Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Well, I ordered a Mastery bridge...

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Just wondering if anybody had any recent thoughts or bought one of these, hadn't posted in here and would now like to share their thoughts.

I'm probably buying one of these in the next few weeks and would like thoughts.

The Phantomatics on Facebook
The Phantomatics on Instagram
The Phantomatics on Bandcamp

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011 01:18:16

I'm getting my guitar back from the techs in the next few days with my new Mastery bridge, I'll post my thoughts on it soon.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Definitely look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I'm mostly concerned with how much more resonant it'll make my Jazzmaster, I'm not really satisfied with it's resonance or rather its lack thereof.

Danny, and everybody, I highly recommend checking this thread on the OSG forum.
The idea is simple, the two screws touching the E strings can be screwed from the inside, leaving the plate flush. You'll need slightly shorter screws. It's enough, no need to counter-bore or modify an original part, if you don't want to.

I did this a while ago, and it works perfectly.

^^ also, waiting for your imrpessions on the Mastery.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011 04:22:55

The Mastery Bridge is the best thing that ever happened to my Jazzmaster! Laughing

Dead simple to install and set up and makes it just a much better performing instrument. It does add a bit more sustain without messing with the nuance of the Jazzmaster tone. It also lets the strings behind the bridge really ring out, which I like.

I've heard wound G string players complain about the intonation issues, but I've used both wound and unwound Gs (though I'm not much of a wound G guy these days) and the intonation was not an audible problem. The mere fact that it is damn near impossible to knock the strings out of the saddles while playing keeps mine out of its case. Definitely breathed new life into my Jazzmaster.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011 10:35:11

and it sounded great last Fri. Ryan,
love it when you play it or your Strat.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Gee, how come Strats don't need a bunch of tone-enhancing aftermarket add-ons to be performance ready? That's OK Ryan. You make both sound great!

elreydlp wrote:

Gee, how come Strats don't need a bunch of
tone-enhancing aftermarket add-ons to be performance
ready? That's OK Ryan. You make both sound great!

Strats just need the aftermarket add-on of selling it on ebay so you can buy a Jazzmaster. Big Grin

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

And 4 years later...

I'm having a guitar built from scratch, a Mosrite copy. I've read much of this thread, and the intonation issue is a little frightening, but I don't plan to use a wound G, partially because I've heard giant gauge strings aren't good for the thin necks. My question is- With the tuners being 3 on either side of the headstock, instead of the Fender style 6 in a row, will that create an issue, or is the string length based on the saddle to nut measurement?

??? Big Grin

DannySnyder wrote:

I'm getting my guitar back from the techs in the next
few days with my new Mastery bridge, I'll post my
thoughts on it soon.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Oops. I like it! My guitar feels twangier if that makes sense. I noticed right away the notes seemed to resonate through the body more. I was able to lower my action, which gave me more freedom to add a little finesse to my playing. All in all I'm happy with the purchase. BUT! My Meshugga JM doesn't have it and it's still a great guitar. So I still classify this as a luxury item. YMMV

Danny Snyder

_

Anyone checkout out the Mastery website recently? It's truly drool-inducing! So great to see Dave listed as one of their "artists" and have a photo included in their homepage photo gallery!

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

You must be kidding, there are whole issues of magazines devoted to Strat replacement parts and tons of aftermarket parts. I'd be surprised if most Strat owners haven't changed their pickups. The Strat is probably the most heavily modified guitar in the world.
elreydlp wrote:

Gee, how come Strats don't need a bunch of tone-enhancing aftermarket add-ons to be performance ready? That's OK Ryan. You make both sound great!

JONPAUL wrote:

Anyone checkout out the Mastery website recently? It's truly drool-inducing! So great to see Dave listed as one of their "artists" and have a photo included in their homepage photo gallery!

So, are you saying that Dave makes you drool??? Drool
Haha jk

Those bridges are pretty sweet. If I ever throw down the scratch for a JM, I will throw down the extra scratch for a Mastery Bridge. I think it would fit on my Aria 1532T (and would work way better than the crappy bridge on there) but the bridge will cost as much as I paid for the guitar, haha. Seems a waste.

josheboy wrote:

but the bridge will cost as much as I paid for the guitar, haha. Seems a waste.

No way!
Call it preparation for owning a Jazzmaster.

Wink

Last edited: May 17, 2012 21:05:18

I posted somewhere else on this but Ill get it in the offical one too.

I hated it. Made the guitar feel play and sound like a strat to me.

That was just my experience. Don't kill me. I really wanted to love it. It was super well built and designed. It made MY JM different in a bad way to ME. It also changed the tension a bunch.

Those that love em keep on lovin em! More power to ya!

Give me reverb or give me death!
facebook.com/onenightstandards
https://www.youtube.com/scotstandard
scotstandard@yahoo.com

I just put a Mastery bridge into my thin skin Jazzmaster and, so far, I’m really happy. I never had a problem with strings jumping off the saddles. But the bridge was buzzing so much that the guitar became unplayable. High frets on the low E string didn’t play. The buzz was so bad (“how bad was it?”) that I turned to playing my Strat instead. Oh, the humanity! Big Razz

It took me about 2 hours to install the bridge. (I’m still learning how to work on guitars.) I did it without changing the strings. Most of the time was setting the intonation- my first time intonating a guitar. Now I know why people say they like bridges with saddles that can intonate each string, individually.

The guitar still sounds great, just like a Jazzmaster, with the low string thumps. The buzzing is gone. I did not notice any change to the sound relative to the stock bridge, but it’s been months since the stock bridge worked well. For some reason, the guitar now feels more solid. It just works like it should. I’ve read that even the Mastery bridge can develop some buzzes. But as long as the buzzes stay away, I’m happy and it was well worth the expense.

It feels like I got a new guitar and makes me want to play more. Smile

Last edited: May 27, 2012 13:21:20

good for you Jon. Keep in mind that even though these bridges are finely engineered and machined, they're still subject to normal bridge issues like the intonation and bridge height screws vibrating themselves out of position. I and my bandmate have suffered the consequences of that personally. A little loctite or similar helps.

Danny Snyder

_

Thanks, Danny. Yes, I was wondering if adding some low strength Loctite might be a good idea. Purple or blue? I’ve never used the stuff on something fancy like a guitar (just on cars). Maybe I’ll give it a little more playing time. Once I have a better feel that everything is in place, then drop the thread locker on all the little screws. Any other tips with it?

OK, I did some googling and found that it's Blue Loctite, it's used only on the saddle height screws, and the glue goes on the threads. The only tricky part is getting everything adjusted to taste. (That's done already.) Then unscrew the saddle height screws, add the glue, then screw them back into exactly the same place.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next