Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Madeira: Tribal Fires

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

A couple of nice new reviews!

Slams Reviews - rockabilly, psychobilly, surf and once in awhile punk album reviews
http://slamsreviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/madeira-tribal-fires-2012.html

It's been four years since the Madeira have released an album and, boy, the buzz for Tribal Fires (the band's 3rd album) has been huge. Hell, my better half thinks this is one killer album. So is Tribal Fires worthy of all the praise? I would have to say yes. Coming in with 13 tracks that cross all over the surf genre, the Madeira are on top of their game here. Highlights include "The Ritual", "Arcadian Voyage", "Cities Of Gold" and a kool cover of the Atlantics' "Giant". Tribal Fires is an album that raises the bar for other surf bands. Recommended!

Orange County Music Examiner
Instrumental Surf Music May 18, 2012
Schwindy's indie music spotlight: The Madeira and Threesome
Gary Schwind
http://www.examiner.com/review/schwindy-s-indie-music-spotlight-the-madeira-and-threesome

The best way I can think to describe the Madeira is to explain what would be the perfect setting to listen to it. First off, the album is called Tribal Fires, so you already get the idea that this isn't about sunny days at the beach. The ideal setting for this is a secluded beach at night with a bonfire going and tiki torches stuck into the sand. A good example of this is "Tribal Fury," which reminds me quite a bit of Dick Dale's Tribal Thunder album. Maybe an even better example of that secluded beach at night feel is "Jungle Drums". When you listen to this, it's real easy to imagine sitting by a bonfire with a rum drink as you watch the waves roll in under the moon.

If you are a fan of instrumental surf rock, you cannot go wrong with either of these albums. Both provide different spins on a classic genre that doesn't get nearly enough attention.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: May 20, 2012 17:02:20

Here's another really nice review, this by Gravediggers' Local 16 (who do a great podcast!): http://www.gravediggerslocal.com/2012/07/the-madeira-tribal-fires/

The Madeira, TRIBAL FIRES
Unearthed by Strange Jason on July 9th, 2012

If you’re a fan of surf music, you more than likely already own ‘Tribal Fires’ by The Madeira. It’s forgivable if you don’t, but until you do, you’re going to get a stern look from everyone around you. RIGHTFULLY SO, I might add.

The prevalent theme of ‘travel’ among The Madeira’s oeuvre continues in ‘Tribal Fires.’ Placing the four releases together, a narrative forms of a band of men starting off in an unforgiving desert (‘Sandstorm’) that leads them through a desolate civilization of long ago (‘Ruins’) before night falls (‘Carpe Noctem’). Their journey leads them across a great ocean until they arrive in the deepest jungles of a dark nature, fires guiding their way down the African continent.

Similarly, I think that the members of The Madeira aren’t content with letting the grass grow under their feet musically. There is a noticeable difference between ‘Carpe Noctem’ and ‘Tribal Fires,’ a refinement that is near ungodly. The quality of surf music on this album is unreal. I literally had to stop the player after hearing the opening track ‘Tribal Fury’ so I could think about what I heard. I might be prone to hyperbole but this is honest. I had to stop and think about what I just heard, about the movement of fingers and the arrangement of sounds that happened.

As the name of the group is taken from the Madeira islands, a highly sought surfing location, caught in between the influences of Portugal, Spain and North Africa. I asked Ivan about the name and he spoke about how he identified with “this island that was its own thing, with ties to multiple places but separate.” This makes a whole lot of sense, as the music this group of musicians makes is connected to many sources and yet, they are their own self.

No one is slacking off on this album. Everyone is playing at a level that hadn’t been reached before on prior releases, albums that are by no means of the imagination products of half-hearted work. The guys in the band have been at this for a while and their efforts show, especially in ‘The Expedition’ and in the ‘Pre-Ritual’/’Ritual’ songs towards the end of the album.

The song arrangement is pretty smart, producing not a collection of songs but an overall experience that is lacking in a lot of modern ‘albums.’ After getting whalloped by ‘Tribal Fury,’ the following tracks ‘Cities of Gold’ and ‘Twilight’ allow my brain to return from the edge, as they display the grace of Patrick O’Connor and Ivan Pongracic’s respective guitar playing. Todd Fortier is great with the bass, too. It’s never a non-entity and that’s what is great about a lot of surf music bands. Schlubs (like myself) who only know three notes on the instrument, making us overqualified for most punk bands, can’t hold up towards guys like Fortier. Dane Carter, by the way? The drummer? When he’s fast, he’s a 50mm caliber machine gun. When he’s slow, he’s the heartbeat of the surf against your board. Together, these men have made definitely one of the best albums of the year.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

a Great review of a truly breathtaking cd.
Thumbs Up

The one thing that makes me sad about this album is that
Baja Marty never got to hear it.
No

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Great review indeed!

One thing I noticed about masterpieces - they have a tendency to appear as if they were meant to impact you personally. Everybody likes them and appreciates them, their excellence is apparent to all, and at the same time, the experience is totally personal.

I, for example, feel like this record is a part of me. So close. Pre/Ritual after many listens still makes my skin crawl. This is a ballsy production that needs to be recognized. The final track gets me too nostalgic. Oh, I've detailed my experience before... I'm sure others feel the same. This is a mastery of emotions, like the great composers of yester decades.

It's a great achievement, to ignite the imagination of so many individuals, and still deliver a unique experience to each.
It says something about the human intent behind the creation, about it's sincerity and of course all this can't be realized without the professional delivery.

This album is at the top of my music library BTW, all songs rated 5 out of 5.
Must have, go buy it now, if you haven't already.

Thanks, Jeff and Ariel! Jeff, I'm so sorry to hear that Marty never got to hear the CD. If I had thought of it, I would have been happy to send him a copy. Damn..... Sad

Ariel, what can I say... Those are some amazing compliments, you truly flatter us. Thank you very much. It does mean a LOT to me to hear that this album has connected with you at such a deep level. It's incredibly rewarding to hear that. I especially like your comments about the 'sincerity behind the creation'. This may not be such a cool thing in surf music, I don't know, but you are right about that, and I do hope that each release makes an emotional connection with the listeners. I truly love it when I find out it actually did! So, thanks again!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Wow, after that review I feel ashamed that I haven't gotten it yet! I've been woefully behind on several of the newer releases, but I will rectify this post haste Smile

Shawn Martin
http://www.drummerman.net
http://www.youtube.com/GKacedrummerman
http://www.facebook.com/drumuitar

I've talked to a few people that Love the Madeira, and are coming to the
SG101 convention,and don't have the 4th cd,aka 3rd full length."Tribal Fires"
or the ep "Ruins"

Be sure to get either one, or both if you need both
this Sat. Aug. 11th at the Surf Guitar 101 convention.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yes, I admit to not getting Tribal Fires yet, a fact that will be remedied on Friday in San Diego Smile

The Scimitars

Ran and whoever else waited, we'll be extremely happy to reward your Job-like patience Mr. Green by selling you the CD for $10.

So looking forward to seeing you there!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

By pure coincidence I am listening to Tribal Fires for the first time at this very moment, and I am simply blown away by it. Tribal Fires and Brave New Surf both arrived in the mail yesterday, so I'm having an Ivan kind of day today, I guess. This is really amazing music. To those of you who are waiting, it's definitely worth the wait.

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

Ralph, Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thanks very much!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I'm sure Tribal Fire is a great album after hearing some cuts this past weekend. I bought a copy but haven't been able to get it into my CD player as it is currently occupied by a certain Carpe Noctem disc that keeps spinning around and around. I'm really diggin' The Madeira stuff as it brings a lot of different musical elements into the surf guitar vein from progressive to metal.

Schu, do youself a favor. Play Tribal Fires as soon as you can. Maybe right now. It'll grab you from the first measure you hear and won't let go!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Now that I've got the CD's ripped to my iPod I think I will do that Noel. Can't wait for the ride home!

You'll be so glad you did. Just play it LOUD like you're in the front row.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I wish that the Madeira could play at Tiki Oasis,
doing the whole tribal fire cd,
Like the Barbwires doing searider this weekend.

maybe we can put a bug in Ottos ear about it.
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

That CD is truely awesome to experience while cruising down PCH. I heard they performed the whole album in at least one Midwest show (Milwaukee?) and that it was killer.

The_Schu wrote:

That CD is truely awesome to experience while cruising down PCH. I heard they performed the whole album in at least one Midwest show (Milwaukee?) and that it was killer.

They did, and it was.

This one has been in the cd player almost nonstop for several days now.

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

Well, thanks so much, everybody! Glad to see the album continues to connect with more people, that's just wonderful! And thanks for letting us know. BTW, we actually played the album in its entirety on two occasions now: at our CD release show in Indy in March, and then in June in Milwaukee (mostly because both the Exotics and us were each playing two sets, so we made one of the sets the new album). I'm not sure it was the right thing to do with a completely new audience, but it went down really well in Indy at least! Smile (And Jeff, yes, do it!) Thanks again, all!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next