Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
248 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
248 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
168 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Reigning Monarchs - Phil Dirt Reviews

Page 1 of 1

Hey all, Maybe this old news to some, but I just discovered these guys and I'm really impressed. One of the guitarists is comedian Greg Behrendt whom i was familiar with but had no idea he was in a surf band. This isn't trad surf but it's a great hybrid with excellent production values and inventive arrangements. Check'em out yourselves, the album is available for free download on their website:

http://thereigningmonarchs.com/

You can read Phil Dirt's review here: http://thereigningmonarchs.com/news/album-review-by-phil-dirt

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Never heard 'a 'em but this is good!

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

i bet he got rich off his "He's just not that into you" book. Cool stuff.

THe NEpTuNeS

Tom, I discovered this band by hearing Greg's interview on the fantastic podcast Marc Maron's WTF . Greg goes into much detail on what happened to his life as a result of that totally unexpected success and how he walked away from it to maintain his personal integrity. Think about it, leaving a lucrative TV show to go back to small comedy clubs and playing surf music - pretty impressive. It's a fascinating interview about achieving success in the wrong direction.

I recommend this podcast to everyone, it's rapidly becoming one of iTunes most popular and for good reason. Marc Maron is a great interviewer and a neurotic genius. (If there is such a thing, he's it) Greg's interview is the latest episode:
http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/wtf-with-marc-maron-podcast/id329875043

But regardless of whether you listen to this, get Reigning Monarch's free download, it's really good.

Danny Snyder

_

Cool stuff Danny, Marcs podcast is very cool, did you listen to Robin Williams interview? I will check it out. I remember thinking Greg was kind of a yahoo back when the book broke, this changes everything.

THe NEpTuNeS

I saw him on L.A. Ink in it's first season, he was speaking a bit about his love of music while getting his favorite Gretsch tattooed on him. He actually seemed like a pretty cool guy, I'll have to check this out.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

This album kicks ass! Thanks Danny!

Danny do you know, or can you ask them.
if they used to be called "Engine room"

there was a band that called that, that sounded kinda like them,
that played at Tiki Oasis a few years ago,
Not sure, but interesting instro.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

surfneptune
Cool stuff Danny, Marcs podcast is very cool, did you listen to Robin Williams interview? I will check it out. I remember thinking Greg was kind of a yahoo back when the book broke, this changes everything.

Sure did Tom, I've listened to them all since the beginning. I've been an MM fan since Morning Sedition. That Robin Williams interview was amazing, Robin seemed to really let down his guard and show his true personality, a side we never get to see.

Danny Snyder

_

The Reigning Monarchs are still at it, in fact they're hard at it getting ready to record a new album right now. Greg posted this little essay on why and how music is so important to him on his website, I thought it worth posting:

Sometimes when I post here I try to pretend that I'm some guy that works for the band and posts pertinent and timely information about the band for fans of the band. I said band 3 times in that last sentence. It's kind of dumb really. I'm sure that any of the 4-6 people who read the posts here know that it is I, Greg Behrendt, the co-founder of this co-op of surf rock, punk skanking, fools that posts here, so from here on out I will post as me and no other way. I think it's far more interesting to read a personal message rather than some anonymous dude who is pretending the band is bigger than it is.

I love this band. *If you know me you know that nothing brings me more happiness creatively than being a Reigning Monarch. I'm a 22 year veteran of the standup stage, a New York Times best selling author, a talk show host, a podcaster and a wannabe clothing designer. I've been on Letterman, Conan, The Tonight Show, Oprah, and the View. I've had four standup specials, written three books and yet nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing makes me more real to myself than playing to 10 people at the Doll Hut in Anaheim. 10 is an over estimation it may have been 4. I enjoy it so much I get excited (and dressed up) for band practice. I love the guys that I make music with. My co conspirator in this venture, Mike Eisenstein, is simply one of the best guitarists and producers in Los Angeles. Not to mention an all around awesome fucking dude that has essentially made my dream of being in a band come true. He was just a friend who had agreed to give me guitar lessons when I showed him a piece of music I wanted to record to use as walk on music in the standup clubs. That song became Fanfare For A Well Dressed Man. He asked me if I had any other songs and soon we had a record. We've played with a lot of amazing people since that time but our current line up is Mike and I, Dave Hawkins who plays some of the most thunderous bass around and the great Blair Sinta who has been our drummer since the beginning. However due to the nature of show business, family and the rest there are guys like Ryan MacMillan who plays drums with us almost as much as Blair. How is he not also a Monarch? And J Angelo Warner who created the surfer lion guy and all of our merch... is he not also a Monarch? Or my sister who has photographed every live moment we've had. How about Kelly Dixon who along with my wife Amiira and I helped create uniforms for the gang?

The beauty of a band is that it's a collective. It's about the sum of parts. My whole career has been "Look at me, look at me!" And if I'm being honest I kinda hate it. All I've ever wanted to be since I got my first Aerosmith record was the guitarist in a band. Not the lead singer but rather his buddy. Don't get me wrong I like attention but I'm happy to share it or be near it. I like my identity in the band and I like what being in the band says about me. But more than all of that. I love making music. I don't know that there is another experirnce other than love (and some cakes) that beats making music with other people... and then sharing it. It's a fucking gift. One I don't take lightly.
_
_Recently at the Bring The Rock (awesome review) and Starfish Circus shows we've had fortune to play with vocalists and it's been a revelation. There has been some serious discussion amongst the band about adding a singer to our live shows... and who knows where else.

In May we will begin recording a new album. It's all I can think about. I plan to post here about experience of being in this band. Hopefully you will swing by and read my posts from time to time but at the very least grab a record and come see a show.

*My podcast Walking The Room runs a close second for many of the same reasons listed above.

Danny Snyder

_

This is great stuff. Thanks for tipping me off to them.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Thanks Danny,
I was one of the 10 at one of those Doll Hut shows.
Can you ask him to please post show info on SG101?
thanks

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Insects played a gig with them at an Irish Pub in the bowels of downtown LA in 2010. Greg is a truly nice, personable guy with a positive attitude and virtually no big head that typically goes along with the kind of fame he developed.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Page 1 of 1