Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Baja Marty: Thoughts and Comments

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Tikitena wrote:

When I posted the event for Marty on Facebook, I
received a post from an individual, explaining how he
met Marty. At that point, I thought of a good idea.

I'm encouraging people to write! Please reply with
stories about Marty, how you met Marty, and/or any
sentiments you would like to convey to Marty. My idea
is to copy and paste responses and create some sort of
card or poster that could be presented along with the
proceeds.

Thanks!

I'm REALLY happy to be that individual btw Kristena!

Here's my FB post that started this!?!

Thanks Kristena!! I'll be playing with Paul Johnson and HighTide!! I met Marty in (I think) 89 when The Sliders played the second weekend the Surf Museum opened in HB. Dick played the opening... Been friends ever since!

Jeff Utterback

Wow, Jeff, you and Marty are old,
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I love Marty! Last time I saw him we revelled in how long ago we met. His memory is crazy good. He remembered The Sliders doing a comando show when The Longboard opened on Main St. We just set up and started playing. Split before the cops came... Really hope he kicks this shit! Told Pamita tonight and she sends her love and positive thoughts...

Jeff Utterback

I can't think of anyone that I would rather have watching my band than Baja Marty. I recall a show years ago at the HB Pier, where we played on the bill with some seriously Trad outfits. Marty was in reverb heaven right in front of the stage, as all his faves were played. After our first song, I could see his mind working overtime: "WTF is this stuff? This isn't surf music---but wait, there IS reverb in it!" By the end of our set, I could sense that he was willing to give us the benefit of the doubt, and I got a bear hug as I walked offstage, and a helping hand moving the gear thereafter.

It's KILLING me that I will have to miss the show (back east that week meeting future in-laws). The amps and tanks will be there, however, hopefully broadcasting healing waves of reverb.

Matt Q

Matt,
Thanks again for allowing us
To use your gear, to help the
Show run smoothly, and sound amazing.
You are very generous.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I first met Marty at a pier show, unless it was at Suzy's, or maybe The Purple Orchid, hell I don't remember where but for sure his presence seemed to give any surf show instant surf-cred. Saw him earlier this year and he had on a "Reverb Tank Service" shirt that was about as perfect as it gets for him. Get well my friend so we can witness those fist-pumps next to the stage again.

Unfortunately I have to miss the benefit. I have to be on the other side of the country then but I'll send out as much positive energy and love as I can and I'll crank-up The Eliminators that day for Marty.

Terry

I smelled Baja Marty before I met him. He was coming over to our house to meet up with Jeff and go to a Surf Band show. He smells better than a $20 whore on Sat nite. He bathes in Cologne before going out. I always kid him about it. I could smell him coming up the driveway. That was 15 years ago.

I been to a lot of shows at the Pier in HB and Suzy's. There's Baja Marty, up front Pumping his fist and getting an injection of REVERB in his arm. The Guy is a JUNKY for the stuff. A Junky I tell ya. He's one of Jeff's closest friends and they have made many trips to see bands, even to the Bay Area and Brookdale Lodge to see the Surf Coasters and the Phil Dirt retirement show.

I love the guy as much as all of you do and I'm pulling for him to get well too.

Craig the Keg.

Hodad makin' the scene with a six pack.

When The Surge! played the convention in '09 Marty was like a man possessed. Every time he saw me he'd pick his hands up and shout, "The Suuuuuuuuurge!" It was a huge kick. Really hoping for the best for the world's biggest fan.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Dear Marty,
I have to admit, it took a while to get used to the bear hugs, especially coming from somebody actually built like a bear! Once I understood how much love was intended, I could only give in, no matter how sweaty.
I don't remember the first time I met you; I have been going to SoCal for shows for 16 years now, and you are always a presence. As others have mentioned, it's so great to have a fan rooting for you. It all starts with one guy, one enthusiastic nut to lead the rest, to let them know that something is happening, and they might be missing it. Of course, I thank you for your trips to NorCal as well, and showing the shoe-gazers up here that "fan" is short for "fanatic"!
If you're in the hospital, or recovering at home, have a Reverb tank put at your bedside, turn it on and set the knobs, (and this is a prescription) to 10-10-10. Lay a hand on the tank and feel reverberations of all the surf bands in the world sending you good vibrations.
Your friend,
Ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011 23:02:05

Marty, I don't remember specifically meeting you, it seems to me that you've always been there, as natural a feature as the surf at Huntington Beach. I appreciate your relentless enthusiasm and support through the years. I hope that we as a community are sending you as good vibrations as you've been sending us all along.
Mel

Craigthekeg wrote:

I smelled Baja Marty before I met him. He was coming
over to our house to meet up with Jeff and go to a Surf
Band show. He smells better than a $20 whore on Sat
nite. He bathes in Cologne before going out. I always
kid him about it. I could smell him coming up the
driveway. That was 15 years ago.

I been to a lot of shows at the Pier in HB and Suzy's.
There's Baja Marty, up front Pumping his fist and
getting an injection of REVERB in his arm. The Guy is a
JUNKY for the stuff. A Junky I tell ya. He's one of
Jeff's closest friends and they have made many trips to
see bands, even to the Bay Area and Brookdale Lodge to
see the Surf Coasters and the Phil Dirt retirement
show.

I love the guy as much as all of you do and I'm pulling
for him to get well too.

Craig the Keg.

Lol! Oh yeah Craig. That was when we piled 10 guys in my motorhome and headed to Phil Dirt's retirement party. Members from Detonators, the Chum guys, Dave Arnson from The Insects, Jeff, and of course, "Baja Marty". I still laugh my ass off thinkin' about Baja Marty on that trip. Adrien told him a joke, and I lie not, Marty kept laughing for like 2 hours straight. He was laughing so hard, I couldn't stop laughing at him laughing. That was also the trip where Jeff drove my mo-ho almost the entire trip, while the rest of us drank beer. Everytime one of us got up to go take a leak in the bathroom, Jeff would slam on the brakes and we would get thrown against the wall and pee all over ourselves, and "Baja Marty" would just sit there and laugh his ass off! Good times!

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011 23:37:48

Ha!!!

Billy yer actually mixing 2 separate Nor. Cal. Moho trips,
but yeah, good times indeed.
We need to go up again, when Marty gets well.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

Ha!!!

Billy yer actually mixing 2 separate Nor. Cal. Moho
trips,
but yeah, good times indeed.
We need to go up again, when Marty gets well.

Ha ha! Your right! We took the mo-ho, ("Hell On Wheels") up to north cal twice! Must of had a good time if I don't remember it!

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

I Hang out a lot with Marty (when he is well).
and we have had some long trips to Nor. Cal.
and other assorted local trips.
We usually meet up early before a show,and grab a bite to eat,
and have a beer or 4( in Marty's case)to get ready for the show,
and unwind from the work week and catch up on surf news etc...

In the last 10 plus years, there has been some very funny things that have happened. That I would like to recall here.

One time that I recall the most.
Dano from the Nebulas was going to be in So. Cal. on Business I assume.
And was going to be stopping off at Go-boy records to do some shopping,
and dropping of some Demo cdrs of the upcoming 1st Nebulas cd. He asked me if I would like 1, and told me what time he would be there.
So I told Marty, and arranged to pick him up after work.
We had both had long, hard days at work, but wanted to go to Meet Dano, and get the cdr. As we knew it was gonna be a Killer cd, form the song we had heard on a compilation.
Well in True Marty form, he had had a few 24 oz. beers after work,
and was a bit "tipsy" to say the least. On the way to Go-boy records,
he said " Hey Man, I can't wait anymore, I gotta let these beers out"
Shock (ha ha ha) "pull over here, so I can go" So I pulled over by a Big Business that had a Ivy covered wall, and Business sign, on the Grass on the side of the Building, for him to hide behind. He assumed they were closed, and no one would be coming up this little driveway off the Main st. So he's standing there takin' care of business, and sure enough. A car turns off the main st. and drives up the driveway to the gate with a key card entrance. As they drive by my truck they notice Marty standing over on the other side of the Sign. And they slow down to get a better look, to try to figure out what he was doing. I was howling with laughter telling Marty that he was giving a show for someone. He was laughing so hard he peed on his shoe. Shock
Finally 2 min. later he came back over. I said "Wow,that was a hell of a Piss". He said "yeah yeah let's go". But, I had to sit there for a few minutes to regain my composure after laughing so hard, to be able to drive the rest of the way to Go-boy records.
We met Dano, talked for awhile, got the Nebulas cdr, and looked at the Surf section for other new releases. Chatted with Alan the owner for a bit, then decided to get going. As I put the Cd in the player for the trip back home. The Super drippy/spacey intro sounds started coming up,
I cranked the stereo all the way up. Marty Freaked out!!!
He was going wild like a rabid dog. He even was rubbing his arms like a junky going thru withdrawals,and even tried to bite the (oh shit handle)
above the passenger side door window. He had me rolling again, I had to pull over, I was laughing so hard I was afraid I was gonna crash.
When I dropped him off at home, he said have a good night, sleep well.
I said I am gonna sleep like a baby, I am beat tired after laughing so much. I felt like I had run a marathon.

to be continued.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011 16:39:29

bigtikidude wrote:

he said " Hey Man, I can't wait anymore, I gotta let
these beers out"

Hahahaha. I'm putting that one into my drunken repertoire!

Awesome story, Jeff Smile

As for Marty, I don't personally know him, but I've seen him at so many surf shows, I feel like I do. My thoughts and prayers are with him, and I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

I will definitely be there on the 8th to support him Cool

Classic story, Jeff! Your ribs must've ached for weeks from all the laughing!

Bob

Bob

Thanks Guys,
Yes, Marty is a true friend, almost like another brother,
and good laugh Therapy.
I too truly hope that this benefit helps him out,
and that he recovers fully, quickly.

here is the poster for the Benefit show,
Idea by Marty, sketched by me, sent via email to Jonpaul,
and Image made by Jonpaul Balak, Thanks Brutha!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

is that the running order on the poster?

btw I think of Marty as my West Coast "reverb brother"

we are both nutzoid for that dripping wet surf sound and beat

it was pretty cool when we both showed up at SUZY's wearing the same ELIMINATORS T-shirt, and got down on our knees before a couple of the bands, and were head-bangin' and getting reverb injections in our arms from various guitarists -- a classic moment

Unsteady Freddie

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

I don't remember the first time I met Marty but I remember the hugs. A few years ago after yet another shoulder surgery, I went to the Surf Museum to catch a Sunday show 3 days post surgery. I decided to man up and I took off my sling. Under my shirt I was still bandaged and bleeding. I was greeted by a massive Baja Marty bear hug.I saw stars from the pain. I told Marty I'd just had surgery and of course he apologized. The following Sunday, I saw Marty again (10 days post surgery) and was greeted with another crushing bear hug. I love ya Marty.

I'm working on the poster. It's fantastic. If anyone else would like to contribute, please do so soon. I will probably order the poster by next week.

PS: Running out of space, though! I need some smaller sentiments. I've taken everything you have all written and pasted it into the poster.

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next