Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Shadow Amplification Sprang Thang Pedal

Page 1 of 1

Presented without comment.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian, I actually bought one of these pedals recently.

The demo is well done, but doesn't really capture how the pedal sounds in person for surf guitar applications.

The Sprang Thang has a lot of sparkle to it and sounds very good for a straightforward design (one knob, one on/off button).

I thought that it sounded best for surf at about 3 o'clock.

Comparing it to the quality on-board reverb of my Fender amps, the Sprang Thang really got closer to surf being in the front of the signal chain.

When compared to my tank, the reverb unit obviously had more flexibility. However, the pedal had a brighter sparkle to it and did not cost volume like the tank. This particular pedal is also really lightweight.

It would be interesting to have someone compare it to the Boss FRV-1 '63.

Paul

From that demo, the "Sprang Thang" sounds pretty good. Might be a bit limited as far as "tweakability" goes with only one knob but that could be a good thing. I couldn't find a price listed for it - how much did you pay for your's, ColtsSurf?

Last edited: Oct 02, 2012 15:14:47

Sounds very promising; might be one to keep an eye out for. Yes

There's a lot to be said for a one knob pedal if it's designed well. I'm using an Alien Space'O'Verb which is also a one knob layout. At settings up to around 10-11 o'clock it emulates an onboard spring reverb quite well; if anything, you can retain a good deal of clarity with higher reverb settings that with the real thing. Once you move past that mark, it quite clearly shifts into Tank territory. Obviously there's not much control over the parameters (like none...), but I lucked out with the default setting being remarkably close to how I have my Tank set most of the time anyway (all knobs usually between 6-7) if I set the dial to 3 o'clock. Of course, higher settings give you the drenching you'd expect.
Big Grin
The reverb itself is very good; if I set up my FRV-1 to sound similar, the Alien still seems to be a touch smoother. Also, being able to go from a subtle verb to a full-on Tank assault with just the flick of a knob comes in a lot handier than I realized it would.

Last edited: Apr 06, 2012 16:26:38

The down side I hear in the demo is the increased noise floor (hiss) when the unit is turned up past the 12 o'clock position. However it is a sweet clean reverb tone. I see this as being very useful for country stuff. IMHO.

nice demo

Rob,

I bought mine from 13th Street Guitars in Huntington Beach (they are now a dealer for Shadow amps and pedals). Paid $159.

Paul

This is a video that we did of the Sprang Thang reverb pedal paired with a Victoria Ivy League tweed amp.

The pedal kicks in at about 4:45 of the 10 minute demo.

There is no substitute for hearing the pedal live in person, where you can really hear the sparkle. Hopefully, the demo will give you some sense of it.

Paul

From what I'm hearing at these two videos, with cheap in-ear headphones, I can't say I like the drip this pedal attempts to reproduce. I actually hear no drip whatsoever along with the digital reverb effect, only a discrete ticking delay effect.

https://zakandthekrakens.bandcamp.com/
https://www.dirtyfuse.com

As far as pedals go I'm really digging the Dr Scientist reverb. 2 (out of 9) settings sound great for surf. In a live performance situation you'd be hard pressed to tell I'm not using springs. A very responsive pedal.

Paisley wrote:

Sounds very promising; might be one to keep an eye out for. Yes

There's a lot to be said for a one knob pedal if it's designed well. I'm using an Alien Space'O'Verb which is also a one knob layout. At settings up to around 10-11 o'clock it emulates an onboard spring reverb quite well; if anything, you can retain a good deal of clarity with higher reverb settings that with the real thing. Once you move past that mark, it quite clearly shifts into Tank territory. Obviously there's not much control over the parameters (like none...), but I lucked out with the default setting being remarkably close to how I have my Tank set most of the time anyway (all knobs usually between 6-7) if I set the dial to 3 o'clock. Of course, higher settings give you the drenching you'd expect.
Big Grin
The reverb itself is very good; if I set up my FRV-1 to sound similar, the Alien still seems to be a touch smoother. Also, being able to go from a subtle verb to a full-on Tank assault with just the flick of a knob comes in a lot handier than I realized it would.

Hey Paisley,
Could you post a video of your Alien Space O' verb?
I'd like to see how it sounds with your setting an likings.

Thanks

Page 1 of 1