Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink "Life has Surface Noise"-John Peel, insert quote

Page 1 of 1

a friend sent me this, I thought it was good, and sent it to some friends,
Marty Tippens came back with a reply, then I thought of one.

post one if you have one.

John Peel: "Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs
are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise.
I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise."

Marty said:
"Someone was trying to tell me they don't like
3-D movies. I said, "Get real dude, life is in 3-D."

I replied,
"Some snobby record collector said
They only wanted mono records,
Because the stereo ones were fake,
I said hey man, life is in stereo."

Jeff(bigtikidude)

It's not in stereo for Brian Wilson!

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

bigtikidude
I replied,
"Some snobby record collector said
They only wanted mono records,
Because the stereo ones were fake,

I don't know Jeff, you might want to see this informational video first:

http://vodpod.com/watch/4735882-exclusive-video-bob-dylan-wants-you-to-embrace-mono

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Just cause life has surface noise doesn't mean i want more pops and crap in my music.. thank god for digital!!!

I wanna play just like him when i grow up...

Icetech
Just cause life has surface noise doesn't mean i want more pops and crap in my music.. thank god for digital!!!

I thought I was all alone with that opinion, Icetech. I'm glad t'hear someone else in favor of the silver disk.
-Marty

"Hello Girls!"

Here's another vote for CDs. I have a lot of vinyl, and it may sound better when it's new and if you have an excellent turntable. but on average, CDs sound much better than most people's turntables and their records (which they often handle with fingers on the surface - I still go into shock when I see that!). CDs are also a lot more convenient, easier to upload to iTunes, play in tbe car, etc. I really don't get the whole vinyl retro thing, except for the fetishism of holding and smelling the record (which I do kinda understand), and seeing the artwork in big size, which is also very cool. But I'm OK with sacrificing those things for the upsides of CDs.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

For those that seriously collects original records, vinyl is not a retro thing, nor snob.

I have more vinyl now than I had in the pre-CD years. I still collect it avidly and love it for what it is; large artwork, analog sound. But it also has those fundamental problems. One problem that few ever bring up is the degradation in sound as the tone arm approaches the center of the lp. Tracks at the outer groove will always sound better than tracks towards the inner groove. Most realize that tape gives better sound quality at higher linear speed (15 IPS is better than 7.5 IPS). The lp is the same (33.3 rpm is better than 16 rpm). Unfortunately, the linear speed of the groove hitting the stylus decreases significantly as the tone arm approaches the label and the sound quality diminishes.
Anywho, as one who was tired of jumping out of his seat to polish static of the lp and dust off the needle every 5 minutes, I'm like Ivan, I really appreciate the convenience and consistant sound quality of a well mastered CD.
-Marty

"Hello Girls!"

For those who listen to music LOUD, like in a club, etc., you find that a CD, gets real harsh sounding. A turntable's tonearm/cartridge will have a nice coupling effect with loud speaker systems not unlike an electric guitar/amp/speaker coupling when played loud.

I greatly prefer vinyl over CDs. Not even close for me. Vinyl has an incredible warmth to the sound that CDs just don't touch IMO. I have a lot of duplicate CDs of vinyl recordings and if I'm at home, I'm throwing it on the turntable.

I think having a 70s Onkyo receiver adds a lot to the sound as well. I'm not too fond of most modern receivers I've owned.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Ruhar
I greatly prefer vinyl over CDs. Not even close for me. Vinyl has an incredible warmth to the sound that CDs just don't touch IMO. I have a lot of duplicate CDs of vinyl recordings and if I'm at home, I'm throwing it on the turntable.

I think having a 70s Onkyo receiver adds a lot to the sound as well. I'm not too fond of most modern receivers I've owned.

I've got some 70's stereo equipment too...it used to be old and worthless, now it's "Vintage". I really enjoy listening actively to vinyl. Get the record out, run the dust thingie over it, wait for the music to start....flip it over, look at the cover.... really fun and cool, and it sounds really warm and nice. Kind of like when I play the Jazzmaster thru the Bandmaster - only without the pops. I've got my parents LP collection, and you know what, they didn't have such bad taste in music after all.

I also like cd's - put it on, listen to the whole album (plus bonus tracks in some cases) Read the liner notes (sometimes they are really small, and hard to read, but there's bonus info) And, they are way easier to listen to in the car, and at work, and everywhere. My car turntable skips all the time. -

Now we have I-tunes, and mp3's - I can have a whole sh!+ ton of stuff on this little tiny player - and sometimes thats cool, but half the time, I miss most of the good stuff because I'm too busy forwarding the player to the next song. I make these huge 100+ song lists, when really, all I want to hear is the first side of "Surfer's Choice".

I never thought I'd be pining for the days of the "good ole' compact disc."

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Page 1 of 1