Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Yamaha SGV 800 made in Taiwan?

Page 1 of 1

Hello everyone!

need your advise on the following axe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-umDszgGQio&feature=player_embedded

I've found this one in mint condition for sale for $600, but it's
announced as "made in taiwan", which sounds strange, taking in consideration the price, as I know MIJ SGV800s should cost about $900.
Does anybody know if they're really produced in Taiwan or it's some
kind of the clone? Thanks in advance

Hi freddie, welcome to SG101.
I'm sure some one on the forum will be able to answer your questions better than myself, but i had a quick google and it does appear the SGV-800 is made in Taiwan as well as Japan. The video states it is a PSW which will be the variant of model. The Japanese always build some variants at a price points - less luxurious SGV-800's in this case type PSW.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012 18:20:56

My SGV 300 was made in Taiwan so it's probably legit. Plays and sounds great so don't let that dissuade you.

Hot Summer Comes Again!
Let's Go Beach! Let's Go Beach!

Its not a Clone, i think the Taiwan ones were meant to be distributed to countries other than Japan. While they keep the nicer made in japan ones :argh:. That's a really nice color though u should definitely go for it. i haven't seen one of those in that color pop up in a while.

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

I want to say they're all made in Taiwan, perhaps with the exception of those uber-pricey "Blue Jeans" models (can't confirm, as I've never saw one in person). I have a 700 that is a Japanese market only model, and it is also made in Taiwan. Yes, it's probably real, snatch that up! I have never seen an 800 in a white finish, LOVE it!

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

What a strange young man playing the demo of that guitar, alternately very serious and kinda unhinged! I like how he says at one point "Do you vant to hear some Russian surf??" in English, and then plays some pretty cool licks!

A beautiful guitar, though, for sure! Good luck!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Yeah, I almost tuned out hearing those opening blues riffs, but I got a kick out of him too and found him to be an extremely competent player- the "Russian surf" was not very surfy, but still really interesting!

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

yep.
my blue sparkle 800 was made in Taiwan. Totally beautiful, I think as well made as any Japanese guitar I've owned.
You'll love it.

Thanks, guys< I'm in contact with seller and he's ready to lower price a bit, so I hope I'll get it soon. Regarding person on video - as far I know that guys is a guitar player in progressive rock band, but he's more famous by his guitar reviews Smile
Strangely enough people in Russia in common just unable to realize what a nice guitar it's, as I can estimate 99.9% percent guitar players play heavy metal. Comments in Russian to the video are just ridiculous, the only excuse could be that SGV looks similar to USSR main brand - Ural guitars, which were just horrible, but most of people just had to play them as there were no choice. Image attached, it really looks like design was taken from Yamahaimage

Impressingly tight jeans. MIT?

Wahtever that guy's saying probably isn't as hilarious as what my mind is filling in...

IvanP wrote:

What a strange young man playing the demo of that guitar, alternately very serious and kinda unhinged! I like how he says at one point "Do you vant to hear some Russian surf??" in English, and then plays some pretty cool licks!

A beautiful guitar, though, for sure! Good luck!

Tabachnikov’s manner seems typically intense for a young Russian dude. He also seems to really get the SGV’s feel and sound - its sproingy string tension that says ‘wank all across my neck’ and the midrangey bark reminisncent of a Strat but utterly different. It’s really a beast of another color.

Squink Out!

As a general matter, Yamaha opened up a factory in Taiwan in 1970 and produced guitars until 2008, when they moved production to China. Taiwanese Yamaha models were not "farmed out" to an secondary manufacturer like so so many other companies have done when moving operations to China for example. Yamaha built the plant to their specifications and trained staff to meet their high production standards. Taiwanese models shouldn't be dismissed as inferior as Yamaha is quite serious about quality control. I myself own a Yamaha SA-2100 made in Taiwan and it is excellent. When compared to the same Japanese made model, I couldn't tell any difference in quality or finish. I don't want to sound like a Yamaha commercial, but they really do put out excellent products for the money.

Taiwanese bike parts are the best, and this axe reminds me of a MIT Shimano derailleur mechanism. Lean and athletic, precisely cast and honed to exact tolerances. Nothing second-line about anything the Taiwanese do.

Squink Out!

Page 1 of 1