Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Dick Dale: The Silver Sounds of Surf

Page 1 of 1

I just found a Dick Dale "The Silver Sounds of Surf" Where does this fit into the discography? Surfbass

Last edited: May 11, 2011 14:11:13

you might want to edit your title of the thread to read,
album question or something like that.

I haven't heard of it.
I would assume its a bootleg or something.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I should've written this earlier. Here is Dick Dale's discography from his own Website, and that album's not on it.

http://www.dickdale.com/discography.html

What songs are included? It may be a re-issue with a new name or an unapproved anthology. When was it issued?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: May 11, 2011 16:59:00

It's not a bootleg but this really isn't a Dick Dale LP, it's an album by The Stompers (who were actually The Irridescents who recorded a surf instro version of "Bali Ha'i"). The only reason Dick's name is on the album is because it includes "Fairest of Them All" and "You'll Never Hear The End Of It." More info about those tracks and The Stompers' LP is in my book, "The Illustrated Discography of Surf Music, 1961-1965" http://www.johnblair.us.

John

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

This one?

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Interesting about the history behind this release (thanks for posting the LP cover image). Also interesting about The Irridescents, as really like their very twangy rendition of Bali Ha'i. I picked up a copy of Mr. Blair's book a year or so ago, and find it to be an excellent resource with great info. and images. Plus he was good enough to sign it, pre-mail out, so that was appreciated.

http://tunefan.com
http://www.youtube.com/tunefan

**I would like to "set the record straight" concerning "The Irridescents".

John's post has it pretty much right. Let me explain. I was a founding member of "The Irridescents in, I believe, 1962. We were just four young 15 year old teenagers who loved surf music who also happened to play guitars. We were a garage band that was formed in La Crescenta, California and we went to Hoover High School in Glendale, Ca.
The Irridescents were composed of: Hank Fouchet, Lead Guitar; Mike Ferraro, Rhythm Guitar; Collin Field, Bass; David Kimber, Drums. We performed in and around the Glendale area. While playing at a Hoover High School dance, I learned that I had mispelled the word Irridescents. I was told by an english teacher that there was only one R in the spelling and there was no plural of the word!!! Oh well....We were just a bunch of kids having fun and trying to impress the girls and maybe get a few dates!
I believe it was in 1963 we performed at the "Battle of the Bands" at the Deauville Castle Club in Santa Monica, California. Instead of playing the current hits of the day, we played some original songs and compositions that were written by our lead guitarist, Hank Fouchet. Among them were "Swamp Surfer" and a composition of "Bali Hai" that was transformed into a a "surf music" sounding piece. After our performance we were approached by a fellow whose name was Steve Reggio. He said he liked our sound and original music and would like to record us and produce an album. As "star struck" teenagers we promptly signed the contracts and a week later we were in Hollywood at the Western Recording Studio (shortly later to become the famous Western Recorder recording studio)performing our surf style original numbers and fantasizing about competing with the Beach Boys!!.
The album came out 2 weeks later. It was called "The Silver Sounds of the Surf" It was a brown velvet cover with a surfer on a board in silver. But we were completely surprised and shocked when the album was titled: Dick Dale and The Irridescents. Wow!! Dick Dale was our idol. What is this? Well, it turns out that before Dick Dale became famous in Southern California with his surf style music, he made a number of non surf music vocals that were less than notable. He evidently signed away his music rights. So this Steve Reggio realized all he needed to do was find some gullible band with original music that wanted to record and then he would put Dick Dale's name on it....totally bogus.......How did we find out about it? Well...most of us use to go see Dick Dale perform every week at the"Harmony Park Ballroom in Anaheim. And during one of his breaks from playing he held up his new album and said: "This is my new album that is now in the record stores" Then he reached down and picked up the album that we recorded and said: "This album is also in the stores but it is a fake- don't buy it" I can still feel the blood rushing out of my brain. We were so embarrassed. We were paranoid that he might know we were the culprits!! We just stood there on the dance floor trying to look as innocent as we could!!

Shortly thereafter, I think, but I am not completely sure, we sold our rights to our songs for a pittance and Steve Reggio then replaced The Irridescents with the name of "The Stompers" on the cover of the same album.

As I understand our single and our album are now somewhat collector items, I guess we have now achieved a degree of fame that we were seeking in 1963!!

Sincerely,
Mike Ferraro

P.S.: We understood at the time that our album sold 2,000 copies in Southern California- purchased, no doubt, by unknowing surfer types.

Wow!! What a great story Mike. Typical Hollywood bullshit of the day. I can't imagine what that was like for you guys. Heartbreaking I would think.

Thanks for sharing...

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

Wow, welcome Mike to SG101 and thanks for popping in and sharing your story! I hope you stick around as I'm sure lots of folks would be interested in asking you questions about that exciting period!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Another "WOW" thread!! Shock

Finally a true story after all mysteries.

Hail to The Irridescents Cheers

FUZZ WAS THEIR GOD...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011 16:09:38

Glad for the better-late-than-never 'fame' Mike...one has to sympathize w/ these stories of kids getting their cold, hard record biz lessons.

[PS, Bali Hai: what a great idea to cover that tune! Exotic rock, similar to Jon doing "Breeze and I."]

So, Dick's two vocal tunes are the only LP tracks of him and his band; all the others were you guys?

Mike,

Love your version of Bali Hai,
hope you hang around here.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

My dad was the drummer for The Irridescents (Stompers). Does anyone know of other recordings or even filmed performances of them? Thanks!

I don't know who put it on YouTube, but it's properly credited.

My dad was the drummer for the Irridescents, so I'm not sure who David Kimber is. Was there another drummer?

Bump!

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Promoting this to the best-of forum for it's goldmine of information. Thanks for the bump Jonpaul.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Yes indeed. Thanks! Does anyone know what happened to Mike Ferraro? The post above is the only one he made here. I, for one, would love to hear from him again.

Page 1 of 1