Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Suggestion Box »

Permalink Social media sharing buttons

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I'm thinking about adding buttons to more easily allow sharing of news items and forum topics on social services like Twitter, Google+, and Facebook. Any thoughts?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

resistance is futile

"Maybe there aren't any surf bands; there's only surf music?" Tuck

I would never say I am resisting or taking a stand, but I don't see enough value for me in social networking. I'm just not a person who cares what most others are up to, nor do I like to overly broadcast what I am up to.

Our news stories should definitely have Twitter/Google+/Facebook. I'm not sure about Forum topics. Any examples of this integration on other forums? Or anybody you know sharing forum topics? And would it be forum topics, or could you do specific posts?

I'm with Jake. I am not really into the social network stuff. However, most people are all about it.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

This is a delicate ecosystem you have. You really want to open it up to all of the pollution out there?

It's already open, anything typed here can show up in a google search minutes later.

What is the perceived benefit of doing this? Broader exposure? 200 posts a week wondering why a Dimebag and Marshall Stack doesn't sound right doing "Pipeline"? Brian, you are THE site guy and it's your call. But my $.02 is that this is a niche site for a community of players and aficionados and I would just as soon keep it as is. 'Course, I'm just an old freakin' reactionary anyway Argh

You're not drunk if you can put your socks on while standing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011 00:44:49

Hell, do it. Why not? I can manually paste a URL into Facebook or Twitter and have the same effect. Thing is, I have not had the desire.

SSIV

All it allows is for the members here to share an item on a social network in essentially one click, instead of doing the "copy/paste URL" thing. Whether it "opens the flood gates" or not remains to be seen (I kind of doubt it). I just figure why not make it easier to share something? E.g. John Blair's 50 years of surf music article should be seen by more people. And if it brings a few more people over here then that's great.

Have you seen the surf music groups on Facebook? Ugh.

Jake, I don't visit too many other forums anymore, but I've seen a few that let you share topics (threads), not individual posts. We'd probably do the same.

Someone looking for surf info can google up whatever they need from here, as it should be. Do you want to become Trekkies in a larger pool? This stuff doesn't need to go on Facebook for your weird aunt to see. I think it would only hurt the face of the culture being that this may be a little bit to much of a microscope of said culture. If someone really needs to share they still can. Why open a floodgate. Who is going to find you that can't now. There are more unregistered lurkers than members I'm sure. People who need or want this info are not starving for it on Facebook. Myspace on the other hand has a a music player that relates to your task at hand. Myspace is way more relevant to this. The general publics idea of this is and should be more Dick Dale, Kelly Slater, or Gidget. Why let it change to public facebook arguments over wether the Ventures are surf or not. It wouldn't be good for the rest of the country/world or the still remaining allure of the culture.

Why do you think it will open a flood gate? Someone still has to click on the social media sharing button to actually share it. As we have seen, our site really doesn't have that many active members, and the ones that we do have don't seem to be very pro-social media anyway. Smile

I already regularly tweet about the news stories on Twitter.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011 12:41:48

I say "Yes!" I am not a Twitter-er, but I do Facebook rather consistently...

You could always do it for a limited time, say a month or so, see if it has any positive or negative effect & then take them away if you want. . .

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

I don't get the point of 'negative effects'?! JFDI Wink I'll take care of the trolls coming in...cheers!

The Hicadoolas

JFDI is brilliant. I've been reading "Getting Things Done" (GTD) but JFDI is much more to the point.

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

The social media sharing buttons are now live on our news stories.

I've set the Facebook like button to capture the icon for the category of each news story. These category icons were graciously created by norcalhodad for the 1.0 version of the site. If anyone would like to make (or find) a new set of these icons, I would be very grateful. You can see all the category icons on our news category page. Facebook recommends they be at least 50x50 pixels.

Edit: oh, I forgot Tom Duncan (tdsurf) did the cool Featured Video icon. I like that one.

I also need to add descriptions for each news story for use on Facebook.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I will definitely keep my eye out for hundreds of clueless new users joining up because of these buttons. Smile

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011 19:52:19

The buttons are now on the podcast pages.

And you can now share the photo of the day.

I'm undecided on sharing forum topics.

Has the site been ruined yet?

Has anyone clicked on like or one of the other buttons and turned a friend on to the site?

Who did your icons? I made a few but never got them all done. These look pretty darn good to me!

SSIV

Goto Page: 1 2 Next