-dirt-fire

My French Love Songs ... I really needed a change...
www.lonelyrose.bandcamp.com

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011 13:44:42

Thursday I filled up the 6-CD player in my car for a trip to San Luis Obispo to visit my son (who is a surfer, BTW). But I kept going back to this little EP. Great, great stuff - very moody, but in a good way. Can't wait to play a track on my radio show tonight. Some surf bands seem to have trouble with slow tunes, like they are holding themselves back, but not Shoot the Pier. Gorgeous.

Just got around to listening to this. I think it's definitely a step forward from Surf Dance, which I still enjoyed. They've really crafted their own sound here (and for a "bedroom" recording I wouldn't change a thing production-wise) to the point where it sometimes creeps a little past what I would call "surf", not that that bothers me in the slightest.

Really, all of these are great, and to be honest I find it a lot more, I don't know, direct than a lot of the ballad-type surf bands. The sound is there, the melodies are there, and it doesn't over-flaunt either part. It just presents itself and lets you slip in, doesn't try to move you, and I really appreciate that.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Very cool to get a copy of Great Britain's PipeLine #87 Winter in the mail today...with a surprising review of our EP and quotes saying..."and the result is a pleasing update of surf music". Not sure what that means...but it sounds way cool. And finishing with, "Low Hangs The Moon makes a relaxing companion for the end of a day at the beach".

...tomorrow is my birthday...and I will celebrate by being in the water at the Poles at 6:30AM EST. To those who have never surfed...try it someday...come to FLA and I can teach you.

Last edited: Dec 07, 2011 19:26:20

Nice! Always good to get overseas press.

Mike

manfromravcon.com

Thumbs Up

A few spins with this in your honor today!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Much Thanks! to the Spanish publication "Pérdidos Por El Mástil" for the wonderful write-up on our EP. We are grateful.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/Lemonstreet/SpanishPage12-2011Issue.jpg
i915.photobucket.com

After reading one of Bills threads and hearing a sample of Shoot the Pier, I looked them up on facebook and a few days later I had their CD, Surf Dance and this new EP Low Hangs the Moon in my hand.
I have listened to them both pretty extensively over the last couple of weeks and I must say,I have become a huge fan of their sound. Like some have said before, it's kind of a “slow surf groove kinda thing” they have going. Or maybe some kind of surf/jazz/fusion..?
I don't know, I'm not all that good at using all the proper musical terms and verbiage most of you use.

I will tell you this though, I listen to a lot of surf music, and my wife is OK with most of it but ,she rarely will comment on what I listen to (unless it's some of the softer Mermen stuff that she likes) .

I popped in Low Hangs the Moon in the car on our way to a dinner date a few days ago and she loved it! Wouldn't stop asking me questions about it and so on. Both of us are blown away that Bill and Ellie did this recording all by themselves.( Fantastic job!)

So anyway, Low Hangs The Moon gets two thumbs up from this family...If you haven't checked it out yet , DO IT!

You won't be disappointed.

Jeff - sonOsea

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012 16:57:33

Thanks Jeff...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012 08:44:17

Page 1 of 1