Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Driving me nuts - MR. MOTO Intro Chords..?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

TNX for getting the info DP Very Happy Now I can play it right!

My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins

Hey Paul,
thanks for the reply, and good to see you here,
hope you hang around, as we all loved your input on the old
Cowabunga group.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

BTD - Paul is not a member, at least to my knowledge. Glad to see that he did read the thread and replied through dp.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Oh duh.... I missed that.
but I did send him a e-mail with the post that I did.
But he did read what people had posted so he does know how to get here.
Hope he joins.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
Hope he joins.

If he does, I will change his forum rank to "Founding Father". Wink

to keep the thread going, Ive seen probably 15 bands or so play mr. moto, and I think I saw more of them screw up the outro-riff than the intro chords. so what's your take. I do

e -------------------------------------------------------  
b-----'4'(b\)---3---1-----------------------------------   
g------------------------2----0--------------------------  
d----------------------------------3----0-------------0---  (Dm x 3)  
A----------------------------------------------3-----------  
E----------------------------------------------------------

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Okay - this Forum is officially OFF THE HOOK! I never imagined when I posted that question that I'd get a response from Paul Johnson who wrote and played the original version (BTW Paul - I certainly hope you got paid for the Shameless rip off of your song by Golden Earring in the 1980's -aka Twilight Zone or Bullet Hits the Bone or whatever they called it...)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I feel I am in quite the choice company here and am honored to be part of this forum.

Best,

JC
aka LaPhillyboy

WR
to keep the thread going, Ive seen probably 15 bands or so play mr. moto, and I think I saw more of them screw up the outro-riff than the intro chords. so what's your take. I do

e -------------------------------------------------------  
b-----'4'(b\)---3---1-----------------------------------   
g------------------------2----0--------------------------  
d----------------------------------3----0-------------0---  (Dm x 3)  
A----------------------------------------------3-----------  
E----------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what that '4'(b) means. I slide into the D (3'rd fret on the B string) from the C below it. Other than that, I play it as you noted.

After we discuss that, we can talk about the bridge, meaning the part played over the C and F chords. I've seen Paul play it countless times up close. His fingering is different than mine. I play it at the 9th fret, starting with a C note at the 10th fret on the D string. Paul plays it below that position. Actually, a lot of our fingering is different, I put more slides in my version.

e-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
b---------------------------------------10-----------------------------10----------10-----------10------------10--  
g------------------9-------9---10--12------12--10--9-----------9--10----------10-----------10-----------10-------  
d--10--9*-10--12------10-------------------------------10--12--------------10----------10----------10------------  
a-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   
E-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Sometimes I pause instead of playing this B note.

JeffLeites
I don't know what that '4'(b) means. I slide into the D (3'rd fret on the B string) from the C below it.

it's an upbend that goes back down. so it sounds more or less d#-d ... give it a try!

bridge I play in the 5th position, starting at g fifth fret. but it's a bit too complciated to tab right now, not enough time Crying

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Laphillyboy
...Okay - this Forum is officially OFF THE HOOK! I never imagined when I posted that question that I'd get a response from Paul Johnson who wrote and played the original version ...I feel I am in quite the choice company here and am honored to be part of this forum.

laphilly;

I hear ya'!...I was totally stoked that Mr Johnson was cool and decided to reply. On Sunday morning, I read the email, and tried out the chords...and I was so stoked I finally knew how to play that intro!

thanks for starting this thread,
-dp

Paul has always been very cool in emails and tolerates my fan-boy questions. Thanks for asking him that, DP. That should go in the FAQ...

Once I emailed Dick Dale and Paul Johnson and asked them about flatwounds vs roundwounds back in the first wave, and I got answers from them both on the same day....10 minutes apart! Cool Cool Cool I was one happy guy that day.

As Jasper on the Simpsons said: "Moonpies... what a time to be alive..."

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007 16:29:18

That's true. Since I live in Southern Calaifornia, I've met Paul many times, he's a real nice guy, as is his Duo-Tones partner Gil Orr. Actually, I haven't met a musician yet that was stuck up. Very Happy

Brian
Paul has always been very cool in emails and tolerates my fan-boy questions. Thanks for asking him that, DP. That should go in the FAQ...

Once I emailed Dick Dale and Paul Johnson and asked them about flatwounds vs roundwounds back in the first wave, and I got answers from them both on the same day....10 minutes apart! Cool Cool Cool I was one happy guy that day.

As Jasper on the Simpons said: "Moonpies... what a time to be alive..."

so this is off subject, but what was their replies?

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

JoshHeartless
so this is off subject, but what was their replies?

I'll find the post I made about it on the Yahoo Group and post it in another thread. The short answer: Paul confirmed flats were more common in the 60's and he used them. Dick Dale tried them, but hated them, and he used rounds.

By a round about way I have added 'Mr Moto' to my song list, I'd like to thank the person who started this thread and especially Paul Johnson for giving up the info about the opening chords.

This led me to a Youtube version of Paul & Gill playing 'Mr Moto' acoustically which is a terrific version and clearly shows the finger movements and a great full sound for the tune, I also then went onto another version which was a ten minute jam session at Huntington Beach Pier with about 7 or 8 people joining in with Paul & Gill.

Thanks! Very Happy

I just heard Mr. Moto on one of those morning shows. I think it was the Today Show on NBC. They were doing some retro-fashion show and played it as they went to commercial.

this thread shows just how awesome sg101 can be!

i still remember how stoked i was last year when mr. johnson emailed and i could finally play those elusive mr. moto chords...how cool!

you play a Bb chord but insted of playing F on the high string you play and E and then play an A chord followed by Dm for the rest of the intro

Johnny, I believe the guy who wrote the song knows what he was saying, here's his reply brought forward for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Paul Johnson's reply below:

"I got a kick out of reading your discussion! But don’t feel bad; fact is, nobody ever seems to get those opening chords right – even the Ventures and the Lively Ones versions deviate from the way we did it... A couple of you guys came close, but I didn’t see the “exact” right way among your attempts.

Here’s how I did it on the Belairs record, and I still do it the exact same way to this day. My notation here is a variation on Jeff’s format; numbers refer to which fret is fingered; “x” means don’t play this string...

string.......1st chord.........2nd chord........3rd chord

e-----------open-------------open------------open
b-------------3-----------------3----------------2
g-------------3-----------------2----------------2
d-------------3-----------------2----------------2
a-----------open-------------open------------open
e-------------x-----------------x----------------x

Some of your examples would have been closer except they left the A string out of the equation and only used the top 4 strings. Listen to the original Belairs version and you will hear that string come in and subtly add its character to the first chord; it’s not as evident in the other chords, as it is not restrummed; but it IS still vibrating from the initial strums!

I “discovered” this “progression” by accident when I was first learning to play:

I was going for a basic “A” major chord, three finger style, but I accidentally missed the target (fret #2) by one fret; this resulted in combining what amounts to a Bb triad (I had fingered F/Bb/D on the 3rd fret) with the open A & E strings. (Not sure just what to call this chord...)

Then I tried to correct this by sliding the three fingers down to the 2nd fret where they belonged; but as often happens with untrained fingers, I only succeeded with two out of three fingers. The one on the b string was still hung up on the 3rd fret. This resulted in an “almost” A chord (actually, it’s an A with a suspended 4th).

Then I tried one more time and finally got it right. The last chord is a simple A major.

I decided in the process that this “progression” sounded cool, so I kept diddling with it until it got enlisted as intro to Mr. Moto!

There you have it. Now you can go on to discussing something else...

BTW – You are all invited to come to my site and view the free videostream there of the Duo-tones playing a bunch of tunes including Mr. Moto. My fingers are visible doing this progression during the ending, though not from the best angle to see the exact fretting. However, there are a lot of good close up shots of our hands on many of the tunes throughout the video.

Go to pjmoto(dot)com, click on the “PR DEPT” link, then go to the “booking info/PR kit” page, where you’ll find the videostream partway down the right side of the page. Feel free to provide a link to this stream on the chat site if you like..."

Thanx!
- pj

dp
Paul Johnson's reply:

(Not sure just what to call this chord...)
- pj

There's a full Bb Major triad in there, and an A natural note, as well.
That's a Bb Major Seventh chord.
The E natural note is the flat fifth or sharp fourth of Bb.

So the chord (x03330) is an inverted BbMaj.7addSharp11.

The inversion is an irregular one, using the major seventh as the bass; very tense... but the chord "pushes"(or "pulls") nicely into D minor.

Cheese is great.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next