Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink R.I.P. Baja Marty, Paypal account active, info for Memorial event last page

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 59 10 Next

Brian wrote:

Awesome photo Dave. POTD tomorrow?

Of course! He looks like a movie star!...

R.I.P Surf brother may you surforever in the hearts of all the people that you have touched with your surf stoke.......CHEERS and THANK YOU MARTY

Facebook pages theSupertones
or @ Timothy C Sullivan

Baja Marty, you will be missed and in our hearts always.

RIP Baja Marty...

Your support of Surf Music, as well as your handshake, followed by an extreme bear hug (which many of us got from you as we arrived for a gig)...will be truly missed.

Best wishes to your family and all of your dear friends, during this time of transition.

• Surfbeatnik

Heard this in a text from JEFF B.T.D. as I was landing at JFK from Italy.

MY REVERB BROTHER is GONE!!!

I AM SO SO SAD............

R.I.P. BROTHER MARTY

Your Pal, UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Surf music will never be the same. Sad
May Heaven be filled with Reverb my friend.

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

Sad to hear this news. We had the honor to meet Marty, 4 years ago, on our first trip to the States. I remember we got dinner with him before our first show, together with Jeff and Whorehay. We will mis him for sure this summer.

Strength to all family and friends of Marty.

Grts

Chris

www.LosVenturas.be

This is really crushing news, I am deeply saddened. I met Marty at his 50th Birthday Party where he instantly treated me like an old friend. Years later he was at our first gig and we knew we were on the right track when he gave us the fist pump salute and held up his arm for a reverb injection. We were proud and honored to play at his benefit which also happens to be the last gig we played. I'm gonna miss that guy.

Good night sweet prince and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Terrible news. Our condolences to his family, friends and to you Jeff.

CUTBACK

Never got to meet Marty, but his impact on anyone he did meet was clearly larger than life. May the great memories bring you all a little comfort and a smile.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

I remember the first time I talked to Baja Marty (on the phone) in advance of our first Southern California tour. He came off like a surf-crazed-waa-hooo! And then to meet him in person and find out that he really was in fact a SURF-CRAZED-WAA-HOOOOOOOOO!!! It was so cool to play for him - when you were doing something right, he'd let ya know! As others have said he was always right their ready to lift my Twin Reverb with JBLs. He was always so STOKED. Will be missed.

Thanks for the memories Baja Marty!

Marty was one of the coolest cats I have ever known. Always greeting you with a big smile and a bear hug. His smile and disposition was contagious. He was without a doubt the # 1 fan of surf music and a one of a kind. We will miss our friend Marty. R.I.P.

The reverb warrior and ultra-cool dude. Marty, I am saddened that you had to go. You will be deeply missed...

I'm new to this forum and have never met Marty. I have lost several friends to cancer and can relate to your feelings. My sympathies to the family and friends. To watch someone slowly dwindle away is extremely difficult. Cry

what a character and a sad loss to the surf music community

www.surfintheeye.com

We've lost a prince among men. Truly the best of the best. I can't believe I will never get another bear hug from Marty, or never again see him take in his reverb overdose. That's just too sad a thought to contemplate. Gone far too soon.

Thank you for informing us, Jeff, and I hope you are coping OK with this news. I'm sure it's extremely difficult for you. Please pass on my condolences to his family.

Marty, we will never forget you. You were one of a kind, and we are all so much the richer for having known you, and so much the poorer for having lost you. R.I.P.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Pyronauts wrote:

I remember the first time I talked to Baja Marty (on the phone) in advance of our first Southern California tour. He came off like a surf-crazed-waa-hooo! And then to meet him in person and find out that he really was in fact a SURF-CRAZED-WAA-HOOOOOOOOO!!! It was so cool to play for him - when you were doing something right, he'd let ya know! As others have said he was always right their ready to lift my Twin Reverb with JBLs. He was always so STOKED. Will be missed.

Thanks for the memories Baja Marty!

Well here he is back in 2009 at the Purple Orchid wearing a T-shirt that may look familiar. That's typical Marty... focused completely on the music/band:

This is terrible news and I've felt sick all day at work since I read Jeff's text. Now that I'm home, I am overwhelmed with sadness and remember that Marty is survived by his wife, his son, grandchildren, and I think both his parents are still alive. It affects so many people. I will miss Marty. He called me his "reverb sister." Cry

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Jeff and I are listening to a Surf Coasters CD right now. Baja Marty loved it. I get misty eyed just thinking about him and all the good times over the years. I called my Daughter Jennifer about Marty passing and she was crying still from an earlier text from my wife LouAnn.
He was closer to my age than Jeff's. I'm 62 and Marty was 55, Jeff is 40. They were the Best of friends and went to many shows together.

I always knew when Marty was coming in the house cuz you could smell his aftershave 2 mins before he walked in the door. He will be missed at the Hanson household by all of us. Craig the Keg.

Hodad makin' the scene with a six pack.

I heard about this today from Carlos of the Tequila Worms - so sorry to hear it for so many reasons and for so many people.

Marty was a true character and was a friend to people he just met. I remember driving him back home after one of the shows we were filming for the "Reverb Junkies" documentary, and he was going off on how much he loved surf music, like he did whenever we turned a camera in his direction. He talked me into giving a few bucks for his granddaughter to go to a softball tournament (I think) and he would do anything for anyone of his friends or family. Biggest heart in the world.

Jeff, I know you've got to be hurting, and I'm so sorry for the loss of your best bud.

I'm sorry that I won't have a chance to talk with Marty again, but my loss is minor compared to those of you who have known him for years.

"Reverb is forever and forever in my blood, in my veins and the whole thing. It just gets all over me, y'know, just like milk 'n honey. It just...it just makes me go crazy."
~ Baja Marty

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 59 10 Next