Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Suggestion Box »

Permalink External links

Page 1 of 1

Hi Brian,
I don't know if this was ever asked but is it possible that external link (to youtube, ebay...) open in new tabs/windows instead of replacing the SG101 page you're on ?
Keep up the good work with the site !

Monkey Ju

Pirato Ketchup
Facebook
Bandcamp

I might be able to change that. Have you tried clicking links with your middle mouse button? That's what I do to get links to open in new tabs in Firefox.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

All PC laptops have a zone you can touch that can perform other functions. So go into your touchpad settings and set some zones up to "middle-click" this will open links in a new tab.

And if you have a MacBook, download BetterTouch and then set one of the new gestures to middle-click.

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 07:30:26

Thanks, I'll try both Better touch and Cool Preview.I never knew about the middle button but as I mainly use the touchpad, it doesn't apply.

Monkey Ju

Pirato Ketchup
Facebook
Bandcamp

I did some research about this and most people say it is better to let the user decide how to open the links rather than force them to open in a new tab/window.

Even with a touchpad you should be able to control how you open the links. On mine, for example, I can press both left and right buttons at the same time. I can also right-click and choose new tab from a menu.

That's ok. I now installed Cool preview and it's perfect. Unfortunately, Better touch won't run on my Macbook as it requires Snow Leopard...

Monkey Ju

Pirato Ketchup
Facebook
Bandcamp

clepak wrote:

Hi Brian,
I don't know if this was ever asked but is it possible that external link (to youtube, ebay...) open in new tabs/windows instead of replacing the SG101 page you're on ?
Keep up the good work with the site !

This is the only forum I've ever been to that is set up this way. I'm always closing an external link only to realize that I should have clicked on the "go back one page" button. Argh

Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll - I eat reverb for breakfast!

Fenderus Collecticus
Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

I think it is pretty unprofessional for a website to take away the user's choice on how to open a link.

To open a link in an external tab or window on Firefox or Chrome, click the link with the middle mouse button. Or right-click and choose "new tab".

Brian wrote:

I think it is pretty unprofessional for a website to take away the user's choice on how to open a link.

I agree with this.

Page 1 of 1