Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Hot Rod Hanukkah by Meshuggah Beach Party - The Review

Page 1 of 1

In response to popular demand (well okay, ONE person asked me to review some music and post it here) how could I refuse? So I’ve decided to review his latest record, Hot Rod Hanukkah, by Meshugga Beach Party. You know who you are. Oh, I was NOT asked to review this record.

First I want to disclaim a personal relationship to anyone in MBP, as they are affectionately known to people to who don’t type well enough to keep spelling out the whole name. Am I FaceBook friends with some of them? Yes, though after this who knows? Have I traded many SG101 private messages with them? Maybe. Only Brian knows for sure. Have I received constantly good advice, support and encouragement from certain members of Meshu … MBP? Yes. All this is by way of saying that these people are not only fine musicians at the top of the craft; they are terrific people too, whom I will be honored to call personal friends if they ever let me meet them in person after this.

Oh, the record review? I still call them records because, well, they’re recorded.

All this fun is in the spirit of Hot Rod Hanukkah, from the cover art to the titles of the tunes and songs to the liner notes, even the lyrics of the songs (songs are tunes with lyrics that are sung). All contribute a sense of fun to the listening experience even before a single note is heard.

And such notes! The production by Ferenc Dobronyi and his crew is top notch. Duane Eddy was willing to play on Shleppin’ and Kvetchin’ (Yiddish for Movin’ and Groovin’). Deke Dickerson is given a credit but I don’t know what he did. And I have to mention The Zambonis because where would hockey be without them?

Seriously, I can’t even think about this record without smiling and trying to find someone to dance the Shag with, and isn’t that what good surf music is supposed to do, make you happy and want to dance to the music? Okay, I’m never gonna dance the Stone Pony.

The whole record is enjoyable, without a weak number in the entire 18, which means you really get your money’s worth. There isn’t one I don’t like. MBP have a unique approach to surf music that is instantly recognizable. I can tell immediately when, out of the thousand or more surf tunes on my mp3 player, one of theirs starts to play. Yes, all that in the one year since I joined SG101. Highlights for me are Shleppin’ and Kvetchin’ and the title song, Hot Rod Hanukkah. If I tell you why I like them so much I’ll spoil the enjoyment for you. Suffice it to say, you’ll know why they’re great when you hear them. As always, your highlights may vary.

Buy this record. Enjoy Latkes (the tune, not the potato pancakes but you can enjoy them too if you like) and the liner notes. And let the joyfulness of all their creative and well-played music envelop you like a joyful family gathering. Just relax and have fun. You’ll be glad you did.

So, how'd I do?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012 14:40:57

Good job and thanks! We need more of this, IMHO.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Thanks for the great review Noel. No need to be cagey I think most SG101'ers know who the active MBP'er on the forum is. I certainly had no intention for Noel to review our record when I encouraged him to post a review.

I am very impressed that Noel did post a review, and I hope it serves as an inspiration for a lot more of you to do so. Noel is not an expert musician or even a long time surf nerd, and he did a fine job. I'd love to see this forum's members make a collective goal to review every new surf CD that comes out. I'll probably start a new thread about it, as soon as I write a review too Smile

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

GO GO GOLEM!

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

They were great at the Hermosa Beach Pier after the convention last year, Dick Dale was in attendance. I bought their T Shirt, cause it's one of the great band names of all time.

They played in Hermosa too?

I knew that I had them booked for the Huntington Beach pier,
boy those MBPs really get around.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hi. I just want to say that I've had "Hot Rod Hanukkah" for a few weeks now and I'm still playing it and discovering new things to like about it. I buy a lot of new albums to listen to and to play on my show, and "Hot Rod Hanukkah" is my favorite recent album. I've also been listening to "Death Race" by Shockwave a lot. These are probably my favorite 2 current albums, with "El Cuerno del Chivo," by Pedrito Diablo & Los Cadáveras, running third (love the trumpet in these spaghetti songs). Of course, the new Phantom Four is good and the Madeira's "Tribal Fires" is also amazing, but, for me, these two aren't as new as the above three. Some great releases lately! Congratulations to Meshugga Beach Party. I think that this is your best, yet, and I absolutely love "Meshugga Beach Party" and "Let's Go Shleppin'!"

Just FYI, in case you're thinking about it, my least favorite new CD is "Go West" by Die Kosmonauten. I had high expectations, but I just can't get into it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012 16:03:35

Page 1 of 1