Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink LOST HEROES FROM THE DAWN OF SURF!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 519 20 Next

It's not as obscure as most of what's been mentioned so far, but IMO The Nobles' "Earthquake" is every bit as worthy. Found on their full-length Come Surf With Me, as well as Surf Creature volume 3:

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

The Impact V's "Riptide," found on Surfin' in the Midwest volume 2:

The quality control in this thread is through the roof! Also, add these to the "should be on YouTube but aren't" category: The Vy-Dells' "Unknown," The Clashmen's "Boondocker" and The Spiedels' "Move It"/"Pipeline."

Here's one more - The Phantoms" "XL-3" ... which for som reason it won't let me attach.

I learn something here every day. I'm lovin' this thread. More please!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

That Creations tune is killer! I was also going to post The Phantoms"XL-3"but I too couldn't get it to attach. That is a monster of a surf record. Too bad The Phantoms didn't do more.

Here's The Blazers from Orange County. These guys were regulars at local Surf Stomps and there's a brief but very cool clip of them playing in the surf film BLUE SURFARI. Unfortunately they only cut two 45's and disappeared. It's hard to believe sometimes that you're listening to teenagers on this stuff. Great stuff!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Last edited: Feb 09, 2012 20:27:10

Hah! I was gonna post some Blazers, that "Sound of Mecca" one in particular, great stuff... the first wave was the BOMB!

Mike

Here's a few, starting off with a video I posted a while ago in the video section, a band called The Zircons (song starts at about 1:05, before that the host of this public access music show gives a very brief history of the band). *Edit as requested by BTD.
1st video: The Zircons- Surfing in the sunset
2nd video: The Newport Nomads- Mallard
3rd video: The Newport Nomads- Harem Bells
4th video: Adrian and the Sunsets- Breakthrough

-Damon.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012 00:30:57

shivers13 wrote:

For anyone playing catch up, do yourself a favor and
get the Surf Creature, Diggin' Out, and Get a
Board
compilations for lots of great obscure 60's
surf. The Sundazed Lost Legends of Surf Guitar
series is also great!

It's interesting how volume one of the Surf Creature and Surfer's Mood LPs are far and away the hardest to find and most expensive, even though in each case they're the least best in the series. (Though obviously still killer.)

Real shame the Vy-Dells' "Unknown" is not on YouTube, such a great track!

Here are some more. The Bel-Aires were of course the final version of the Belairs, but without either Eddie Bertrand nor Paul Johnson. Instead they had Art Fisher on lead guitar, who would soon move on to the Challengers. I think they released one single only.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012 07:27:10

And more....

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ivan, I'll have to confess that before I started collecting comps, I thought the Cossacks wrote "Third Star to the Left", you guys freaking OWNED that song.

Mike

I found a copy of the Vy-dels Unknown on Youtube.

Peace and Stay Free!

Great stuff all! Damn, I was going to post that Vestells version of The Wedge but you beat me to it! They give DD a run for his money on that one!

Here's one of my all time favorite from the dawn of Surf. Moon Dawg by The Gamblers. Pre-surf or surf, you decide but this was released in 1960 and covered by tons of surf bands. Let's just call it Surf's Missing Link.

Check out the heavy hitters that played on this disc!

Derry Weaver - Lead Guitar
James Burton - Gtr
Bruce Johnston - Piano
Sandy Nelson - Drums A-Side
Mel Taylor - Drums B-Side
Prod - Nick Venet
Eng.- Richard Podolor

wow! how politcally incorrect right? i guess this should be played along with Church Key and Squad Car...

Peace and Stay Free!

Another proto-surf tune (predating surf, but clearly anticipating it), often covered by modern surf bands: Stampede by the Scarlets. Too cool.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012 14:00:30

I'm guessing what you guys are doing on this thread is as close as we're (the ones who don't own these) gonna get to a comp of this music, short of spending all our free time searching yard sales, flea markets, antique shops and used record stores. I've already got Toes on the Nose, Birth of Surf Vols. 1 & 2, The Ritchie Allen collections and a lot more thanks to being pointed at them by you all. So, thanks to everyone putting them up and please keep them coming.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

man i remember when they played this on the radio! released in 1961 but i think its pre-surf surf?? kinda has a Third Man feel to it

Peace and Stay Free!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012 14:15:44

Another band that kicked things off early on was the Rhythm Rockers from Santa Ana, CA. There's two other bands with this name but these teens from SoCal started in 1960 and developed a huge following locally by putting on their own teen stomps. They took over as the house band at The Rendezvous when Dick Dale left in '62. Many of the bands in Bob Dalley's SURFIN' GUITARS book mention these guys as a big inspiration. They never toured outside of CA and only released one album, SOUL SURFIN' and a couple of singles. Here they are doing Duane Eddy's tune Movin' n Groovin...

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 519 20 Next