Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Surf Age Nuggets

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Just got notice that mine is on the way too from Amazon - can't wait to dig into it!

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Amazon says it's sitting at my front door as we speak.

Got a refund from Amazon.
$3.64 for pre order price protection.
that was kind of them.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

Mine will arrive tomorrow--stoked! I don't really have any of the more obscure stuff on this set, so it should be a revelation. Hopefully it will spark a lot of good conversation!

caddady wrote:

that was kind of them.

They deigned to give me a credit for the $3.64 after pressing them. It's the principle of the thing, not the cash, but three bucks here and there does add up...

Frugal and irked,
Rick

Rick

Got it! The booklet looks AMAZING! Looking forward to checking this out.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Got mine today too (did the pre-order on the Kmart site when this all started) starting to thumb thru the book, and really enjoying it so far. Great pictures and mostly intersting factoids about each song.

Haven't been able to give the disc's a proper listen to appreciate the mix and mastering (I think many of these are first listens for me), but wanted to point out that at least the Kmart site has sound samples for all tracks.

http://entertainment.kmart.com/surf-age-nuggets-various-surf-age-nuggetstrash-and-twang-instrumentals-1959-1966/089353309824

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

caddady wrote:

that was kind of them.

Same here...now just waiting for that brown truck Yes

One early comment on the collection, it has given me an "ah-ha" regarding how much music in this genre was happening outside of SoCal during the first wave. I've not counted (yet anyhow), but there are quite a few tracks on the first disc alone from elsewhere in the US.

Don't get me wrong, it'll always be called "SoCal's indigenous folk music", but I hadn't before appreciated how much was going on outside the walls of Surf Mecca at that time. Way more than just The Trashmen and the Astronauts tearing it up.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

sonOsea wrote:

caddady wrote:

that was kind of them.

Same here...now just waiting for that brown truck Yes

yep..me2

www.northofmalibu.com

I just ordered it too. It's supposed to arrive on Tuesday! Between this and all the new stuff I ordered from Double Crown I'm all set for the Thanksgiving road trip!

Chris

It's in my hands, and I read the booklet last night. Now to listen...
(and I got the Amazon refund, too).

Listened to 1 and 3 so far. Mostly raw and raucous and pretty great. Really enjoying it. Unfortunately, disc 2 kinda made my CD player (older 5-disc changer) freak out a bit and freeze up, no matter what I did, whatever slot I put it in, etc. Damn. I hope my computer will load it in....

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Ordered my Tuesday around noon. Amalzon email on Wednesday saying it was shipped, estimate arrival date Saturday. Got it in the mail today Smile

Groovy pictures, odd size 11.25 inches long, 6 inches tall

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012 21:33:19

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012 21:36:54

I'm not sure how I missed this, but it's now ordered.

RK

That does look like a nice book! Ordered it this morning... a good book and 4 solid CD's would make this a no-brainer even at $50 or $60.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Unfortunately my 2nd disc is skipping too! Ivan, do you have trouble with the first 4-5 songs? After that point mine plays fine. I'm going to try to transfer it into iTunes. It skipped in my car CD player (with a stock 1999 Subaru CD player)

Sean
IvanP wrote:

Listened to 1 and 3 so far. Mostly raw and raucous and pretty great. Really enjoying it. Unfortunately, disc 2 kinda made my CD player (older 5-disc changer) freak out a bit and freeze up, no matter what I did, whatever slot I put it in, etc. Damn. I hope my computer will load it in....

Sean
Double Crown Records

Ugh...the CD's in the box haven't been submitted to Gracenote yet - so if you add them to iTunes, you may have to type everything in. I just did disc 2, and will submit the track list to iTunes. That's all I can do tonight though - it's getting late. Just want to see if this disc that skips in the car can be ripped into iTunes.

Sean
Double Crown Records

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next