Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The TomorrowMen: It's About Time

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

CUTBACK

DannySnyder wrote:

Shocked (speechless)

It's About Time! just came and I'm listening to it right now. I'm speechless too. I'll just say, yeah, what Ivan said.

And one more thing. This album sets the bar very high. I expect this to be one of those records that musicians will look to for inspiration for generations to come.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Congratulations to the TomorrowMen and Ferenc for a mindblowingly great album!!!! What Ivan said and even more.... Wow! I knew that it would be fantastic, but this certainly exceeded my high expectations. Great songs and arranging; inspired performances by the entire band, and great production. And very cool artwork! Well worth the long wait! 5 star release that should be in every surf fan's collection.

Bob

Bob

Mr. Mailman showed up. Got my copy yesterday and have had a chance for 6 listens start to finish, 3 yesterday, 3 today. First two were back to back. As someone mentioned earlier, the previously released material quickly stood out as my faves.

Then a few hours later, I got listen number three. It was all of the sudden harder to tell what was new v. old. I think it was Ivan that commented on some of the material taking a few listens to sink in. Totally my experience.

By the time I got back to it for a few more listens today, it was as if I'd listened 30 times before, not 3. All the kudos already written are true - great writing, arrangement, variety/texture/sounds. Really tight playing, great production and fantastic artwork.

I'm usually pretty readily able to name a clear favorite two or three tracks on most any album. Not so here. They continue to bloom and grow with each listen. I mean no disrespect in calling out the lone cover, but I'm fairly certain that I'd put Clair de Lune in that list. I think. It turned out brilliantly. There are so many strong contenders here... Tempori with lots of great trem/vibrato work in the phrasing, the grit and drive in Fred Haines, the great hooks and bouncy flow of Mobius, more great vocal-like expression in Momentum, and of course the familiarity of really great cuts like Chronosurf, and Requiem to bring it home.

Really great work T-Men & Ferenc! You've clearly pulled out all the stops and it shows.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

I finally got my copy this week. Great art, great recording/production. While I am more a fan of trad instro/surf, I am mightily impressed by the composition and performance on this cd. I especially like the use of dynamics within the compositions. It is rare to hear a band with this much dynamic control on a recording or live performance. My favorite tracks are Curse You Fred Haines, Phistful of Photons, Run Ripley Run and Momentium. I will be featuring Phistful of Photons and Run Ripley Run on the Chickenshack this week.

Great release. Thanks.

The Exotics 1994-Current
The Chickenshack - www.wmse.org
www.thedoghouseflowers.com
www.uptownsavages.com

Thanks to everyone for all the kind remarks and the support. Without a doubt, all my friends here on SG101 are what inspired me to play in this band and create the music I do. SG101!

A note about the artwork, would you believe the artist knocked that out for us in a week? We had some unexpected challenges getting the artwork completed when Jim stepped forward to take over. He did a first class job, envisioning a style that perfectly complements our music and approach. Please check out his portfolio and consider using him for any artwork projects that you may have. (but try to give him longer than a week Smile )

http://rebeletter.bigcartel.com/artist/jim-ford

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Jul 07, 2011 10:13:16

I just had to paste this over here, I'm very honored as Alex is one of my very favorite guitarists, and of a talent I consider to be in a class all his own.

El-Salvaje wrote:

The Tomorrow Men "It's about Time"
...breathtaking, this IS my record of the year
2011! Lotsa energy, prog yet as Surf As it
can get, AMAZING!!!!
Vb
Alex

Danny Snyder

_

If you haven't gotten yours yet, I'm bringing a bunch to the convention with me, in case you're going.

Danny Snyder

_

Jonpaul Balak kept telling me, "Ya gotta hear the Tomorrowmen's new CD!" I was happy to see Danny and procure a copy today at the convention. I have to say, the album is indeed a collection of sonic treats! Some numbers are wholly futuristic. Others - still futuristic - are filtered through the traditional gear. Danny's song writing is wonderful and the tight playing by the band is very well represented in Ferenc’s recording. Of course Mr. Snyder went the easy route and chose a three chord number to cover in Claire de Lune – NOT! That one had to have taken a while to assemble but it comes out very natural. I’m so glad to finally have his excellent surf-meets-romantic arrangement on disk. I'm just as delighted that the rest of the album is so steller. Great work Tomorrowmen!

"Hello Girls!"

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011 16:48:25

I'm glad I picked up a copy at The Convention Saturday. I listened to it all the way through twice on the otherwise miserable 2-hour drive to my afternoon gig in Carlsbad. Excellent as one would expect considering the musicians and producer!

i've listened twice now and the stand out track was #5 both times (not sure of it's title). it sounds like it should be on the soundtrack of a spy movie. well done.

www.surfintheeye.com

Who was that funny young man flogging this disk at the convention?

LOL...

Loved the Meshuggas, too!

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/rockinrio.delrosa

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/TheHighTides

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/pages/The-Blue-Demons

mom_surfing wrote:

i've listened twice now and the stand out track was #5
both times (not sure of it's title). it sounds like it
should be on the soundtrack of a spy movie. well done.

Curse you, Fred Haines! Not sure if it's the screenwriter or the California freight company. Confused

My personal favorite - new favorite, always excepting Claire de Lune - is Momentium. Apparently Momentium is somewhere in Ipanema.

Holy Cow! I finally heard this CD and I could hardly believe how great it sounds. I'm familiar with the previous versions of some songs but the new recordings are so much more dynamic and the guitar tones are some of the best ever. Excellent work and congratulations to everyone involved for doing such an inspiring job.

Carol it is indeed the trucking company. They used to constantly block the alley way that leads to our rehearsal space by parking across the entire thing. Used to piss me off royally. They're no longer there, but the song remains...

Thanks for all the kinds words, both above and from everyone who came up to me at the convention. I'm sincerely flattered and appreciative.

Danny Snyder

_

IvanP wrote:

"...It would be great to see more discussion of music on SG101 -

imagine if we spent even half the time discussing music
that we spend discussing gear! Wow! That would really
be something."

+1 i love this sentiment...

Tuck wrote: <<<Momentium is presumably the substance of which time is made?>>>
Tuck wrote: <<<Apparently Momentium is somewhere in Ipanema.>>>

looking at the periodic table, we find that Momentium is one of the paradoxical elements, having the characteristic of being extremely cool and on fire at the same time.

I haven't posted on here about this album and being that it is easily one of my favorites (and not merely of the surf genre but just in general) I feel I should comment.

I basically agree with everything that has been said so far about this release and Im just glad that it's finally out now. The compositions are nothing short of impressing. I've always been a big fan of Danny's song writing from the beginning when I first saw the T-men a couple of years ago at the Parkside in SF. I went home with a copy of their 4-song EP, "There is no Now", that night and was pretty psyched about it. I would basically listen to that disc everyday for about over a month after that gig. I was in love with that EP and spent my time learning the leads and rhythms to the songs on guitar (I even tried writing a T-men inspired surf tune at some point if you can believe that). Anyways this discussion is on their album and not their EP from years ago.

But what I basically just want to say is that if you call yourself a music lover and consider yourself a person of good judgment, look no further as to fill your musical void with "It's About Time!". This album has got it all in my opinion; great memorable melodies, exciting dynamics, excellent arrangements full of energy and charisma. It's very inspiring to listen to this album and kinda makes you wanna shoot for more as far as musical composition is concerned. This is thee album to get and you will not regret it if you do. Some highlights for me would be; Mobius Transfomation, Maelstrom, Run Ripley Run, Dr.Kilometers, all of which I feel are fun and exciting songs but my favorite has got to be Momentium. This song is simply breathtaking. What a wonder! So raw and full of emotion that is expressed very well through the band's performance. It has an intensity that is unmatched and will stand the test of time for years to come. This is simply an amazing album, a magnum opus if you will. It's muy bueno!!!

If I haven't already convinced you that you should buy this album to add to your music collection. I can always arrange for a beating in order to persuade you. That is all...

The Deadbeats

Shocked Wow, thanks Abe! Though I think it was more like 3 or 4 years ago you came to that first Tmen gig at Thee Parkside.

Abe wrote:

If I haven't already convinced you that you should buy
this album to add to your music collection. I can
always arrange for a beating in order to persuade you.
That is all...

YEAH! Don't make Abe shank you, just buy the album already

LMAO

Danny Snyder

_

Oh yeah! It was like in March of '08. Damn that was a while ago.

The Deadbeats

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next