Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Ventures Live in Japan '65 amps...

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I'm sure this has been asked before but i cant find the information. What amps were the ventures using on their live recordings in japan? Are these the mosrite amps i've heard about? Also, did Takeshi Terauchi use the same amp on his albums because the tone sounds very similar to my ears? The Ventures Live in Japan sound is one of my favorite tones and i would love to be able to at least get close. I have a '72 silverface twin but im never able to turn it up loud enough to hear it overdrive or even play a mosrite or somewhat similar p90 equipped guitar through it.

Tim

If they're the same ones used in the Beloved Invaders film I'm pretty sure those are blonde showman amps with 1-15" cabs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlDhxeK3OXU

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

I'm looking at the album jacket of my "The Ventures on Stage" album (Dolton BST-8035, ca.1965 or 1966), and the piggyback amps on the cover are definitely not Fenders. I recall that the Japanese M.C. referred to "Japanese Amplifiers" at one point during his in-between songs chit-chat.

IMO, this was the best, most kick-ass live album that The Ventures ever recorded. The songs are a lot edgier and more intense than the versions on the "Live in Japan '65" album.

I've always wondered what kind of amps they were using on the "On Stage" album. They do not appear to be Mosrite amps. It is apparent from the overhead condensor microphone placement on the cover photo that they were being recorded. The amps were mic'd individually as well.

Both Nokie and Don are plugged straight into their amps via a coil cord - no tank. Each amp has nine knobs, so I would assume that they had onboard reverb.

Does anyone know for sure what these amps were?

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

good question, ttt for answers

I remember reading on Cowabunga or something that the Ventures borrowed some Japanese amps for the tour. They were similar to Fender Showmans. Certainly some hard core Ventures fans will know the real story....?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

WoodyJ
IMO, this was the best, most kick-ass live album that The Ventures ever recorded.

Woody, that's probably because it wasn't actually a 'live' album!! Well, it wasn't recorded in front of an audience, anyway. Read the liner notes to the CD reissue. The whole thing was recorded in some warehouse. They NEVER played live in Great Britain.

Sorry. Sad

Ivan

PS There was an in-depth discussion on Yahoo SG101 a year or few back about the amps pictured on the On Stage album. Somebody actually knew exactly what the amps were! I can't remember now, though. But I'm pretty sure they were solid state amps. And most certainly not what they actually used to record the On Stage album, which by any rate was done in the US. However, I think it's pretty certain that it was those circa-'62-'63 Showmans and Bassman that were used for the Live in Japan '65 album.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Thanks, Ivan...very interesting!

I've never been able to find the CD reissue of the On Stage album - I didn't know that it was on CD - and my vinyl album that I've had since it was released 40+ years ago is about worn out. I assume the CD is not readily available nowadays. Now I have yet another thing to look for on eBay!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Woddy, yeah, the CD reissue has been out of print for a few years. But here is the info about it. Good luck tracking it down!

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I think skeeter and Ivan are right about the amps at least until the mid 60's. There are several Japanese Ventures tribute bands who seem to be sticklers for details and prefer vintage Mosrite guitars and Fender amps. Here's a link to some photos. In one photo Nokie's apparently using a blonde Fender amp and the Mosrites are the early bound/sidejack '63's.

I know it's not Mosrite amps because the Ventures never used Mosrite amps. They contracted with another company (I can't remember the name either) to produce a "Ventures" amp. These amps were solid state--produced sometime after '65. I got this information from Ed Sanner who designed the Mosrite amps, which were tube amps.

Don Wilson said that the Ventures regularly sold their equipment after a Japanese tour because it was costly to ship back and they could get a small fortune for it in Japan.

It's true the Ventures never played in England, however they did play live in Japan over the course of decades and were still touring Japan as late as 2003 at least. Many of the live Japanese recordings overdubbed the crowd screams because the Japanese crowds were too well behaved. Specifically the "Live in Japan '65" doesn't sound like it has an undue amount of crowd overdubbing, if any. "Live in Japan '65" is really a great album.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006 09:55:42

Mosrite amps, according to Semie in a recent Vintage Guitar Magazine interview, were made by Waters Connelly. They made 1000 amps and they all had a bad tremolo circuit that shorted the amp out. They were a big part of the downfall of Mosrite in 1969. The Ventures with the Showmans and Bassman RULE!

chad3006
There are several Japanese Ventures tribute bands who seem to be sticklers for details and prefer vintage Mosrite guitars and Fender amps. Here's a link to some photos. In one photo Nokie's apparently using a blonde Fender amp and the Mosrites are the early bound/sidejack '63's.

The logos on the amps are apparently Guyatone.

KK

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

I found an Interview with Don Wilson ( reprinted from Vintage Guitar Magazine - March 1997). Don stated that in the "Beloved Invaders " movie he played through a white tolex Showman. He also mentioned that on the Album "The Ventures on Stage" he recolects using a piggyback back that he said may have been a Mosrite prototype ( which ended up stolen ). Hope this helps........... Wink

wow, thanks for all the helpful replies, guys! this is all great information but it seems like we have'nt quite cracked it yet. i never really thought about it but the overdriven sound does have solid-state like qualities to it. sort of stiff and fuzzy but thats something i really love about it. i wish i could find a pedal that would get this sort of sound running through a twin or showman. maybe a very raspy fuzz type pedal that can be run nearly clean. Question i dont think any of those exist :wink:.

Tim

Maybe these were "Fenler" amps...

The Scimitars

I'm in agreeance with Ivan here, as when I listen to the Video's audio, the Audience track is so obviously a loop. you can time the loud high pitched whisltes down to the second.
almost as sad as some of the Heavy Metal live albums, that were all studio overdubs.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

IvanP

WoodyJ
IMO, this was the best, most kick-ass live album that The Ventures ever recorded.

Woody, that's probably because it wasn't actually a 'live' album!! Well, it wasn't recorded in front of an audience, anyway. Read the liner notes to the CD reissue. The whole thing was recorded in some warehouse. They NEVER played live in Great Britain.

Sorry. Sad

Ivan

PS There was an in-depth discussion on Yahoo SG101 a year or few back about the amps pictured on the On Stage album. Somebody actually knew exactly what the amps were! I can't remember now, though. But I'm pretty sure they were solid state amps. And most certainly not what they actually used to record the On Stage album, which by any rate was done in the US. However, I think it's pretty certain that it was those circa-'62-'63 Showmans and Bassman that were used for the Live in Japan '65 album.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I could of swore I read that about their amps being non-Fenders...but after looking at the photos they almost have to be Fenders. Unless they were very clever knock-offs, like Magnetbox and Sorny.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian
Unless they were very clever knock-offs, like Magnetbox and Sorny.

Just so you know, Brian, at least one Simpsons-phile caught and loved this reference!

Rock ROTFL Cheers LMAO ROTFL Thumbs Up Groovy

~B~

my freind brought me back some cheap tweeters for my car from Africa and their brand name was SintONY. we had a good laugh about that one.

Tim

I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it.

The Scimitars

Guys.
I'm rather certain they were Guyatone solidstate amps.. "ICHIBAN" (the best) as the annoucer says.
Assuming you have access to an early 60s Mosrite with the hot (11.5K-13.5K pickups), the sound can be approximated rather closely with the early 80's Yamaha G100-xx series of amps (I use a G-100-II head and 4x12 cabinet). It's the only solidstate amp I own and I got it years back just to get that edgy, gritty sound heard on the 65 "Live" album. And it's RELIABLE!

The AWARD amps didn't pop up (then pop out with short circuits) until 67-68. Having played a few.. they plain out SUCK! Pretty to look at, though.
Ruined Mosrite, almost ruined the Ventures.. a real money pit.
They really didn't need the built in fuzztone if you catch my drift.
Long live the Showman..
JM

Goto Page: 1 2 Next