Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Suggestion Box »

Permalink SG101 2.0 is here -- feedback thread

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Here is what I noticed so far:

1. Need to bring over the old "bulletins" from the old front page
  2. Need links to the past mp3 compilations
  3. When reviewing the list of topics with unread posts, clicking the link should take you to the first unread post instead of the first post in the thread.
  4. The IRC bot is broken (not updating who is in IRC).

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Mar 03, 2011 20:43:55

Brian, what about 'list all unread posts'?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder wrote:

Brian, what about 'list all unread posts'?

It is still there. It's just in a pull-down menu on the main forum index page. Look on the upper right for a pull-down menu that says "Show topics with unread posts".

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011 22:42:13

Another tip: The green check mark on the box you enter your post allows you to preview your post.

(I'm in IRC now, BTW with Fady and Jake.)

I might have missed it but..... Is there a "Back to Top" button anywhere within the threads?
It sure beats having to scroll all the way back up to the top....

Just curious. Confused

Fin Doctors
Crashmatics

BigKen wrote:

I might have missed it but..... Is there a "Back to Top" button anywhere within the threads?

Just curious. Confused

Good idea! I'll put it on the to-do list.

Brian wrote:

BigKen wrote:

Just curious. Confused

Good idea! I'll put it on the to-do list.

In the meantime... On a Mac, ⌘ (command) + ^ (up arrow) takes you all the way to the top of the page. Been a long time since using a PC, but have to imagine a similar key stroke short cut exists.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

I'll admit, I'm not in love with it. Feels more cramped, you have to do a lot more scrolling to get to some of the sections. The background doesn't scale to my 1080p resolution, white bars on the left and right.

More importantly, I think you should keep the forums link at the top for unregistered users. I point people to this site for my playlists and I'm worried that they won't find out how to browse the forums

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

El Monstro, I'm ok with spacing, use of real estate, resolution et cetera. That part aside, I was about to send Brian a PM on the home page with a comment similar to yours ElMonstro... but hey, I can post it here.

Brian,

Just one persons opinion... I wish you'd left the homepage as it was right at cut-over, without the permanent "fixtures."

I absolutely appreciate a temporary spotlight for Eddie - and similar "big time" stuff. Temporarily being key - even if thats 3 months, 6 months, whatever.

Given typical browser window size, the permanent nature of these (big) things is directly (and unfairly) at the expense of people readily seeing the latest forum action (the main draw to the site), the other news articles, new links and downloads.

A few alternatives / ideas / suggestions:

• Use the hi-nav / left rail to advertise SG101 twitter, maybe via widget, or just a box like PotD.

• or just iconify it with the square t "follow me" icon (also in resources) in hi-nav just under the Yahoo Group over there on the left. You could add a YouTube icon right next to it too for your SG101 channel.

...and for the books, videos, goods

• maybe keep them as a sticky in the top of the shallow end or something - I know there's the long standing "What are you reading now?" thread there, which has a slew of other very relevant books.

• alternatively, put them in the news stream with the rest of the articles and "bump" them every few months or something if necessary.

In the end, I think those spotlights shine too bright, take up too much space, and overshadow all the rest of the awesomeness the site has to offer. They definitely have a time/place to be front & center on home page, to be sure. Just not permanently - which is what they seem to be, for this user/member at least. Again, only one persons opinion.

Anyhow, sorry to nag! The new site is AMAZING!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Yiiiiihaaaa!

El Twitter
El Ray
El Ray on Bandcamp
El Twang on YouTube

Site looks great Brian thanks for the hard work.

Will the tabs in the downloads section be coming back for those of us that use them? I still needed to print some out.

"Maybe there aren't any surf bands; there's only surf music?" Tuck

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011 09:07:02

A darker background would be easier on the eyes than looking at this bright or "antiseptic" view as thunderbass put it for extended periods. (Hardly worth mentioning but more of a suggestion than a whine but I can always put on my shades Cool ) I'm liking how avatars are automatically formatted to 100 X 100 than having to do ourselves manually for those of us who change avatars as often as our strings or socks. But change is good......

seafoam_johnny wrote:

A darker background would be easier on the eyes than looking at this bright or "antiseptic" view as thunderbass put it for extended periods.But change is good......

Change is good indeed. I like the clean look, and the header/logo is very cool. Thank you Brian and all involved. As for the bright BG thing- During daylight it's OK IMHO, and even has a positive psychological effect. As for nighttime- to prevent blindness I always use (for Firefox) the ColorToggle extension. I guess other browsers have something similar for retina preservation.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Overnight I got a few serious errors that I need to look into. The good thing about this platform is that I can actually change stuff. The old software was so twisted and obtuse, simple changes were nearly impossible.

ElMonstroPorFavor wrote:

I'll admit, I'm not in love with it. Feels more cramped, you have to do a lot more scrolling to get to some of the sections. The background doesn't scale to my 1080p resolution, white bars on the left and right.

The decision about going fixed width or a liquid layout (like the old site) was a difficult one. In the end I went with fixed width because it was easier to code and make it look right (for me). If you or anyone else out there has good CSS skills and wants to work with me on a liquid layout, I'm down for trying it out. Patches welcome, as they say.

More importantly, I think you should keep the forums link at the top for unregistered users. I point people to this site for my playlists and I'm worried that they won't find out how to browse the forums

Noted. You can send them a direct link to your playlist thread also.

I might look into doing a "screencast" and making a video of how to use some of the new features. I hope everyone checks out their profile; you can add lots of links, arbitrary text and photos (your own mug shot!). If you click on anyone's avatar you can browse their profile.

Here's a simple suggestion- How about extending the recent threads list in the front page from 10 to something like 20? That's how I usually get to be aware of new content, and it can help keeping discussions alive for longer.

DreadInBabylon wrote:

Here's a simple suggestion- How about extending the recent threads list in the front page from 10 to something like 20? That's how I usually get to be aware of new content, and it can help keeping discussions alive for longer.

That's a good idea. I also was thinking about making a "What's New" page. This page would list the last X number of forum posts (where X > 10), the latest links, downloads, members, etc.

didn't see a "preview" for creating a post, only a "submit" button

am I not looking in the right place?

thanks for all you do for the genre, tirelessly, Brian - bless you

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next