Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Tank reverb vs boss frv-1 vs the audience

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

I definitely agree that the average audience members don't care one way or the other, but I can't count the amount of times I've gotten compliments from people at our shows.
Everything from "I like that little box" or "I like that crashing, thunder sound you get when you kick that thing."

While they may not know what it is they're definitely into it and I feel it's integral to my sound, not to mention all the hooping and hollering whenever I do reverb crashes.

The Phantomatics on Facebook
The Phantomatics on Instagram
The Phantomatics on Bandcamp

Why is there so much dislike for Wipeout?

My guess is because when you're in a surf band, people don't yell "Play Freebird!", they yell "Play Wipeout!"

...And probably request Freebird, anyways.

as for Wipeout,
like I said at the SG101 convention, when people wanted 1 more song from the Tequila Worms.
I only want to hear 2 people play it.
Travis from the Tequila Worms, or Dusty from Slacktone.
Jeff Utterback is no slouch on it either, but a bit more subdued, Im sure he would agree.

as for the Reverb, I notice a difference.
But then again, I am far from the average joe when it comes to surf.

I'd like for Norm or someone else to do a A/B test for me.
I think I could pass no prob.
the Tank has a deep lushness that the pedal can't capture.

But the average joe wouldn't notice, let alone even know what a tank is or sounds like.

Mike Palm of Agent Orange, aka Mikey Deora of the Deoars said one time they were playing(opening for Agent Orange)(wink wink) and the sound guy put a mic in front of the tank, thinking it was a little amp.
Mike said its a reverb tank, no speaker, the guy said a reverb what?
too funny.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Mar 03, 2012 19:31:40

I just noticed today, while tracking some stuff for a a blues CD, that I can really hear the difference between the tank and the on board reverb on my VR or a 'verb pedal in the mix. Really noticeable difference when "chunking" a chord (muting the tail of the chord and letting 'verb tail out) Don't know if an audience can really tell the difference, but I have had non player audience members comment that my "guitar sounded really good".

FYI, tanks are making a bit of a comeback in other genres. i.e.blues artist Kid Ramos uses one as does Johnny Main of the 44's.

vintagesurfdude wrote:

FYI, tanks are making a bit of a comeback in other
genres. i.e.blues artist Kid Ramos uses one as does
Johnny Main of the 44's.

Hell why not? You can spend a lot as much on a custom boutique pedal as you can a tank. And I'd say the difference between boutiques and off the rack pedals are just as subtle.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

vintagesurfdude wrote:

FYI, tanks are making a bit of a comeback in other
genres. i.e.blues artist Kid Ramos uses one as does
Johnny Main of the 44's.

I saw Jack White had a tank proudly displayed on top of his amp on Saturday Night Live last night. He played an Bluezy/crunchy acoustic guitar through it.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

and he can afford anything

i always have the ffel, that the audience likes that "complicated" look of my silverface/tank-tower. it does not look like the average marshallstack at all. eddie

www.myspace.com/captaintwangandhisrhythmcat

ive been using my reverb tank when i play lead guitar on the worship team at church, it really plays well with picking dynamics, when i pluck hard it makes the note really pop out of the mix, and when im soft it makes everything sound really singy and smooth

http://dinosaurghost.bandcamp.com/
http://sixtycyclehum.podbean.com

duncanjames wrote:

My guess is because when you're in a surf band, people don't yell "Play Freebird!", they yell "Play Wipeout!"

...And probably request Freebird, anyways.

Actually both (from my vantage point in the audience, watching the audience), but even the audience knows it's a bit of a joke to request Freebird from anybody these days. Has anyone tried crossing them to produce Birdwipe? Another song bands love requests for: Brown Eyed Girl. Let's not cross that one with Wipeout.

Last edited: Mar 05, 2012 15:43:27

Stokemon wrote:

We would put a placard in front of the tip jar that said "Wipe Out $5". We still ended up playing it, but the pain was offset by some lettuce.

"Wipeout done only with vocals."

Nanana nana nana nana nana nana nana na!
(repeat)
(repeat higher)
etc.

Na! Nanana na! Nanana naaaaaaaa! Na!

Put your best vocalists on it and try harmonizing and some falsetto in the solo.

Last edited: Mar 05, 2012 15:52:01

Birdwipe

I like the sound of that!!!

Brown eyed wipeout ...... just seems so wrong.....

Are you guys trying to make me feel better about having to take time out to recover from dual shoulder surgeries and therefore missing my opportunities this year to play out? Thanks.

Around here the busiest bands are classic rock cover bands followed by those acoustic guitar duos and then country cover bands.

I haven't seen anyone around here but me use any form of outboard reverb. Sadly, I'm not good enough to start a trend, let alone a surf band. This year.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Ha, here surf is a bit of a minor genre so the audiences always request Misirlou, because that's the only surf song they know. And if you play anything in the "exotic scale", they say "hey, you're playing Misirlou wrong!" If not for Pulp Fiction, the general public would be pretty ignorant of the whole surf genre altogether. It's not really part of our musical history.

As for Jack White, I understand he has a habit of displaying all kinds of unusual gear on top of his amp more for looks than for tone. I expect he'd put a dog turd up there if he thought it made him look cool and edgy Whatever

Back on topic, my view of the whole FRV-1 vs tank is that at the volume most bands play live, the ears tend shut down and it's not easy to pick up the difference Wink

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

vintagesurfdude wrote:

Brown eyed wipeout ...... just seems so wrong.....

Yes, although that wasn't the combination I was worried about.

LeeVanCleef wrote:

Back on topic, my view of the whole FRV-1 vs tank is that at the volume most bands play live, the ears tend shut down and it's not easy to pick up the difference Wink

I hate it when a band plays too loud to hear. You can ruin anything that way. If it isn't already ruined. Apologies for helping wander things off topic.

I am always a little nervous about having an opinion on whether I personally can hear the difference between things like pedals, tanks, on board, etc. I suspect what I notice is mainly the overall difference between more and less skilled surf guitarists. They may be hearing the difference in the hardware and picking the best suited to the task and that might be part of the overall effect I am hearing. But maybe I'm hearing a whole host of other things they do better.

use 7 tanks on 7 amps with 7 pedals & see what they say

Tuck wrote:

LeeVanCleef wrote:

I hate it when a band plays too loud to hear. You can ruin anything that way. If it isn't already ruined. Apologies for helping wander things off topic.

I am always a little nervous about having an opinion on whether I personally can hear the difference between things like pedals, tanks, on board, etc. I suspect what I notice is mainly the overall difference between more and less skilled surf guitarists. They may be hearing the difference in the hardware and picking the best suited to the task and that might be part of the overall effect I am hearing. But maybe I'm hearing a whole host of other things they do better.

Like if songs with similar songs titles sound the same,
or songs written by Hilder(sp?) are played the same by different bands?

just razzin' ya Tuck,
you know I luv ya right?
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next