Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Pollo Del Mar Hype Machine

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next

It was a privilege to see them the few times I did. Lets hope something really, Really Cool comes up. Thanks for the music and all you have done!

Sad to hear PDM is on indefinite hiatus. Giddy about the prospects for the future. Good hearing that you aren't hanging it up, Ferenc!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

An end of an era, for sure. PDM were one of the first modern surf bands I remember being on my radar when I started getting into this scene back in '94, and since then they've always been there, releasing amazing, courageous, creative music. I agree with the other people above about Golden State, a masterpiece and definitely their peak. A truly groundbreaking band that I feel highly fortunate to have seen and shared stages with on many on occasion. The only solace in this news is that Ferenc will continue creating surf music with not just one, but TWO other phenomenal bands! I am extremely excited about the next Frankie album coming so soon, and can only imagine the possibilities for the T-Men with Ferenc in the band. And hopefully we'll see PDM make their triumphant return in due time....

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I think we should get to work on the Pollo Del Mar tribute album... everybody pick your song!

I'm calling "Flash of Green"

Pyronauts wrote:

I think we should get to work on the Pollo Del Mar
tribute album... everybody pick your song!

I'm calling "Flash of Green"

Eric Estrada for me. Ferenc knows of my love for that song. Flash of Green is number two for me.

Should this thread be moved to the Gen. Discussion area for more to see it now?

Wow!!!
Truly a blow to the surf scene. but as others stated, good to hear you are going forward Ferenc.
I look forward to working with Frankie and T-men in the future,
and possibly having Pollo do a reunion show at sometime in the future,
(5-10 years) at a SG101 convention.

I call for a Best of Cd.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012 19:36:05

I can only add more of the same... It's not good news about PDM at all, but it certainly IS good news about Ferenc's continued involvement with The Tomorrowmen, and of COURSE the news about new Frankie & The Poolboys material!

Ferenc giveth and taketh away it seems.

Boo! Fire all the responsible adults & replace them with irresponsible punks!

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

Great run Ferenc! We had a lot of great shows together in some pretty dang cool places! My best to the boys and keep up the great work!

THe NEpTuNeS

Hi Ferenc, OK, I won't lie, I'm disappointed to see this, but that's only because I loved you guys so damn much. But I understand. I've been there since the first CD. And I agree with all that has been said above. So, I'm glad that you will be carrying on with 2 great bands, and am looking forward to much more wonderful music from you all.
Surf on!
Randy Stewart

I can only echo what everyone else has said here - sad to see PDM calling it a day, but it's great that Ferenc will continue with two of the top bands in the surf scene today. And who knows what'll happen in the future - who would of thought in recent years that we'd see Man Or Astroman, Satan's Pilgrims and the Space Cossacks live again? Perhaps with Frankie & The T-Men, there'll be room in the live set for a PDM song or two.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Sad to hear such a great band calling it a day! PDM has been, for nearly two decades, a standard by which other bands could compare themselves. Your dedication to innovation and musical excellence puts PDM among the very best of the very best instro/surf bands of all time. I wish Ferenc and the other PDM members all the best the future may hold, and hope your music will continue to shine forth for many years to come.

Bruce Duncan
Longboard Ranch

I will miss this Bay Area mainstay of Surf. I followed them among their earliest of fans since the mid90s and have enjoyed their shows, albums and gig hostings the whole time. So many great memories. Bon Voyage! [Pollo does Star Trek]

bIG wAvE Dave

Quite possibly one of the coolest legacies in LIVE 3rd Wave Surf Rock!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pMcYXm4jUs-_BTYeVm8YACw

DP, Jake, Bob, Freddie, Danny, Morphball, Ryan, Mary, Brian, Hank, Brainpop (who are you, have we met?), Fady, Ivan, Paulie, Jeff, Jamie, Whorehay, Tom, Randy (East coast Fan #1), Sean, Bruce, Dave- thanks for the kind words and memories, it was fun to meet, gig, perform, hang out with you all over the years.

Onslow_Beach wrote:

Good hearing that you aren't hanging it up, Ferenc!

Hopefully you won't be seeing any less of me, as I hope to keep my toe in the surf pool for a long time. It is my passion.

Ruhar wrote:

seeing you guys live when Surf Report came up to San
Francisco to play at the Hotel Utah.

And The Hotel Utah Surf Sundays will continue! If you are an out of town band, please contact me about a show.

CousinMary wrote:

Pollo del Mar's friendship and support for KFJC has
always been outstanding.

Indeed, KFJC helped us in so many ways. I don't expect my relationship with the station to change at all, I remain a huge supporter of "The Wave of the West"

IvanP wrote:

I remember being on my radar when I
started getting into this scene back in '94

Just a little memory of my own- I'll never forget the first time I heard the Space Cossacks and nearly crapped in my pants, and thought, "Man, I really have to practice more." This happened so many other times- (Slacktone, Bernard Yin, Shigeo Naka, when Ryan emerged in Secret Samurai, and that Danny guy-- to name just a few moments.) You guys certainly pushed me- THANKS!!!

JakeDobner wrote:

Eric Estrada for me.

There's one in every crowd. TOTH to Jake!

bigtikidude wrote:

and possibly having Pollo do a reunion show at sometime
in the future, (5-10 years) at a SG101 convention.

I would have figured that you already have bands booked for those shows, Jeff! Smile

I call for a Best of Cd.

Our plan is/was to record the 6 new songs we had finished, and put together a CD with those tracks, the hard to find tracks that were on all of those Comps and Tributes we did, and a bunch of unreleased stuff, mostly cover songs. It would make an action packed 18 song CD. But that probably won't happen until 2013. 2012 is going to be a very busy year!

Anyways, onward!!! Dusty is coming up this week to lay down basics for 14 new Frankie & The Pool Boys songs (no Pollo covers on this one). This CD will be different in that the core band will play on all the tracks with no "Special" guests, and Danny and Tony have contributed songs.

Thanks!!!
ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012 21:48:51

PolloGuitar wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

Eric Estrada for me.

It's like Sheryl Crow is always saying "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad".

I'm focusing on the good parts...

PolloGuitar wrote:

Hopefully you won't be seeing any less of me, as I
hope to keep my toe in the surf pool for a long time.
It is my passion.

And The Hotel Utah Surf Sundays will continue!

Don

Ferenc, Thanks for the kind words! It's funny. I remember a quick FB conversation we had last fall, and from what I remember, it seemed like PDM was going into the studio in December. I guess those were the songs you mentioned above. I also said you should have a CD with all the covers and unreleased stuff, etc. So I'll be looking for the CD you mentioned, plus anything esle you are involved in! Thanks!!! Randy

bIG_wAvE_Dave wrote:

Quite possibly one of the coolest legacies in LIVE 3rd
Wave Surf Rock!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pMcYXm4jUs-_BTYeVm8YACw

I saw a few of those Nor. Cal. shows from 2002 on.
and almost all of the So. Cal. from 1997 on.
one of my faves being
"7/2/2003- Baja Cantina Playa Del Rey (with lots of silicone)
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

This is the worst hype machine I've ever seen.

Hot Summer Comes Again!
Let's Go Beach! Let's Go Beach!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next