Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Suggestion Box »

Permalink Guitar & Amp Audio Demo/Samples on MP3 page

Page 1 of 1

Brian, It would be a great for users of this site if they could hear examples
of peoples gear in action, purely on it's own. I'm talking about users uploading short recordings of their setups, not full songs with other instruments. I think it would be an invaluble resource ecpecially for the players who have not yet found their perfect setup.

I know their are other factors that can color the sound...room, mic and placement, recording medium etc, but if the guys could keep it simple, no tweaking their files with extra eq or reverb post recording, then i think it would really take advantage of the technology available to us.

I little verbal intro would be cool too like.."hi, this is Ivan and this is my 19XX
Strat going through my Fender XXX..." Drip Drip Drip etc!!

Adam

Wow I think this would be VERY useful .
Nice suggestion pointbreakspy.
Joel Very Happy

Agree I really like this idea.

that's a very cool idea!

Exclamation Idea Exclamation

Ok, but are you guys sure you can actually hear significant things from listening to mp3 samples?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Agree

not just mp3, but esp. the way you record. put the mic 3 inch closer to the centre of the speaker, and the sound changes more than a different tranny would. it sounds like a fun but pointless project!

unless Idea

well, what could be of help I guess if you put up comparisons with you're own stuff. say make the same setup and record a sample with one guiatr and straight away with the other. those two samples would be comparable. or different cab, differnet tank. etc.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Not sure that using mp3 is necessarily a problem. For the small sound bites we're talking about, you could go to a very high bitrate and get a sound that nobody but dogs and Eric Johnson could tell apart from the original recording.

To the best comparison you should only change one link in the signal chain at a time. e.g. mic placement (as WR said), the player, the pick, the strings, the guitar, the cable, the reverb unit, the amp, the settings, the tubes, the cabinet, the speakers, the mic, the recording equipment, the room, etc.

Thinking about some of the threads in the forums (fora?), I think it would be interesting to hear things like:
- Two different players playing the exact same thing through the exact same setup
- What changing that tube in the reverb tank actually does to the sound
- Different picks and the effect on the reverb drip
- A Twin vs. a Showman through the same cabinet
- Different sets of strings on the same guitar (this one could get pretty time-consuming and expensive)

The Gear Samples download category is now open for business.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

well done brian,
i bet the avatar suits you...

i'd just like to hear a classic setup, and maybe swap between guitars in the one session, keeping the other variables constant, like just to hear the difference between a jag and a strat and a mosrite...real basic stuff for a basic surf gremmie.... Cool

thanks

ps.. if i can't pick it maybe my dog will help me... one woof for a strat ...... Question

Page 1 of 1