Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Your First Surf Show

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Hmm...well I saw the Insect Surfers around '81 in CT...I.S. were based in DC,I think .Loved them but they were surfy rather than straight up surf.
Mid 80s I relocated to San Diego and was playing in a punk band.I kept seeing Dick Dale billed in northern SD county in 87 88 89 so I went to see what this 'pick melting' KING OF SURF GUITAR was about.I saw the halibuts open ,they were quite good.Dick didnt have any new material then,this was a couple years before Tribal Thunder.He played his hits and other surf songs in long medleys like 10 or 15 minutes each.....I remember him playin 'Percolator' among others.I thought it was kinda cool that he would do other peoples surf hits as well as his own...the crowd ate it up OLD GUYS RULE. I saw the pick 'melting'(grinding actually ,everyone does this)...and was just blown away at the depth of the reverb and the penetrating quality on those amps,Dicks technique and showmanship,and the interplay of the band.
I told myself that when I was done with the punk rock ,I wanted to try surf music.
I saw DD many times in the following years and was really glad of the Pulp Fiction boost to his career,he is a great guitarist and a real character.I know he hit some lean years as an entertainer.

I saw the Raybeats around the same time as the Insect Surfers ,80 or 81....I remember that they were unimpressive...I was expecting energy and they were kinda lame.I wanted to like them but ...no go. Raybeats had some media buzz because of some members were in another popular band.I later got their LP and hoped it was better than the live show....nope.

Surf Coasters 2005. I missed out on a bunch as a result of not turning 21 until 2005.

I wasn't able to see MoAM? or Dick Dale when I wanted to at a younger age.

Technically I've never seen a pure "surf" show. Closest would be the Ventures at the Birchmere in, I think, 1998. Pretty sure Gerry McGee was on lead. Got my Wild Again CD signed by the band afterwards. It was pretty exciting as the Ventures were the first band, instrumental or not, that I ever really liked after hearing my dad playing their records back in the Seventies.

Sean

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012 20:26:38

My first surf show was the Phantom Surfers on their 10 Years of Quality Control tour, so it must have been 1999. The show was at the Buffalo Club in Brisbane. I remember thinking that I wish they played more straight up instrumentals and less novelty vocal songs, it was about a 50/50 mix and they played for less then half an hour. Still had a great time though.

I saw Lawndale live in 1985...

A great band from Paris called Les Suspenders wich we invited to share the evening with us for our first show in Rouen (Fr)in 2009. They came in an old Ford Taunus with blonde bandmaster and blackface bassman wich I've never seen before. The other stuff I didn't know was this little blonde fender box he often kicked during the show. As planned one of us would play on his gear and as I was used to play on mine (crappy funny echo box and a peavey classic 30) I told my friend to take it. I would make an other choice now...That band no longer exists but released a cool 7". One of the best french surf band for sure. Powerful & classy strato sound à la D.Dale. Miss them

Dick Dale & the Del-Tones in 2007 in Melbourne FL ! "Del-Tones": Same Bolle played incredible bass & "Dak" Neilsen (son of Cheap Trick's "Rick") was on drums. 2 hours ! Then he signed my G&L SC-2 & had a story for me about "that guitar & a Leo phone call & subsequent meeting regarding "possible future use in Dick's recordings"..(didn't happen, "Dick said he loved his Gold "Beast-Strat" too much...it was a COMPLETE Thrill for me !! (Keepin' this thread in perspective..."Ventures R not a Surfband !"...I first saw them in 1982 & they had LOTS of "drip" (a separate Kustom 50 w/Reverb for "gliss" & "drip"...footswitchable), played "WDR 64'", "Surfin' & Spyin", "Pipeline" (w/menacing Em chord & "more drip") "Diamond Head", "Journey to the Stars" & "Yozora No Hoshi"....ok....."not a surfband, but a Great dripping surf-repertoire"..) & NO VOCALS !!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012 09:14:25

Man or Astro-man? at the Auburn, Alabama National Guard Armory in 1992/93(can't remember exactly).

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Woodies, Insect Surfers, topped off with The Mermen
July 1994 up at Foothill College put on by KFJC 89.7

Man or Astroman? At the Chukker (Tuscaloosa, AL) 1992

Reverb, man!
[http://roarshark.com]

First concert was The Beach Boys at the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium in 1965.

Sad that there are no Surf bands here that I can find in Snowy Canada near Ottawa Ontario. Sigh
Sooooo the video from the Surf Guitar convention with Billy Blastoff playing "Out of Control" was the first live performance I saw and have been hooked ever since. Cool Cool

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

I couldn't really say I've been to a full on Surf band concert yet but I've seen some close to its: Agent Orange a few times, Supernova were pretty surfy, and recently saw Man or Astroman? a couple weeks back.

DBurch wrote:

I couldn't really say I've been to a full on Surf band concert yet but I've seen some close to its: Agent Orange a few times, Supernova were pretty surfy, and recently saw Man or Astroman? a couple weeks back.

Try to catch The Sharkskins and Great White Caps. They're from here and play regularly in and around Philly.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

We'll be in Lancaster, PA with SCOTS on 8/3

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Last edited: Jul 09, 2013 19:40:28

skeeter wrote:

Where? What time? Who wants to car-pool? I'll drive from my house and my van seats seven.

Last edited: Jul 09, 2013 19:48:54

It's at the Chameleon Club in Lancaster, PA
More Details

Chameleon Club

Noel wrote:

skeeter wrote:

Where? What time? Who wants to car-pool? I'll drive from my house and my van seats seven.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Last edited: Jul 09, 2013 20:18:37

Thanks, Paul.

Noel wrote:

DBurch wrote:

Try to catch The Sharkskins and Great White Caps. They're from here and play regularly in and around Philly.

Will do, thanks!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next