Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jaguar Tremolo Arm Mod

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Cool tip, (the bend) have to try that.

http://www.myspace.com/theyakuzacowboys

scenenada wrote:

...are we talking about just keeping the arm from swinging? Before you bend try teflon thread tape....works great and lasts a long time. Bending...ouch!

I started utilizing the teflon thread tape to keep the retainer ring on my switch from vibrating off, as well as the retainer bolt on my input jack. It works perfectly.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

So has someone got a pic they can post of how much to bend the end of the arm?

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

tubeswell wrote:

So has someone got a pic they can post of how much to bend the end of the arm?

No pictures but see this post and Danny's right under it:
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/post/235443/

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

You really need just the slightest bend. I just bent mine with a pair of vice grips. I didn't even think that it bent at all, but it was absolutely perfect. If you bend it too much, it may not fit in the collet correctly.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

...not to over analyze, but I'm curious to know if the objective is to get the ever so slight bend in the arm at point A, B, or C in the picture below? (the "roughly inch deep hole" in a 2x4 , would suggest the bend would be an inch up from the short end... sorta near "A" somewhere.)

And do you try to bend it to curve in the exaggerated shape to look like the short side of the arm curves toward the tip or away from it?

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

I bent mine at point C in your diagram. And honestly, no thought went into what direction I made the bend.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: May 06, 2012 10:09:10

I bent mine in the center, so I guess it's around B. Like Ruhar said, it takes very little. Curved away from the tip, to allow to raise the arm a bit, but it's negligible. It's perfect now, stays in place with just enough friction.

Questions about the Katcher Bend in the tremolo arm.

I have two offsets. My JM came with the bend (up near B in illustration) and came with its second collet, which is now loose and only grips the arm when it's pointed down, not up.

My Jag has a nice tight collet, and until the replacement arm arrives I either use the JM's arm or go without. It holds the arm securely, but I hesitate to keep using the bent arm in it if that will loosen the collet so it won't hold the straight arm when it arrives.

So the question is, does bending the arm cause the collet to loosen or does this happen over time anyway?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Noel wrote:

So the question is, does bending the arm cause the collet to loosen or does this happen over time anyway?

From my very limited experience:
After more than a year that I bent the arm the way described above, I have taken a look at the collet and it seems to be as tight as new.
This seems reasonable, since the peak of the bend (the actual pressure point) inside the collet is higher than the teeth, so they receive just very little more pressure than with an original arm, due to the slight angle change. To sum: no harm done.

Last edited: Jun 05, 2012 11:42:04

DreadInBabylon wrote:

Noel wrote:

From my very limited experience:
After more than a year that I bent the arm the way described above, I have taken a look at the collet and it seems to be as tight as new.
This seems reasonable, since the peak of the bend (the actual pressure point) inside the collet is higher than the teeth, so they receive just very little more pressure than with an original arm, due to the slight angle change. To sum: no harm done.

Thanks. I wouldn't want to have caused a problem and have to bend the new one too.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2