Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink The Wedge

Page 1 of 1

Here is some video of The Wedge that inspired the Dick Dale song of the same name. Its just a few miles from my house & went off sevral times in 2006. Can't believe I used to go out in the water there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgiM-T1xRMM&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzeERbvd4vg&mode=related&search=

...dirty old Wedge! The Newport Jetty catches all the nasty foamy pollution. But on a clean day, it's the best 10 second bodysurf ride around!

PS: DD used to live in the Gillette Mansion right next door to the Wedge... but, after the ocean pollution nearly ate his leg off, he moved inland to the relatively clean and peaceful Mojave Desert.

On DD's website there is a picture of him standing on his balcony overlooking the wedge. They get a few broken necks there every year.

Man the Wedge is a vicious vicious wave/place.
Every wave is different.
I have been out there only in smal stuff 4 to 8 ft. faces, and been head planted in the sand many times, and tossed around like a rag doll, and im no light person.
I try to go down there, everytime it gets huge like that.

I heard DD lost his Place there in a Law suit or something.
another myth/legend to put on the list.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
...I heard DD lost his Place there in a Law suit or something.
another myth/legend to put on the list.

tikiman:

yeah...I think when DD broke up with his 1st wife in the early 80s...
he went through bigtime divorce/court battles...and a bunch of other legal stuff...

right after "The Tiger's Loose" came out, if I remember correctly...

-dp

I have to say, that house has about the best location in Newport. Im going to be down there this weekend. I'll post some pics as it looks today.

I hear DD invented the Wedge.

• Bill M.

www.Myspace.com/thefindicators

What day is Surf Rock's birthday? Looks like Surf Rock and I was born the same year. Maybe we are both Libras?

FinDicator1
- Bill M.

Too Funny Bill M.
yeah and Electricity, and the Guitar,amongst other stuff.
ok I gotta stop now, or Linda will get mad at me. Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

FinDicator1

• Bill M.

www.Myspace.com/thefindicators[/quote

real funny....Going to start with the DD bashing now?

This is me keeping my mouth shut....

.... Dick Dale invented that too.

Bwwhahhahahahah, I'm a dork.

~B~

bigtikidude
Man the Wedge is a vicious vicious wave/place.
Every wave is different.
I have been out there only in smal stuff 4 to 8 ft. faces, and been head planted in the sand many times, and tossed around like a rag doll, and im no light person.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I've never been down there when waves are like that.

Jeff, I'm surprised you didn't comment about the music on the video.

-K

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

some lurkers dont like some of my comments so I'm trying to be good not to offend to many people Wink Rolling Eyes

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

When you're skimming on the foam...and you have a broken bone.........Diarrhea.......Diarrhea.

Twisted Evil > Angel

The water at the Wedge usually looks pretty nice though I cant testify to the bacteria content. I've only seen nasty foam like that after some real big storms that washes everything inland to the ocean.

Here are a few pics from a stormy day in 2002:

Really nice photos HB. Man, that Wedge looks like it could easily break some bones...thus giving you diarrhea. Rolling Eyes Laughing

When you swallow noxious bubbles...it'll give your colon troubles....diarrhea.....diarrhea.

That toxic spillage in the impact zone does look as hazardous as the surf conditions. Those guys in the video are hardcore.

Twisted Evil > Angel

Most of the big waves you see at the Wedge in the video & pictures are breeaking into really shallow water, 3 to 5 feet. Broken necks there are not uncomon at all. My favorite part in the video is where the guy on the beach retrieves a board on the sand for a surfer then gets worked by the shore break. That place throws such massive amounts of water on the sand, it can sweep you off your feet & suck you out right into the impact zone. Some of the pics look like I'm shooting in the water. I'm on dry sand shooting with a 28-200 mm lense. That is how close in the wedge breaks. When the place is big, it crazy like noth shore, Oahu. Hundreds of people on the beach, all the TV stations, photogs. A real crazy scene.

Page 1 of 1