Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink J. Mascis Squire pups

Page 1 of 1

Who is gonna be changing the pickups in their J. Mascis Squire, and to what? I think I'm gonna try a Seymour Duncan SJM-1n and a SJM-1b.

Lose the 9s Delbert

Last edited: Mar 04, 2012 18:03:05

If a tone cap swap doesn't satisfy or few hours of trial & error with amp settings don't nail it then perhaps a pickup swap may be in order but at this point I'm not all that displeased but I'll do whatever it takes to nail those Bob Bogle j/m tones. So probably 62 AVRI's in the distant future??

I think I'd give em a chance before discussing swapping them?

METEOR IV on reverbnation

It's a Squier...
I think there is an unwritten law that when you buy one you have to start swappin out PU's, tuners, bridges...

"Maybe there aren't any surf bands; there's only surf music?" Tuck

Well, you may as well spend the extra $$$ and get a USA made Fender then I say.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

I'd love a USA made Fender but until then I change out the usual suspects of pots, caps and pickups. I've got a small stash of components so its usually just my time that is lost. And if I don't like the results I can sell off what I have bought. Having said that the Squires I've checked out are suprisingly good and seem to be getting better.

On my mij jaguar -> Jason Lollar pu's
On my mij mustang -> Seymour Duncan pu's
.....but I'll never swap my JMJM squier pu's! Of course not the traditionnal jazzmaster tone but they sound so freaky good that I'm gonna s__t in my pants ............too late.............done Sad

www.facebook.com/hello.tiki.1
www.facebook.com/SonicNightmare

Last edited: Mar 05, 2012 08:56:48

Well, I dig the pickups on this guitar. Could maybe just use a bit of adjustment in terms of height of pole pieces. One things that's bugging me is the tuning stability. I am sensing that this guitar does not stay in tune well. Maybe it's just that the strings are new still and have no broken in?

Matt, I think the culprit may be the Tuno-O-Matic bridge. You could try replacing it with a roller saddles equipped bridge. I heard Guitarfetish has one that fits - the cheaper one, not the Wilkinson - but I can't guarantee it. You can also try lubricating the saddles of the TOM with graphite (i.e. pencil lead) and see if it solves the problem.

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Yeah... I am thinking I will go the graphite method before I spend any more money... I'm broke. haha I also think I should put better strings on, the strings that came with it are just OK.

Page 1 of 1