Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Baja Marty: Thoughts and Comments

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

When I posted the event for Marty on Facebook, I received a post from an individual, explaining how he met Marty. At that point, I thought of a good idea.

I'm encouraging people to write! Please reply with stories about Marty, how you met Marty, and/or any sentiments you would like to convey to Marty. My idea is to copy and paste responses and create some sort of card or poster that could be presented along with the proceeds.

Thanks!

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Great Idea Kristena,

Marty isn't a computer Guy, and a Giant Card like this will be very cool,
and mean the world to him.

First time I met Baja Marty. I was at the Surfing Museum (for a band playing in the Parking Lot)sometime in the Winter or Spring of 97.
He had seen me at a couple of shows at there before.
He came over and Introduced himself as Baja Marty, and then asked me my Name and How old was I. When I said 25, he said,
"Wow!!!Far Out man, It's good to get some young people into the Scene."

I was thinking the Same thing when I met Max(15) that I played Margaya
with at the SG101 convention, and also The Deadbeats, and Tequila Worms.

Marty used to go to a lot of shows like I do. And told me recently,
"he still would if he was younger, and had more energy". And that he is glad that more young people are coming into the Scene still. And that makes him happy to see.

Let's keep the scene going and Make Baja Marty Proud.
Head down, Fist Up, brothers(and Sisters) in Reverb.
SG101!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011 00:07:40

I first met Marty at my first Slacktone show at the
Hotel Utah in S.F. He was kind enough to share his
table with me and a couple of other people. At first he
was very untalkative, but as the show progressed he warmed up
more and more. By the end of the show he alternated
between going wild, getting very sentimental, and
hugging everybody in sight. If you look up surf fanatic
in the dictionary, you will see a definition of and a
picture of Marty. I'm really sad that this condition
keeps him from getting out as much as he would like to.
It's not just tough on him, but a hit to the entire
surf community. Long Live Baja Marty!!!

(That show at the Hotel Utah was the first time that I
met Big Tiki Dude, as well. He didn't know me from
Adam, but he gave me a Moby Dicks CDR without batting
an eye. Sob Cry sob! I wuv ya man! Sob! Cry )

Bob

Bob

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011 07:47:02

Baja Marty is one seriously great guy. I'm very saddened to hear about his battle with cancer. He's one of those guys who always greets you with a big smile and a giant bear hug. If memory serves me well, I first met him at a Ghastly Ones' show, hangin' with Jeff I'm sure. He's one of those faces you see at every surf music event and he seemed to never miss a show. His love and devotion to this genre of music projects from every fiber. Such a positive and enthusiastic soul! Get well, Marty!

Norm

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

I am not 100% sure, but I think the first time I met Marty was when I first met Jeff BTD, it was at the Tiki in Pacific Beach in the summer of 2002. He gave my wife and me his business card "Roadie for the Eliminators" Smile
Ever since then and up until recently he was always there at most of the shows I went to see, always greeting with his famous bear hug. Always animated and getting into the music, yes, goofy but in a very good way.
Never misses on giving good feedback to the performers after the gig, or sharing a funny story from his US Navy days.
Marty, we love you all and wish you would get well soon!

Your "Fine Jewish Friend" (his quote)
Ran

The Scimitars

I first met Marty in the late 90s or early 00s I believe when he used to watch my old band, Surf Report, play at the Tiki House in San Diego and other places. He's always been such an ardent supporter of surf music and the bands that play in the genre. As the picture below proves, Marty truly feels the music like nobody else I know! The Secret Samurai is very lucky to have supporters like Marty come to shows!

The Samurai loves you Marty! Get well soon!!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011 10:24:19

Great stories guys,
Keep em coming.

And great pic Ryan,
Thanks for posting that.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I met Marty through BTD sometime in the last 3 years. He told me he wouldn't buy an RFB calendar until I got Svetlana from Messer Chups in it. Unfortunately, Svetlana ain't returning my messages. BUT, through the kind work of San Diego Joe, we have a fake shot of Svetlana in an RFB shirt. Hope this suffices, Marty!

Get well, godammit!

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

Gracias Mr. Hay,
I will print that up, and give it to Marty.
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I met Marty at his Big Birthday Bash at Suzy's where he warmly greeted me. At the first Point Doom gig, also at Suzy's, Marty came up front when we launched into Baja, joined by an Unsteady guy. Marty hoisted his arm to my headstock so I could inject some reverb into his vein. That sure made me feel good. Afterwards he gave us some very encouraging words of praise. I salute you Marty!

I believe I met Marty at the very first SG101 convention...and then much later we blew out our eardrums together listening to some surf bands over at Suzy's...I think they were called "The Slacktone" or "The Madeira" or something...or maybe it was both...the next thing I knew I was drinking Guiness Stout and Insect Dave was totally tearing it up with his wicked surreal moves to some reverberated band from Europa...that was before the bats...THE BATS!

Anyway...i was there when Doug shot-up Marty with the massive reverb-spike and I must say it was a powerful and beautiful moment in time and in space...

Get well soon, Companero Marty...

I seem to remember meeting Marty back in '98 when the Space Cossacks toured the West Coast, but it's possible my mind is playing tricks on me. Definitely remember him in '06, the first time the Madeira played California. He said he was working for the Eliminators and then proceeded to stand right in front of the stage at (I think) every SoCal show we played, giving us a HUGE boost of enthusiasm! He clearly enjoyed himself to the core, and just loved hearing us. Doesn't get much better than that for musicians! And he treated us like long lost friends almost right away. When we returned to CA in '08, he went one better and treated us like long-lost family! Bear-hugs all around, full of compliments on our music and just full of love. Amazing. Jeff sent me this photo today from the Suzy's, Hermosa Beach show after the first SG101 convention on 8/2/08, and I think that this just captures it all. Marty had been listening to surf music since that morning, and yet was STILL completely stoked, as can be seen here, after 10-12 hours of it! And that's probably the best way to describe him: eternally stoked!

One more thing: I think it was before we played the HBISM parking lot in July of '06, he came up to me and asked if we were going to play the surf anthem. I said, 'what's that?' His response: 'Miserlou!' So, we did, just for him.

We love you, Marty!!! You are the VERY BEST!!! Get better soon and get back right in front of those amps and stages ASAP!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

I seem to remember meeting Marty back in '98 when the
Space Cossacks toured the West Coast, but it's possible
my mind is playing tricks on me. Definitely remember
him in '06, the first time the Madeira played
California. He said he was working for the Eliminators
and then proceeded to stand right in front of the stage
at (I think) every SoCal show we played, giving us a
HUGE boost of enthusiasm! He clearly enjoyed himself
to the core, and just loved hearing us. Doesn't get
much better than that for musicians! And he treated us
like long lost friends almost right away. When we
returned to CA in '08, he went one better and treated
us like long-lost family! Bear-hugs all around, full
of compliments on our music and just full of love.
Amazing. Jeff sent me this photo today from the
Suzy's, Hermosa Beach show after the first SG101
convention on 8/2/08, and I think that this just
captures it all. Marty had been listening to surf
music since that morning, and yet was STILL completely
stoked, as can be seen here, after 10-12 hours of it!
And that's probably the best way to describe him:
eternally stoked!

One more thing: I think it was before we played the
HBISM parking lot in July of '06, he came up to me and
asked if we were going to play the surf anthem. I
said, 'what's that?' His response: 'Miserlou!' So, we
did, just for him.

We love you, Marty!!! You are the VERY BEST!!! Get
better soon and get back right in front of those amps
and stages ASAP!

That photo says it all about Marty! AWESOME!

Bob

Bob

I met Marty (and BTD)on my first trip to Southern California with Doug Snyder. We met at The Gas Lamp in Long Beach for a really huge surf show. I had finally met someone other than Doug who shared the same love for surf music as I did! The next time I met Marty was in El Segundo before we played The Purple Orchid show. We shared food and a beer all the while he was telling me about his love for the song "Baja". "If it's done right",he said, "I will cry like a little baby".
I guess we have never done the song right, according to Baja Marty, cause he has never cried over our version, but we'll keep trying. Argh
Get well my friend!!!

The Mighty Surf Lords- Sparks,Nv.
"Praise The Lords"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTDYfy0xM8
www.myspace.com/themightysurflords
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mightysurflords

I first met Marty at the 2004 Surf Coasters show in Brookdale, my very first trip to California:

Marty

L-R: Tom Hinders, Trode, moi, BTD, Marty.

Like the others who have posted here, Marty introduced himself to me as the roadie for the Eliminators and then proudly showed me his "Dick Dale ring". It was quite apparent he was a hardcore fan. I remember him approaching the stage during Shigeo's killer version of Miserlou and giving him the double fist pump. Shigeo smiled broadly and nodded his head back.

Ever since then Marty has always treated me warmly and we talked many times since then about his love of music and his record collection.

Marty you are the best and we all love you. Keep your head up and get well soon!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

HA! Ivan, that's the same photo I used for the facebook invitation!

Nice stories everyone. Thank you for sharing!

I first met Marty, sitting at the bar in Suzy's, in 2004. We were watching Slacktone. There wasn't much dialogue at first. After a while, he started telling me about reverb, surging through his veins. Then, he told me that he wanted an IV line tattooed on his arm, coming from a reverb tank, straight into the bend of his arm.

Ha, Kristena! I didn't know that. But here's something you probably didn't use: The Madeira playing Transatlantic Orbit at the HBISM Pier show in '08 - go to 2:37 until 2:50, and check out Marty getting the shivers from the really high notes I'm playing. He was sitting right in front of that Showman - those notes must have been drilling right through to his cranium - but he seems to be loving it! (Though he seems to cover his ears at one point, but I'd like to think he's just overwhelmed by the reverb goodness! Very Happy )

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Great video, Ivan. Great Marty moment. That is exactly what I think of when I think of Marty.

I wish there was an emoticon with a guy kinda smiling but kinda crying at the same time.
Because you guys are gettin to me.

I talked to Marty on the phone tonight,
To go over any song requests that he might have for
The Torquays and Eliminators sets.

He sounded Great, even though he just had Chemo treatment today.
(That stuff can really take it out of ya).
Yet he sounded really upbeat, and strong.
(didn't sound that way a month ago)
He said "It's rough, but he's thinking positive,
eating well, and is gonna try his damnedest to beat this shit."
And he is really looking forward to being at the Benefit show.

Please keep the Stories coming.

Ivan, He was at the Space Cossacks show's in 98, at the Tiki Bar with the Torquays and Slacktone, and I think at the Surf Museum the next day.

and Then he was at the Rendevous Reunion show in 2000.

He may not make it to as many shows as he did in the 80's and early 90's
But I drag his ass to as many as possible.
Guitar

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011 01:19:50

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next