Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Johnny Marr Jaguar

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

I just found this. I wasn't aware of it. It might interest the spaghetti music enthusiasts here... Shame about the 90s electro backing track.

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Shame indeed. What a horrible trend that was, taking any classic (they did that to everything!) and remixing it with those ooh-aah's and "mystical" Enigma-like voices and that deep-sexy-beat. Such an unimaginative, easy way out.

LeeVanCleef wrote:

I have always associated Marr's sound with
semi-hollowbodies, although to be honest I'm not really
familiar with his post-Smiths career... But
seeing/hearing him play Smiths riffs on his new sig Jag
made me consider my modest CIJ with a whole different
eye (or rather, ear). Still, as desirable as I find the
sig model, I guess I would miss the strangle switch,
which is something I use a lot for my surf tone -- I
guess I must be the only Jag owner to love this switch
Big Grin

As for my fav Smiths song, it's Meat is Murder. The
simple, haunting riff and Morrissey's melancholic and
uncharacteristically sober vocals give it a compelling
quality. First time I heard it I must have listened to
it 20 times in a row (yes, that's 2 hours Uh-Oh )

The Marr model has TWO strangle switches - relocated to the rhythm control plate.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

DeadRanchHands wrote:

The Marr model has TWO strangle switches - relocated to the rhythm control plate.

Mmmm, I had missed that. You shouldn't have told me this, now I'll have to keep away from guitar stores until this Jag is sold out Big Grin

Seriously though, this Marr sig sounds like THE ultimate Jag to me. The 50th anniversary model looks really silly in comparison.

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012 09:00:53

OK, I’ll add my voice to the chorus of Johnny Marr lovers. Maybe the biggest compliment that I can give his playing is that, when you hear it, you do not think immediately that it is a guitar sound. Rather, you just think that it’s musical and great. Smile

I’ll see how well I can avoid buying his much improved Jag.

So, Sam Ash says "Coming Soon!" and Musicians Friend has a ship date of 3/28, yet two came and went on Ebay 2 weeks ago....
So are they shipping yet, possibly in extremely small numbers? I'm wondering who's going to be "first on the block" here (I wish it was me)!

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

I think there was a small first batch of white ones; I heard somewhere that the first 350 came with an autograph on this included booklet where Marr explains his jag. I might have one in April; I just offloaded a bunch of stuff and I'm waiting for the Paypal funds to become available, but will probably pull the trigger immediately afterward. MF claims 4/4 for the Metallic KO which is what I will probably get (it's now 3/28 for the next batch of white), so I'll definitely report back when I hear anything. Pretty stoked!

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Screw the white finish! Boring compared to the "Orange" or whatever Fender is referring to it as.

Hahaha... I still love clean, modest & classic white, but a popping new color that looks like Orange Crush is just tempting as hell... hopefully it'll be worth the extra wait!

Mike

Nah, I like white too don't get me wrong.. but that Orange color is gorgeous and very unique. Gotta do it man!

Damn, I put a strict moratorium on spending any more "new" cash on gear and this guitar has me taking inventory of all my crap even beyond music stuff to find the dough! The added wait for the Metallic Killer Orange is just making it worse. Yard sale time!

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

I had an old Strat in metallic orange, I never saw another one like it. I don't know if it was a custom paint job or what but the finish was checking by 1973.

Cool custom color! Don't know if they ever did one. Would have to have it in hand and pull it apart. Is that an Acoustic 150 in the background?

If I was going to buy a Jag this would be the one!

METEOR IV on reverbnation

I don't recall the number of the Acoustic, it wasn't mine nor was the Rickenbacker Transonic cab underneath it. Never even thought of checking for dates on the Strat, had no idea it would ever become valuable. After seeing Ritchie Blackmore, I bought that guitar for $175 from Hogan's House of Music in Lawndale.

I want the Johnny Marr Jag. Is there any way fender can remove that last 0 from the price tag? lol

Stormtiger wrote:

I had an old Strat in metallic orange, I never saw
another one like it. I don't know if it was a custom
paint job or what but the finish was checking by 1973.

Really nice... it almost looks like Firemist Gold Metallic which was offered in the 60's, unless you definitely remember it being darker?

Mike

That Firemist is nice but mine was more orange, probably a custom color. The guitar had been also customized with 2 mini toggle switches for getting neck/bridge or all 3 pickups together.

Stormtiger wrote:

I don't recall the number of the Acoustic, it wasn't
mine nor was the Rickenbacker Transonic cab underneath
it. Never even thought of checking for dates on the
Strat, had no idea it would ever become valuable. After
seeing Ritchie Blackmore, I bought that guitar for $175
from Hogan's House of Music in Lawndale.

What year did you buy it? I used to hang out at Hogan's when I was in High School. They sold a Super Reverb for me, before I knew any better. Last time in the shop they had moved across the street from the original location.

Saw the new Guitarist magazine (from UK) - the cover story is on Johnny Marr's Jag. I browsed through it, and there are multiple features on the guitar, and a lengthy interview (or several) with Marr. It looked really interesting, but $15 - ouch. Not quite worth it, for me, anyway. Still, some of you might find it worthwhile. If you do, I'd love to see some scans, if you'd be so kind! Would love to read all those interviews and the articles on this guitar.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next