Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Latest surf or instro related record you got?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6118 119 Next

Man, I still have yet to pick up the new Nebulas album.....c'mon payday, get here already!

Jon
Man, I still have yet to pick up the new Nebulas album.....c'mon payday, get here already!

I'm lagging too, I need to ge that one, along with the Madeira!

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

I know I've already mentioned it a few times. But Ran picked up both of those for me, when he went to the NW for the SP shows.
I'm really diggin both of them. Highly cranked up on my truck stereo.
Especailly when I'm at a stop light and some dude is boomin' away his rap music. I crank my stereo till it sounds (volume wise) like I'm at a
show. He probably can't hear me, but my ears are bleeding, ringing, so I'm happy. Very Happy

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I recently picked up Los Derrumbes' CD, lots of GREAT covers! This appears to be a band to keep an eye on...

BillAqua

Jon

I'm lagging too, I need to ge that one, along with the Madeira!

Yeah, The Madeira is on my list too; I have a long, long list.

I like this thread as a long term one, weher we constantly add new stuff.

The new Nebulas - I dig it a lot, in high rotation.
Surf Creature comp - worth it for having the original versions of Everybody Up, Shockwave, Golash and more on cd, so I can listen in the car, and burn a hole in the cd whre "Everybody Up" is.
Digging for Gold comp - like it too, some good stuff there.

(thanks BTD for egging me on to buy them)
Ran

The Scimitars

Ran,
I'm glad you like the 2 comps, a bit. I know that there is alot of filler on there too. And sometimes I remember it being better than it actually is.
I hete to bend your arm/or ear sometimes,but just wanting you to get a
respectable surf collection goin'. And I know it's hard when money is tight. I spend too much on music too.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
Ran,
I'm glad you like the 2 comps, a bit. I know that there is alot of filler on there too. And sometimes I remember it being better than it actually is.
I hete to bend your arm/or ear sometimes,but just wanting you to get a
respectable surf collection goin'. And I know it's hard when money is tight. I spend too much on music too.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Oh, no problem...I think I have a respectable collection, but our definitions are different. I want to only have killer stuff. You want to have eveything Laughing
Ran

The Scimitars

Ha that's a good one, you got me there. But actually I don't really want everything. If I had the choice to buy everything I have now, but be able to hear what it was like beforehand. I'd probably only have bought 60 to 70 % of it. But I know there is alot of good stuff out there, not on our radar.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

kickthe_reverb_
Oh, no problem...I think I have a respectable collection, but our definitions are different. I want to only have killer stuff. You want to have eveything Laughing
Ran

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I've gotten a LOT of stuff over the last month or so. (Some of these were given to me free, so it's not THAT bad.)

Pollo Del Mar: Year Of The Rooster - remarkable!
The Atlantics: The Best Of... - a very nice compilation, cool new rerecordings of some classic tracks
The Halibuts: Live! At Toes - Wow!! Excellent!
The Blue Hawaiians: Live At the Lava Lounge 2 - a bit disappointing
Insect Surfers: Satellite Beach - actually, haven't listened to it yet...
The Super Stocks: Surf Route 101 - cool
Richie Allen: Surfer's Slide - cool
Richie Allen: The Rising Surf - cool, Richie Rules! some cheese, though...
The Nebulas: S/T - excellent! Great songs, production so-so
The Phantom Four: Live At De Diepte - really cool stuff, very exotic
Phantom Frank: Dead Man Surfin' - starts off incredible, but a bit too much lap steel by the end of the CD - that's after just one listen, though...

A real cornucopia of surf! Life's good. It's a good Spring, also... A lot to keep me busy...

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP
The Halibuts: Live! At Toes - Wow!! Excellent!

I totally agree...awesome!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

IvanP
The Blue Hawaiians: Live At the Lava Lounge 2 - a bit disappointing
Insect Surfers: Satellite Beach - actually, haven't listened to it yet...

Ivan

Ivan I agree that the new BH's Live isn't as good as the first. but there is a few great moments on there. Give it a few more listens. and keep an open mind. They aren't going for a 100% trad. surf vibe.

The Insects, I know I always get on a soap box about them.
But please give it a fair chance, I know your probably not the biggest fan of theirs. I just played Ran a few of their Middle Eastern sounding tracks, and he was more inmpressed with that, than how they sound live.
Of course I recomend all 3 cd's of theirs, but for anyone wanting to sample some Insects( mmmm tasty) Try the Satalite Beach best of.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
Ivan I agree that the new BH's Live isn't as good as the first. but there is a few great moments on there. Give it a few more listens. and keep an open mind. They aren't going for a 100% trad. surf vibe.

Jeff, these are just comments after a few preliminary listens - so keep your panties on! And yes, it didn't make as strong of an impression as their first Live At Lava Lounge, which I love. I don't mind them not going for a 100% trad vibe, but it just got boring in points. I'll listen more...

bigtikidude
The Insects, I know I always get on a soap box about them. But please give it a fair chance, I know your probably not the biggest fan of theirs.

Jeff, you're assuming WAAAAYYY too much! I'm DEFINITELY a fan of Insect Surfers! I have all of their CDs. Why would I buy this CD if I wasn't a fan? I just haven't gotten around to checking it out yet, no particular reason, just that I knew more or less what I was getting, and I wanted to hear the other stuff first, since it was either new or live.

In fact, the Cossacks played with the Insects several times in the past (and Doug even drummed for them one show in DC!), and the Madeira is playing a show with the Insects in July. Can't wait! Dave is the best!

You know what happens when you 'ass-u-me'?? Rolling Eyes

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Sorry Ivan, my replies came off wrong.
Look for my PM to you.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
I just played Ran a few of their Middle Eastern sounding tracks, and he was more inmpressed with that, than how they sound live.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

And by that he means - the Insects have a more "fluid" lineup. Sometimes they sound a certain way (similar to what the albums are like), sometimes completely different, all depending on who's playing and the what mood they are in. So - some of the time I love their live shows, and some of the time it's not my style. But the albums - definitely lots of good stuff there. So think I can reccomend Sattelite Beach.

Regarding the Blue Hawaiians - Jeff and I were at that show (that was the first time I saw BH live. I was really impressed by a lot of the stuff (NOT the psychadelic stuff). We also got to listen to a sneak preview of a rough mix that had a lot of ambient sound, and captured a lot of the energy. However, the final release was mixed differently and I agree that some of it is not so interesting.
I would pass on that one.

Ran

The Scimitars

kickthe_reverb_
And by that he means - the Insects have a more "fluid" lineup. Sometimes they sound a certain way (similar to what the albums are like), sometimes completely different, all depending on who's playing and the what mood they are in. So - some of the time I love their live shows, and some of the time it's not my style.

I've only seen them a handful of times (though each show had a different lineup) but there seem to be a lot fewer psychedelic "transitions" between songs when their bassist is filling in on guitar.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Just got a copy of "Raw & Alive" from Jon and the Nightriders, here in Nova Scotia no less! . Very, very cool disc. Now I gotta get all their other ones! I see it's on Gee Dee. Is that label still operating?

Rev Hank

http://www.geocities.com/surfkings

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Good luck getting any response from Gee Dee records.
I've heard from many people, than they can't get ahold of the guy.
But if so, alot of the stuff they have on Gee Dee is Great.
Includiing the Smells like Surf Spirt comp.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

p.s. if you come up with a current link to Gee Dee can you please post it here?

thanks Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I just got 'Walk Don't Run - The Best of The Ventures' yesterday.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6118 119 Next