Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Cocktail Preachers: "Intoxicating"

Page 1 of 1

It seems that the Cockail Preachers from Chicago don't get a lot of attention on this forum, which is a real shame, as i think they're a phenomenal trad-surf band, definitely one of the very best in the midwest, if not even all of the US (yes, I really mean that!). They played the SG101 convention (and a few other shows around then, including the HB pier) last year, but unfortunately had to do that tour without their second guitarist Bruce, who in many ways is their secret weapon - an excellent second lead guitarist, rhythm guitarist, and, most importantly, a truly sublime steel guitarist! Every member of the Preachers is undeniably a highly talented musician, with Steve especially having developed into a truly outstanding surf lead guitarist over the past 12 years since I first saw them play, but that steel guitar definitely gives the band another dimension that sets them apart from all the other surf bands out there. So, it's a real shame that SoCal didn't get to see the Preachers in their full glory. The band definitely did a very good job, I can testify to that as I saw them play twice then, but seeing them as a four-piece takes their sound to a whole other level.

After a lengthy gap (six years?) since their previous CD, they finally released a new one last year, a 9-song, 30-minute mini-album "Intoxicating." I've been listening to it a lot for the past two weeks, since our show together in Indy, and thought I'd do a review of it, as this CD deeply deserves to be heard by more people - I think it's just great! It's a DIY production by Phil Tiki, the band's bass player, and the sounds are warm, full, clean and simply impressive. A bit unusually for a surf recording, drums and bass are highly present in the mix, which works 100% as the band's fairly new drummer Ben (a medical doctor in his real life!) demonstrates a complete mastery of surf drumming, with a great degree of sensitivity to what each song needs, and Phil on bass is simply masterful, a hugely talented surf musician. The band shows a great deal of diversity on the nine songs, but first and foremost they really are a trad surf band, with a highly melodic and clean approach (and on the lighter side with guitar reverb). Though they are very capable of ripping it up, as evident in their live shows, this CD is mostly about mid-tempo songs, with a few that are a bit on the faster and a few on the slower side. The CD should appeal not only to surf but also exotica fans, as they definitely have that vibe, similar maybe in some ways to the Blue Hawaiians.

Some highlights, starting with the originals: the opening track "Jimmy's New Board" is a beautiful, happy, highly melodic AND rhythmic trad surf tune that's just infectious. The same description could apply to "Kika Melokia," a faster track with a gorgeous Polynesian-sounding melody and a highly effective steel guitar solo, with a half-tempo coda that works perfectly and is so cool, so creative. "Kilameawea" is a track that I suspect the Blue Hawaiians would kill for! Steel-guitar-led, with a bit of a mysterious-sounding verse, and a happy-sounding bridge, it's another phenomenal melody that the exotica fans would flip over. "Slingshot to Durango" is the band's attempt at a spaghetti-western type track, and they really nail the dusty western vibe, with a melancholy sounding verse building into an epic track, with some traces of the Shadows in the melody. The experimental track on this CD is "From Spain... To Russia", and as the title implies, this 5-minute minor-key, somewhat dark-sounding track starts off all full of latin rhythms, and then three-minutes in, it morphs into a Russian feel that keeps speeding up until the breakdown, building it back up again to the climax at the end of the song. Highly unique, and a very cool way to explore some similar tonalities in Russian and Spanish music, which are definitely there. And the track really works!

There are three covers on the album, too: "Gutterball" is by the Goldtones, one of the very few '60s surf bands that featured a steel guitar on the lead. This track was originally on the iconic Diggin' Out comp, and the boys do a fantastic job with it - this is clearly completely up their alley. The same could be said for the achingly gorgeous, and I really mean GORGEOUS, version of Santo & Johnny's "Dreams" - wow! If this doesn't give you goose-bumps, well, better check your pulse cause you're probably dead. The hidden bonus track is "Bullwinkle, Part II", and they totally knock it out of the ballpark with the heavy, dark bass, AND an amazing steel guitar solo in the middle, really making the song their own.

All in all, this is definitely the best thing the Cocktail Preachers have ever done, and it's 100% deserving of more attention and a wider audience. It was released in time for the band's California tour last August, and it seems like it's been unfairly ignored since then. I can pretty much guarantee that both surf AND exotica fans will LOVE IT! So, give it a shot, I can't imagine anybody regretting it. Instead, I'll expect you'll be thanking me for turning you on to one of the best surf CDs of 2011!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012 12:56:09

I picked this up at the HB Pier in August (thanks so much Phil!) but I didn't start listening to it until recently (my bad -- I suspect I got surfed out for a while). I agree with Ivan, this band is a hidden gem and I've been fortunate to see them a few times over the years. My favorite original on this album is currently From Spain to Russia but I'm sure this might change as I get to know this album more. I absolutely love the cover of the obscure Gutterball, and this is the band to do it with the steel guitar. And holy crap does Phil absolutely nail the bass tone and vibe from the original Bullwinkle, Pt. 2. The whole band shines on that one, giving this obscure classic a new life.

I look forward to many more spins!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I've liked this band since I first heard of them, and saw them in the early 2000s and they came here on tour then.

thanks for the review Ivan,
you should post that on Tiki Central too, in the Tiki Music area:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewforum.php?forum=11&18057

Buy this and all of their cds!
here: http://www.cocktailpreachers.com/discography.htm

Jeff(btd)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks for the lengthy and glowing review Ivan really glad you like what we are doing. Its obviously a bit different than what a lot of surf bands are doing. And your correct too, the Blue Hawaiians were definetly an influence on us especially when we started getting into surf in the mid-90's. I still dig their music its unfortunate they aren't still putting out music. Also, thanks for the support Jeff & Brian I know you've guys have been long time fans.

Slingshot to Durango has been one of my favorite instros for the last year. This is a great CD.

The Exotics 1994-Current
The Chickenshack - www.wmse.org
www.thedoghouseflowers.com
www.uptownsavages.com

I just bought it! Love the whole "read about it then paypal it" dynamic. thanks Ivan.

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

Page 1 of 1